IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Shadowrun Missions] FAQ Schmaq, Yeah right!
Grimtooth
post Oct 13 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,430

Will I be able to convert my SR3 character to SR4?
Characters will not be converted between systems. Instead, new characters will be created using the SR4 rules and 400 build points. HOWEVER, KARMA WILL TRANSFER FROM YOUR SR3 CHARACTER TO YOUR SR4 CHARACTER. If that means that you're playing the exact same character re-created under the new rules, then more power to you. If that means that you'd rather start fresh with a completely different character concept, that's perfectly acceptable as well.

Nice...NOT!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 13 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Well it is faster than trying to convert a very complex (read very long running) character to SR4 and even hoping to get the flavour right.
Though it does suck that many character will seemingly suffer near catastrophic loss of resources and equipment as nuyen doesn't seem to be translated.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Oct 13 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Edited the title to clarify that you are referring to the SR Missions FAQ.

Considering the changes in power level between editions, this one seems a no brainer to me.

Bull

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 13 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Thanks for clearing that up Bull.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Oct 13 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

I should also note that few SR Missions character will be all that powerful since the program is only a year and a half old or so, and there were, IIRC, fewer than a dozen official Missions adventures for those characters. So most characters will have maybe 50 Karma or so invested?

Bull

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 13 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

It was a rough couple of years moneywise. :dead: There is a year gap between now and when the conversion starts, that could give them time to work out a cash conversion rate....although that could get very screwy too given how much wealth some character types accumulate.

P.S. Trying to convert your home game would be tough enough, i wouldn't even consider trying to drag something like Missions forward through to 2070 doing component by component conversions. You are already humped with the 5 year gap to begin with. Not that it doesn't suck for many people playing, but the nightmare to try doing that....

+Quote Post
Bull
post Oct 13 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #7

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Thanks for clearing that up Bull.

Well, I'm assuming that's what he's referring to, since he cut n pasted from that FAQ. It's possible Grimtooth mistook that for an official SR4 FAQ and thought it meant that there would not be any SR4 conversion guidelines done. AFAIK, those are still planned, though Adam probably be in a better position to confirm it and provide any details (If he can).

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Oct 13 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (Bull)
I should also note that few SR Missions character will be all that powerful since the program is only a year and a half old or so, and there were, IIRC, fewer than a dozen official Missions adventures for those characters. So most characters will have maybe 50 Karma or so invested?

Bull

There are currently 12 SRM adventures available. The last two of the 3rd edition story arc will be premiering at GenCon SoCal. So, that's 14 total adventures.

Most of those adventures have a maximum adventure award of 6 Karma. So, a player who scored perfectly every time, could have a maximum of about 84 Karma. As Bull surmised, we're not talking high end characters, but they could be classified as Veterans.

Now, to clarify, this is NOT new news. I posted this information to the Shadowrun Missions forum over a month ago.

But, to spell things out specifically, I think it's safe to say that any set of conversion rules from SR3 to SR4 will involve considerable GM input. There's an awful lot of wiggle room required in any of the conversion suggestions that have been posted here.

There just is no reasonable way to have every single player get their character sheets to one GM who will make appropriate judgment calls and then return them to the appropriate player. Sorry, that's not practical.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Oct 13 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (blakkie)
It was a rough couple of years moneywise. :dead: There is a year gap between now and when the conversion starts, that could give them time to work out a cash conversion rate.

The value of money has changed, fairly significantly, between SR3 and SR4. Because of that, money will absolutely not be transfered for SRM characters.

As far as fluff wise -- it's pretty easy to blame financial loss on The Crash.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 13 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

I dunno, I don't see the crash taking out several hundred thousand in certified cred sticks. but then again, you're referring to Missions, which is a different powerscale from what I'm hearing.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Oct 13 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #11

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (Bull @ Oct 13 2005, 09:18 AM)
I should also note that few SR Missions character will be all that powerful since the program is only a year and a half old or so, and there were, IIRC, fewer than a dozen official Missions adventures for those characters.  So most characters will have maybe 50 Karma or so invested?

Bull

There are currently 12 SRM adventures available. The last two of the 3rd edition story arc will be premiering at GenCon SoCal. So, that's 14 total adventures.

I'm so behind the times ;)

And of course Dunnman knows of which he speaks, since he's the head Missions honcho these days :]

QUOTE (Nikoli)
I dunno, I don't see the crash taking out several hundred thousand in certified cred sticks. but then again, you're referring to Missions, which is a different powerscale from what I'm hearing.

It's not so much that Missions runs on a differnet powerscale, it's that SR4 does. A couple hundred grand in SR3 was a decent amount of savings, the results of hoarding your cash from a few good runs. In SR4, a couple hundred grand makes you fraggin rich.

I almost wish that Fanpro had decided to change the main monetary unit for the game. Said something like "After the Crash 2.0, the value of the Nuyen plummetted, and the Drahmbulian Drachma gained poularity among the corps, becoming gloabally accepted monetary standard. the Nuyen is now worth 1/4 or less of it's original value in the marketplace of 2070"

On the whole, most things like Cyberware and the like were reduced to about 25% of their original cost. A lot of other gear and weapons had their values looked at and adjusted, usually to be a bit cheaper, though not all were as drastically reduced.

Bull

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 13 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #12

Chicago Survivor

Lifestyles and large passenger type vehicles mainly stayed very close in price, which buggers rigger characters as they need more skill points to be as combat effective (the fluff text about them not having to focus on counter hacking be damned)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 13 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i suppose that depends on how you look at it.

1) drones are very affordable, IMO. 5k for a steel lynx, for example.
2) they don't have to sink ludicrous amounts of money into a VCR. it is now incredibly cheaper.
3) they no longer need a remote deck to drone rig, which was also incredibly expensive once you get to higher rating ones.

also, because the vehicle skills have been streamlined (specifically, there's 3 or 4 now i believe... can't remember), riggers can now also be good at other things. like hacking, for example.

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Oct 13 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,523

Aye, made me a Vat Job with Drone support.. . Finally I can combine those two fairly well without seriously gimping the other..

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Oct 14 2005, 02:36 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

time-wise it's 5 years (at least) between SR3 Missions and SR4 Missions anyhow, so cash and karma conversions mean squat. Basically, you are making a completely new runner, with a completely new history - NOT converting your old runner.

If you choose to call him the same name etc, that's up to you, but the only thing is that long-standing SRM players are 'blessed' with a boost to karma on the new character equal to what they had earned. Basically so they won't bitch and moan, I'm guessing :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Oct 14 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 639

Check out:
http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/missions/srm_f...faq.shtml#SR401

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.