IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mortality rate for true n00bs?, Should they survive their first run?
PCs (and GM) made poor choices on the PCs very first run ever. Should the offending PCs survive?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 93
Guests cannot vote 
nezumi
post Oct 13 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

So here's the background... I'm running an online game of about half a dozen teenagers. One of them has some background with SR. One of them seems to be a good (if aggressive) player. Most of the rest only post intermittently. I had explained several times they're not Neo, they need to give the cops a good leeway and keep to the shadows.

The GM (myself) made the pay waaay too low ($4k per person, plus expenses), but it was supposed to be a milk run. Break into a rented floor in an office building in an A section of town, grab a box, and get gone. The 'experienced' SR player made a few mistakes, but got out, with two of his buddies in tow. They're safe.

However, the 'aggressive' player rounded up half a dozen guards, drugged and shot them, but left one alive and conscious (who had an internal cyber radio). He missed hints that shooting the guards may be a poor idea. He ignored messages from the experienced character that running would be good. He ignored the decker (PC, then NPC, as the player disappeared) warnings that the cops were surrounding the building. He WAS smart enough to get captured disguised as one of the hostages, rather than go down with guns blazing.

His friend didn't post anything (except, literally "I run to a coffin motel") As such, I assumed he followed along with his buddy, which means he too is up the creek, except doubly so because his crime is not playing at all, rather than playing but overestimating himself.

So these two guys get caught. I figure, well, color me sideways, what do I do with these two characters? The quiet one I don't mind killing off (if you don't care enough to post, well...) So they both get carted away to the hospital, under guard. LS decides to question them. Pretty standard, good cop bad cop, but I figure they're more interested in the employer than the runner, so they're willing to give the PCs a criminal SIN, a tracking device, a fake package, and do a sting on the employer. A big owie to their reputation, plus a criminal SIN, but at least they survive, right? I warn them a few times they're in over their head.

The 'good' player figures this out pretty quick. He accepts the deal, and asks for the cop's cell phone to call some guys. He *KNOWS* it's bugged. But he calls his decker to tell everyone to get ready. I know he's planning on getting them to help him break out, he just hasn't said that quite yet.

The other guy suddenly realizes that if he doesn't start posting, he's going to get dead. So he makes up some dumb, cock and bull story about how a troll with dreads threatened his family into doing it.

So the cops have two dummies sitting in their hospital. One is talking on their tapped phone about getting a jail break. One is clearly lying through his teeth (his story doesn't match up with his buddy's, for one, and his buddy is a much better talker).

And there I am. I submit myself to your lashing. Should I start explaining how to make new characters, or let them out on an 'administrative mix-up'?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Oct 13 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Creating a god with his own hands

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,364

kill them, then find a humorous way to show a play-by-play of thier mistakes. hopefully they'll learn the lesson.

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Oct 13 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,523

Kill the moron, and let the rest of the runner team deal with the semi moron after they get shot up and getting hints that its the semi morons fault.. ;)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 13 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

better yet, have the Johnson hire the ones that made it out to clean up the mess the remainder of the team made.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 13 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

If the aggressive player's character was in disguise and pretending to be a hostage, how did Lone Star know he isn't one?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 13 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Do they have any experience with gritty heist games? Or even movies, for that matter?

They may not a proper frame of reference to conceptually understand the idea of "Shadowrun."

For honest-to-Goddess newbs, a gentler introduction to Shadowrun might have been in order before starting something as (relatively) complex as a corp run.

-Siege

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 13 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Nikoli)
better yet, have the Johnson hire the ones that made it out to clean up the mess the remainder of the team made.

Oohh... Good idea.

How does LS know?

1) Their janitor IDs don't check out (later examination show that the database was tampered with
2) No SINs
3) A suspicious amount of gear (no weapons, they were smart enough to throw their guns away before getting caught, but transceivers and the like) and both of those caught were physical adepts. Not your normal janitor.
4) Security guard testimony. Remember, they left one alive and conscious, and they never used any masks. She was using her headware radio to give live, minute by minute reports on them
5) Watcher spirits caught the end of things as they cut cyber out of the dead security guards

I'm sure they could do fingerprints as well, but #4 pretty much seals it in my book (even though the one guy said she was secretly running a drug ring, and that's why SHE killed everyone and tried to blame it on the new guys.)

+Quote Post
brohopcp
post Oct 13 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,770

Say the deal's off because the runners are obviously lying and have Lonestar send them through the legal system. When security officers end up dead, the legal system consists of a sham trial and death row for a month, ending with execution. Even if they turn in their team and Johnson the best they should get would be life in prison.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 13 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Siege)
Do they have any experience with gritty heist games? Or even movies, for that matter?

I was under the impression that was the case. Heck, when the LS officer got a detail wrong, one player assumed he was actually a fake officer in disguise, and the Johnson set them up as a fall team. One of the players (the one with the SR experience) is actually running another game with them all, but it's post-apocalyptic, kill all the horror/zombie/shedims as they come out of the ground.

