Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> my comp
Hocus Pocus
post Oct 7 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

well I've been saving up to buy some ram from my dell 8200 comp and I've finally have enough to buy 2 sticks of 256ram total of 768.

it's got me thinking that even that will not be sufficient for most games coming around the bend. Since I'm getting a new job which pays better maybe I could save for that instead of the ram and buy a new rig, keeping my dell monitor. My ram will cost like 170 bucks can one build a decent gaming rig in the neighborhood of 5-8 hundred bucks?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Oct 7 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #2

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Well it depends. Your first mistake was getting a Dell (damm them and their propritary everything), so I cant even tell you to just peicemeal it.

If you can find a case (with pref a 350-400 watt power supply), you can pick up a pretty reasonable motherboard/CPU/Ram combo for 3-4 hundred, a repectable video card for another 200, and a 80 gig HD for about 100. So its possible, just not easy.

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Oct 13 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

ty lindt

been confering with a few friends and my buds at UW and the general consensus is to wait a year

crappy rdr ram is what is the big deal seeing as how I got a dimension 8200. Ima gonna upgrade for now so that my WOW experience can be a little better

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Oct 13 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

You probably want to shoot for at least a gig of good RAM for alot of the newer games. I'm still at 512 and I hate it.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 14 2005, 02:07 AM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Top of the line come with 2GB of RAM and more now, so yeah 1GB is a minimum.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Oct 24 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #6

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Mwave.com is your friend.

AMD 2.2 ghz 3200 proc
1gig of ram
Asus MB
Nvidie Gforce 6600
Tsunami case

Total= >$600.00

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 5 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus)
been confering with a few friends and my buds at UW and the general consensus is to wait a year

That's always true.

That said, you need to define "decent gaming rig". If you mean something that plays new games well at medium quality settings, the answer is usually. If you mean something that plays games from a year or two ago well at high quality settings, the answer is yes. If you mean something that plays new games well at high quality settings, the answer is unlikely but you may get lucky. If you mean something that will play games coming out a year from now well at high quality settings, quadruple or quintuple that price.

~J

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Nov 8 2005, 07:33 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

lol

i had got 512 more of samsung ram from newegg.com and it works great! I now have 768 and i don't lag at all through Iron Forage in WOW. I have the graphics off as I'm not too concerned with how it looks but how it plays. I'd like to get a new comp still next year, but considering my wife raised h e double hocky sticks at me buying this ram it is unlikely.

for now it suits my purposed quite well and I'm very happy i got it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.