IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> William Gibson, Cyberpunk and Shadowrun, Discussion Thread...
Konsaki
post Dec 8 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,445

The FAQ thread was getting way too sidetracked on this topic, so I decided to try and do something by making this discussion thread. Feel free to discuss the effects William Gibson may or may not have had on Shadowrun and the Cyberpunk genre.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bishop186
post Dec 8 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,988

I played Shadowrun before I ever picked up a William Gibson book. But when I did read Neuromancer (or part of it -- I still need to finish it ^^;; ), the parallels were more than uncanny. I think it's obvious that Neuromancer had a huge impact on Shadowrun, if for no other reason than because Neuromancer, while it did not pioneer the Cyberpunk revolution, as I'll call it, did bring it to the front of people's minds and arouse their interest in it. Gibson's works had a large effect on other Cyberpunk works, other Cyberpunk works had a large effect on Shadowrun, therefore Gibson's writings probably did play a role in Shadowrun, if not actively then indeed passively through other books.

That said, I think Gibson is being a huge, virus-infected prick if he thinks that Shadowrun owes him anything. If anything else, at least in my case, he owes Shadowrun for getting another person interested in his works and getting another copy of his book sold. On that note, he owes the Computer Science industry a lot, too. I mean, I first heard of him through my CS buddies (I'm a CS major of course), Shadowrun just piqued my interest enough to pick up his book. He can sit up on his high-horse and bash Shadowrun for the merging of Cyberpunk and High Fantasy, or bitch that he didn't get credit where credit was due, all he damn-well pleases but the point is that nobody owes anybody anything, really.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Dec 8 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

William Gibson thinks he's to shadowrun, what Tolken is to D&D.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 8 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Has he ever said SR owes him anything? It's been a while since I read his statements, but my impression was that he was just disgusted by the idea of SR and wanting to distance himself from it.

I can't totally blame him for that. If you try to describe Shadowrun in five words or less, most easy descriptions will sound pretty stupid.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 8 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Well, the quote is ...

QUOTE (William Gibson)
SHADOWRUN: GAG ME WITH A SPOON

No relationship. No permission. Nothing. Nary a word exchanged, ever.

Except that the admixture of cyberspace and, spare me, *elves*, has always been more than I could bear to think about.

Emphasis mine. ;)

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Dec 8 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I read Neuromancer shortly before getting into SR1 (the short story Johnny Mnemonic was the inspiration for my courier-character, Tangent) & found it refreshing from the stuff I was reading at that time. I read the rest of his books (Burning Chrome, Mona Lisa Overdrive & Count Zero) & read the Mirrorshades anthology.

I would agree that Gibson, Sterling et al. of the Cyberpunk genre should be acknowledged for their influence & inspiration on the cyberpunk-themed RPG games. Anything more would be rather arrogant. If an author wanted to attach their name to a game (such as George RR Martin & his property, the Hedge Knight), they would do so, bringing in the lawyers to secure their rights. Creating a game from scratch is by no means easy, especially from a copyrighted source (I can point out past RPGs such as FASA's Star Trek & the Conan RPG).

If Gibson wants to distance himself from SR, that's his call.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 8 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

A bit more detail in this interview quote:

Peak: How do you feel about the the role-playing game systems out there that are obviously based on your work?

Gibson: To the extent that there was a Cyberpunk movement-and there wasn't, really, but to the extent that there was, the five or six people who I knew in 1981 who were doing this stuff and had a � radical aesthetic agenda, at least in terms of that pop-art form of science fiction, [and] one of the things that we were really conscious of was appropriation. Appropriation as a post-modern aesthetic and entrepreneurial strategy. So we were doing it too. We were� happily and gloriously lifting all sorts of flavours and colours from all over popular culture� and putting it together to our own ends. So when I see things like ShadowRun, the only negative thing I feel about it is that initial extreme revulsion at seeing my literary DNA mixed with elves. Somewhere somebody's sitting and saying 'I've got it! We're gonna do William Gibson and Tolkien!' Over my dead body!� But I don't have to bear any aesthetic responsibility for it. I've never earned a nickel, but I wouldn't sue them. It's a fair cop. I'm sure there are people who could sue me, if they were so inclined, for messing with their stuff. So it's just kind of amusing.

I don't think he likes the concept of Shadowrun, but he seems more indifferent than anything, to me.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 8 2006, 01:43 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'm thinking phrases like "extreme revulsion" and "gag me with a spoon", and even "over my dead body" indicate more than mere indifference.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Dec 8 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

I think it's pretty clear he doesn't actually know what SR is about. Or has never actually read Tolkien. I suppose I'd bet on the former.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Dec 8 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Honestly, who cares? Sure, he had a huge influence on cyberpunk (being the creator and all), but creations change. That he doesn't like elves is really immaterial to the hobby or the game.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Dec 8 2006, 02:14 AM
Post #11

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

He's a good writer and I read a great interview that he gave once. Why we have a thread here discussing his feelings on Shadowrun, I have no idea though.