You're right though, the only other experience I gave them before this (admitedly, very easy) corporate break-in was Food Fight (wheee!) However, they did deal with the footwork step pretty well.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 13 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Needless comment deleted.

As for the relative seriousness of consequences, kill them. If they got this sloppy while running against a more serious opponent, death would be the least of their worries.

As this point, you're teaching the players, not the characters.

Just be clear with the consequences - like, "your mug has been plastered all over the trid with a 25k reward...is that a spark of recognition in that squatter's eye? Wow, I'd bet that much cred would buy a couple of bikes for that go-gang..."

Understanding why getting caught and being dragged into the light is a bad thing for this career choice.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 13 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #11

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Basically, you should explain to the players, all of them, that such stuff isn't tolerated by the authorities and that you'll continue to play it out as it would happen were they experienced. Then make new characters and start them off slow and get them used to the grit of your Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Oct 13 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 78

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Basically, you should explain to the players, all of them, that such stuff isn't tolerated by the authorities and that you'll continue to play it out as it would happen were they experienced. Then make new characters and start them off slow and get them used to the grit of your Shadowrun.

That would be my thought too. If you let them out, you haven't convinced them that going up against extreme odds like that is to be avoided, you've taught them that they can live through anything providing they're not stupid enough to get shot.

Personally, I'd have one or both of them "die resisting arrest" and any survivors thrown in gaol. Then, they can create a new character (even give them some karma to bring them up to the other characters if you want). The idea is not to penalise them for being new and making a mistake, but to show them as new players, that doing something dumb will have repercussions

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Oct 13 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Heh, I started getting worried :P

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 14 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #14

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I voted for maim but not kill, but after acutally reading the post, I think I'll change my vote to kill 'em. Otherwise they'll just do it again.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 14 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #15

I don't think I've ever seen such an evenly matched poll. 40 votes, almost perfectly split. One vote different and it would be 10/10/10/10.

*sigh*

Well, as its shaping up, the REAL player might actually be asking his buddies to help with the sting, which works, but the other guy is getting dumber. I think I might just give him a 'window of opportunity' to escape... directly into the firing arc of a man with an assault rifle. It might be less painful for everyone involved.

(And no, Eldritch, it's not you :P I'll put up a different poll for 'what should a mysterious monster leave implanted in my decker?')

+Quote Post
Sicarius
post Oct 14 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,270

maybe Lonestar is pressured by the Johnson to let him go.. only to walk right into the sights of the hitters brought in to clean up the mess.
But i don't know how powerful their Johnson was.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 14 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #17

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Bail Hearing + 200,000 nuyen bond + yak or mafia loanshark + criminal record flaw + jailhouse gangrape = sufficiently traumatized runners, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 14 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #18

Their Johnson is a anti-metahuman policlub member out of Reston (or whatever that agragarian part of the city is) who hired them to steal some minor piece of technology that'll be used as a bomb.

Not really a super well-paid sort of guy, and unlikely to care for a keebler who dun got himself locked up.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Oct 14 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

Put them up against a character beefed up with 700 karma or so... I can provide mine if ya want... they will all be dead in the initiative phase. :S

+Quote Post
Sicarius
post Oct 14 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,270

Ooh.. I'm thinking Policlub members in County finishing him off in a shower shivving.

cheaper that way.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 14 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #21

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Mystweaver)
Put them up against a character beefed up with 700 karma or so... I can provide mine if ya want... they will all be dead in the initiative phase. :S

Ooh, badass. Sometime in the initiative phase, they're all dead! That's totally hardcore! You rule!

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Oct 14 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

QUOTE (nezumi)
(And no, Eldritch, it's not you :P I'll put up a different poll for 'what should a mysterious monster leave implanted in my decker?')

D'Oh!!!! *smack*

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Oct 14 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

If you have the right kind of players , you should just let the dice fall where they may.

That doesn't mean you should make things as hard on them as you possibly could, given the circumstances - people sometimes get lucky breaks, after all, and if it helps the game run smoothly... However, once you decide how to respond to their actions, play things out to the logical outcome.

If your idea of what SR should be like is what they're looking for in a game, they'll learn from the mistakes and adapt.

On the other hand, if you're not on the same page when it comes to what you should expect from the game, taking it easy on them isn't going to help, unless you're willing to do that every time they get into trouble... because you shouldn't expect your players to change. It might happen, but counting on it is a mistake.

+Quote Post
Dragonscript
post Oct 14 2005, 03:36 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 7,812

I tend to be very forgiving with noobs if they are willing to learn. But if he killed 6 guards in cold blood for no reason then his character goes to jail and gets executed. He can always create a new one. It is a harsh lesson, but one that must be learned.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 14 2005, 07:46 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Yes. That you never stop after only six guards.

~J

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.