Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drakes, Allowing them as PC's
Stormdrake
post Sep 25 2003, 06:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,623

Has any one allowed one or more of their players to be a drake? The concept sounds pretty cool but want to hear how others have handled it, if they have.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Sep 25 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

I'm thinking of making one of the PCs in my group a drake without them knowing it. I'm starting the campaign in the 2050s though, so the comet won't be around for a while to "wake" him. Oh, and he used to belong to Lofwyr. Needless to say, this is going to be LOTS of fun watching the PCs try to figure out what SK security keeps trying to snag them until the comet comes...

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 25 2003, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I have. The character ended up getting snatched away by forces unknown after a hellish week or so of life.

~J

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 25 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Because it was too unbalanced or for some other reason?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 25 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Because it was too unbalanced, and not in the player's favour. Being hunted by dragons isn't a good thing.
Well, that and the character had just managed to botch a run, leaving themself vulnerable.

~J

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Sep 26 2003, 12:36 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Yeah, I'm not exactly certain why anyone would ever want to play a drake given that they're hunted by dragons. Dragons being entities that have virtually limitless resources. If GMed properly, that's unavoidable death. If not, it makes for a really strong PC.

I'll only use them as NPCs.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 26 2003, 01:30 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Same here, I only use drakes as NPCs. And not often...

Mostly as antagonists/enemies.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Sep 26 2003, 02:10 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

While I have yet to have a drake in my game or play one, I have created one that might be played in the future and considered how I might incorporate one into my game. If they take the hunted flaw version of the drake, then the only real chance of survival is to take the Draco Foundation up on its offer for help, which opens up many an interesting plot hook. Alternatively, depending on which dragon ends up snaging them, there are possibilities that don't necessarily end their career. A dragon could quite feasibly use a drake while keeping them in there career as a shadowrunner, it gives the dragon a team of shadowrunners to call on, and if they play there cards right a good spy on the corporate world at large.
The one drake I've created in hopes of playing some day is a pirate in service of the Sea Dragon, who most of the time acts as a normal pirate and reports back to the Sea Dragon everything of note, and will try to get the ship she's on (she's first mate) to get involved in things when the Sea Dragon needs something done.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 26 2003, 04:55 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

While having to take the flaw of hunted at a -6 means trouble the book does say that the dragons know when you first change. It does not say they know exactly were you are or who. Yes it should be a pain to hide but then as a shadowrunner you are always hiding any how. If this does not appeal to the individual as stated earlier you could take the draco corp up on their offer which as written seems to allow the character to still pursue his or hers own life. The other option is of course to buy the +6 edge of dragon patronage and picking a exsisting dragon or making one up with your ST. A fun twist could be that you are working for a adult dragon and not a great. He could be an up and comer that needs all of his assets in the field rather than as a voice box for the public. Just a couple ideas. Would love to try playing one and see what happens.

+Quote Post
Raén
post Sep 26 2003, 07:49 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 1,114

From what I understood, drakes are hunted by Dragons, but those dragons don't want to kill them, they want to recruit them, so I don't think a dragon would kill a drake, unless, of course, the drake said: "I prefer to work for another dragon..."

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 26 2003, 09:17 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Sep 26 2003, 04:55 AM)
While having to take the flaw of hunted at a -6 means trouble the book does say that the dragons know when you first change.  It does not say they know exactly were you are or who.  Yes it should be a pain to hide but then as a shadowrunner you are always hiding any how.

The difference is a normal shadowrunner doesn't have Scale constantly tracking down his ass...

+Quote Post
Nightlynx
post Sep 26 2003, 11:22 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 5,644

I'd allow one of my players to be a Drake if I start a new campaign and if that campaign is designed to include the "disturbances" caused by the drake and his hunters/master.

In a "normal" campaign, I won't allow drakes like I won't allow to freaky SURGEies or something similar. :evil:

Greetings,
Nyx

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 26 2003, 03:01 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Something else to add to the mix. Dragons can summon both elementals and spirits. Does that ability pass on to drakes? They after all were created by dragon magic and share many of their physical powers. If I were running a story I would allow the constructed ones this ability but say the bred ones have either lost it or never had this ability due to the decrease in their power.