I suspect he's rather unaware of the concerns here. However, if he's ever in the Bristol area, he's quite welcome to play in my game and try it out.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Dec 8 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

You edited out the munchies reference. Were you afraid that droves of DSers would be knocking on your door on game night? :)

+Quote Post
Dog
post Dec 8 2006, 03:15 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

I quite like the man's writing style, and his ideas.

From what I've read about him by others, and from his non-fiction writings, he seems like a bit of a pompous ass. YMMV

So, I look forward to his next works, and avoid getting to know the man.

(I do recall a dig in his last novel though, IIRC. I hope he doesn't keep that up.)

+Quote Post
De Badd Ass
post Dec 8 2006, 03:23 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,474

Clearly, William Gibson influenced the creators of Cyberpunk 2013. It is also clear that Gibson influenced the creators of Shadowrun more than Al Gore did. The term cyberspace appears in the bbb, and the terms internet and information superhighway do not. Could that be because Shadowrun was created after Gibson coined the term cyberspace and before Gore coined the term information superhighway and before he drafted the legislation that opened the internet to the public?

It is also clear that Gibson sees Shadowrun as the bastard child of Cyberpunk 2013 and Dungeons and Dragons, and is repulsed by the concept. The fact that the bastard Shadowrun became more popular than Cyberpunk 2013 is probably what gagged him. The truth is: Shadowrun is to Cyberpunk 2013 like Vanilla Ice is to Issac Hayes (creator of rap). It's enough to gag anyone.

The fact that Street Magic was produced before Unwired probably illustrates the relative importance of DnD and Cyberpunk in the Shadowrun mix - at least in the eyes of the player haters. {Do you like that pun?} I like Shadowrun; I like DnD, too.

How do you spot the DnD lovers in a Shadowrun game? They are the ones that complain about the amount of time spent dealing with the Matrix. Imagine how William Gibson feels about that!

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Dec 8 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 10,248

Does it honestly really matter what Gibson thinks?

It's like that adage about assholes and opinions and everyone's possession of one. So a guy that broke ground on cyberpunk doesn't like the game - the fifth world still turns, he's still a good writer, and Shadowrun's still a good game.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Dec 8 2006, 04:57 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

*applauds Marmot*

+Quote Post
De Badd Ass
post Dec 8 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Marmot)
Does it honestly really matter what Gibson thinks?

It's like that adage about assholes and opinions and everyone's possession of one.

If what people think really mattered then internet forums would be outlawed.

Instead we have freedom of speech, and you get what you pay for.

+Quote Post
Marmot
post Dec 8 2006, 06:53 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 10,248

Couldn't agree with you more. And neither can our old pal, Bill Gibson.

The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Dec 8 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #19

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

QUOTE (James McMurray)
You edited out the munchies reference. Were you afraid that droves of DSers would be knocking on your door on game night? :)

Wow! You're fast!

Alright, alright! If William Gibson shows up for a game, he can have munchies too. But he brings his own beer and illegals.

+Quote Post
De Badd Ass
post Dec 8 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Where is that door?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 8 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (De Badd Ass)
The truth is: Shadowrun is to Cyberpunk 2013 like Vanilla Ice is to Issac Hayes (creator of rap). It's enough to gag anyone.

+1 karma for hilarity and accuracy.

+Quote Post
lorechaser
post Dec 8 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 9,168

QUOTE (De Badd Ass @ Dec 7 2006, 10:23 PM)
How do you spot the DnD lovers in a Shadowrun game? They are the ones that complain about the amount of time spent dealing with the Matrix. Imagine how William Gibson feels about that!

Hey now!

I hate dealing with the Matrix because it's one player doing stuff for an hour while everyone else sits around and waits for the results.

I also hate players that want to run their astral quest during the game....

Gibson is an ass, and a technophobe. He's hardly a prophet, but he is a damn fine writer, imho. I have all his books, and steal liberally from his style from time to time.

So yeah, he's a guy. I think it's the fact that he's generally considered the granpappy of cyberpunk, and he labelled us as bastard children, that gets people's goat.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Dec 8 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (lorechaser)
So yeah, he's a guy. I think it's the fact that he's generally considered the granpappy of cyberpunk, and he labelled us as bastard children, that gets people's goat.

Hell, we sit around a table rolling dice we swiped from Yahtzee talking about how wizzer we are, Chummer. Can we really afford to take ourselves that seriously?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 8 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (lorechaser)
I hate dealing with the Matrix because it's one player doing stuff for an hour while everyone else sits around and waits for the results.

*Stab* *Stab* *Stab*

~J

+Quote Post
De Badd Ass
post Dec 8 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Dec 8 2006, 03:49 PM)

*Stab* *Stab* *Stab*

~J

Upgrade to SR4 so everyone can hack. So what if that makes hacking take n^2 times as long (where n = number of simultaneous hackers).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.