Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Machine Guns Yay!, Minimums...
Gothic Rose
post Oct 16 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,803

Alright, so I have a question. What would be the minimum strength/size to carry around, say, a Stoner-Ares M202 MMG?

I was bored, and started making up a dwarf street sam with a penchant for using heavy weapons - including a tricked out SAM202 MMG. However, is a Str 5 dwarf going to be able to walk around with one? Would having Gyrostabilization help?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xenith
post Oct 16 2005, 02:36 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,361

Thats something I have on my wish list; rules on how strength affects heavy weapons and recoil and such... ah well. :)

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Oct 16 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Strength 5 would be pretty damn adequite.....Thats really strong....

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 16 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Assuming "MMG" in SR4-terminology basically refers to a GPMG and not a crew-served, tripod or vehicle mounted MMG, then STR 5 should definitely be enough. These three guys don't seem all that muscular.

Firing such a weapon accurately without a bipod or a gyromount would be another matter altogether -- the bulk and the mass extended far in front of you combined with the recoil and the shaking you get with a belt-fed machine gun make for an interesting shooting experience from the standing unsupported position. Not impossible for an unmodified human, of course, but there should probably be some penalties in place.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Oct 16 2005, 09:06 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

Awesome, thanks. A dwarf with a gyrostabilizer won't have any problems then, cool.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 16 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Nah - the entire purpose of a gyrostabilizer is to turn a humanoid into walking tripod for heavy weapons.

I still wouldn't recommend complicated athletics stunts wearing that kit.

Schlepping belts of ammo isn't much fun either.

-Siege

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Oct 16 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Would having Gyrostabilization help?

If you have a chance, rent Aliens sometime. In particular, pay attention to Vasquez and Drake, and then ask yourself "other than being shorter, is my dwarf character much different than these two?"

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Oct 16 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Siege)
Nah - the entire purpose of a gyrostabilizer is to turn a humanoid into walking tripod for heavy weapons.

-Siege

You mean...I shouldn't use my Gymnastics for dodging purposes while carruing a heavy machine gun in a gyromount??? :eek:

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Oct 17 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

I always played gyromounts as actively resisting the motions of the characters. If they wanted to run in anything but a straight line, let alone do flips, they had to shut it off or take penalties.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 17 2005, 06:39 AM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (snowRaven)
QUOTE (Siege @ Oct 16 2005, 06:35 PM)
Nah - the entire purpose of a gyrostabilizer is to turn a humanoid into  walking tripod for heavy weapons.

-Siege

You mean...I shouldn't use my Gymnastics for dodging purposes while carruing a heavy machine gun in a gyromount??? :eek:

Heh.

I knew some players who would argue that, because it wasn't spelled out explicitly that they couldn't, they could...:grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 17 2005, 11:35 AM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Oct 16 2005, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (Siege @ Oct 16 2005, 06:35 PM)
Nah - the entire purpose of a gyrostabilizer is to turn a humanoid into  walking tripod for heavy weapons.

-Siege

Of course you can. The gyro of the weapon will help stablize it to allow you to more yourself around it. So it becomes more like a gymnastic horse than something you spin along with yourself. ;)

See, no problems with the RAW (or at least no more than "Gymnastics" carrying a 15kg backpack and an AR). Now stop being a bunch of weenies. :P

EDIT: That includes you too Siege. ;) Oh, and the extra belts of ammo (about 4.5kg/piece)? Like the song says: "That's what friends are for." Although you might consider using clips instead unless the weapon is vehicle mounted.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 17 2005, 12:04 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (blakkie)
Oh, and the extra belts of ammo (about 4.5kg/piece)?

Does SR4 include weights for ammo that make sense? 4.5kg is a decent estimate for 200 rounds of linked polymer-cased 7.62x51mm ammunition.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 17 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #13

Dragon

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 17 2005, 06:04 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
Oh, and the extra belts of ammo (about 4.5kg/piece)?

Does SR4 include weights for ammo that make sense? 4.5kg is a decent estimate for 200 rounds of linked polymer-cased 7.62x51mm ammunition.

No, i was going by reference material i found that gave a rough weight of 10lbs. per 100 rounds of belt NATO 7.62mm. Though as you point out switching from a metal casing could drop that.

SR4 doesn't have weights for equipment, which is definately an "improvement" over SR3. ;)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 17 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

QUOTE (blakkie)
10lbs. per 100 rounds of belt NATO 7.62mm.

Maybe if it's a very heavy belt box. The cartridges themselves (assuming M80 NATO Ball) weigh 2.54kg, the links shouldn't raise it much over 3kg. Since half the weight of those cartridges comes from the case, going with different materials for it might cut it down by as much as 30-40%. Going caseless could halve the weight, but I should think belt feeds are always going to require at least some form of rigid casing.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 17 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #15

Dragon

The reference i found gave only a rough weight, not technical numbers. So being off a few pounds doesn't surprise me. Thanks for the info.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 10:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.