As to the hunted flaw that comes with being a drake this might be the best argument for doing it to established characters rather than newly created ones. Established characters have built a base of contacts and resources to aid them in dodging the scaly inquisition.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Sep 26 2003, 03:06 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

The ability to summon multiple types of spirits isn't limited to dragons (IEs should be able to do it, too, ie, the Path of the Righ). Being able to do this is more of a statement on how the person learns his magic and what shapes his learning. It is possible that any dragon mage raised by a dragon would gain this ability (the dragon having helped the drake form his impressions of magic, etc, even before he awakened). However, most of the drakes popping up out there would be subject to the same envirnmental factors which limit the rest of metahumanity.

Someone will eventually develop a way of thinking that will let them do the same thing, and eventually there will be little or no difference between mages and shaman (what's the plural of that one? Hmm...). That's a ways off, though.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 26 2003, 03:30 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Than pretty much all of the created Drakes would have this ability as they were manufactured by their dragon creator. The breeding drakes would like you said have to learn their magic from the human perception.

There are ways around the whole hunted by dragons thing. An example would be that a character has the flaw but his first manifestation occurred behind mirrored or reflecting wards. (These wards are from SRII Awakenings book and they hide what occurs magically within them from outside view.) So instead of the character starting with a flat -6 flaw of hunted you say he has a dark secret of -2 or -3 with a combination of hunted of -3 or -4. Done this way the hunted aspect would be more of a general hunt by all dragons for drakes rather than the specific character. Of course should the characters dark secret become general knowledge than the hunted flaw goes back up to -6. In this case the player would not get any corresponding build points for dark secret or hunted. Just a thought.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Sep 26 2003, 03:52 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Stormdrake)
These wards are from SRII Awakenings book and they hide what occurs magically within them from outside view.

Masking wards, MitS page 89. The SR3 version of it, at least.

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Sep 26 2003, 05:01 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

Alternatively (although this would be hard/impossible for a starting character as it requires being an initiate), the drake could have first transformed on a metaplane, which should be outside of even great dragons normal sensory range. It might be fun to start a character who will be a drake, and so as not to completely derail whatever the rest of the campaign is have them change while on a astral quest.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 27 2003, 03:05 AM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Basically:

Drakes have the potential to be amazingly powerful as well as amazingly complicated critters.

As long as the player isn't trying to be a twinkie and just be bigger/badder/uglier than anything else.

In the hands of a role-player, it could be quite entertaining.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 27 2003, 03:08 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I'd allow someone who chose to be a drake player in a campaign starting back in 2050 to manifest at the end of Harlequin's Back.

+Quote Post
Nightlynx
post Sep 27 2003, 04:16 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 5,644

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Sep 26 2003, 10:01 AM)
Something else to add to the mix.  Dragons can summon both elementals and spirits.  Does that ability pass on to drakes?

Since PC-drakes (remember, it is recommended, that only bred drakes become PCs) with magic abilities are created like any other magic using PC, I'd say NO (exept your standart magic tradition allows you to...).

Greetings,
Nyx

+Quote Post
Person 404
post Sep 28 2003, 04:00 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,696

QUOTE (Synner)
The difference is a normal shadowrunner doesn't have Scale constantly tracking down his ass...

Tell that to my old GM...

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 28 2003, 04:36 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Too true. The amount of abuse a drake character takes from the hunted flaw is up to the gm really. The more the player flaunts his drakehood the more he is hunted by the dragons is my feeling.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 28 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #23

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

I strongly beg to differ.

Well. Maybe not.

I guess that's who comes to harass you if you personally piss in Lofwyr's wheaties, realize it, and then make a mad dash to do like 2 or 3 things to screw over his competitors.

I hate that bastard Scale.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Sep 29 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

Pardon, but who is this Scale person? A published NPC? If so, then what are his stats like (without giving too much away)?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 29 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Sacle is a published NPC (references available on my SR/ED page), and as has been recently revealed in DotSW (like we thought) he is Lofwyr's drake. A True Drake, not Bred. No stats are given, but assume he's your average drake and then start adding until you hit Superhuman.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 03:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.