Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Extraterritoriality, Eh?
caramel frappuci...
post Oct 18 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,782

So I was flipping through a copy of Corporate Download and for some reason, it says that corporate vehicles are not officially considered extraterritorial by the government. My question is, why not? As long as the transport vehicle bears the corporate logo and is actually owned by the corporation, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be considered sovereign.

Anybody know?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 18 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

IRL, a nation's military vehicles do not constitute sovereign territory.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Oct 18 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Their diplomatic vehicles are, which is the nearest analogy.

And they are extraterritorial. See the example about Mercury Express on pp.14-15.

+Quote Post
caramel frappuci...
post Oct 18 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,782

IIRC, the Mercury delivery vehicles aren't extraterritorial per se - they're just exempt from import/export laws.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Oct 18 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

QUOTE (SL James)
Their diplomatic vehicles are, which is the nearest analogy.

And they are extraterritorial. See the example about Mercury transport or shipping or something, an Ares subsidiary.

You think that an Ares transport truck is analogous to a diplomat's limo? *shrug* Okay, if that analogy seems reasonable to you then sure--corporate vehicles are extraterritorial. It wouldn't fly in my campaign, but that's moot.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 18 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #6

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If the vehicle is carrying Damian Knight then it is extraterritorial.
A vehicle can be considered extraterritorial properity if it is part of a diplomatic mission and/or it is carrying a diplomat or a head of state.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Oct 18 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
A vehicle can be considered extraterritorial properity if it is part of a diplomatic mission and/or it is carrying a diplomat or a head of state.

I don't know what you're talking about, I am a part of the Corporate Court, on a diplomatic mission to Athabaskan.

You are part of the Shadowrunner Alliance, and a TRAITOR! Take her away!

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Oct 18 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #8

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

I don't know what you're talking about, I am a part of the Corporate Court, on a diplomatic mission to Athabaskan.

You are part of the Shadowrunner Alliance, and a TRAITOR! Take her away!

Dumpshock does not have a smiley for how hard I'm laughing, or for how many cookies in the shape of a nuyen you deservew.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 19 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #9

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Oct 18 2005, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

You are part of the Shadowrunner Alliance, and a COMMIE MUTANT TRAITOR! Take her away!

Fixed

+Quote Post
Nath
post Oct 19 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Megacorporate extraterritoriality is not an extension of diplomatic extraterritoriality. It's a completely different set of rules, that happen to give similar privileges.

Diplomatic extraterritoriality applies only to assets used for diplomatic representation, be it a building or a vehicle. It does not apply to any assets owned by a foreign state. Things like "Cultural institutes" are not extraterritorial, nor are the estates owned by reigning royal families, or foreign branches of state-owned companies.

Megacorporate extraterritoriality applies to every long-term facilities of megacorporation, if proprely delimitated and labelled. There's no requirement as to the purpose of the facility. Vehicle does not benefit from extraterritoriality because it is considered that their very ability to move prevent them rom being 'long-term' in the intended meaning.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 19 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

You are part of the Shadowrunner Alliance, and a COMMIE MUTANT TRAITOR! Take her away!

Fixed

Yeah, but that kinda ruins the part where the guy saying the bolded section has a cyberarm, is a powerful Mystic Adept with a wicked telekinetic manipulation geased to making a choking motion with his hand, and is wearing a black environment suit. :D

Who's your daddy now? :rotfl:

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Oct 19 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 18 2005, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Fixed

Yeah, but that kinda ruins the part where the guy saying the bolded section has a cyberarm, is a powerful Mystic Adept with a wicked telekinetic manipulation geased to making a choking motion with his hand, and is wearing a black environment suit. :D

Who's your daddy now? :rotfl:

Cyberarm, a pair of cyberlegs, and low-grade move-by-wire (Vader broke his neck at some point, as can be seen in the skeleton scene when he gets electrocuted by Palpatine).

+Quote Post
Dog
post Oct 21 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Extraterritoriality with vehicles doesn't make a whole lot of sense in most cases, I think. I can't see the corp-court allowing it.

"Hey, you let my Ares van into your Mitsuhama compound. If I choose to detonate a nuke inside my extraterritorial van, that's my business." :P

Or more to the point, what about couriers? Taxis and limos? Delivery vehicles? If I drive my vehicle into your compound, do I follow your rules, my own, or both? It gets too cumbersome.

Not that it couldn't happen, but I think it'd be the exception, not the rule.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 21 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #14

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

basicly the vehicle isnt extrateritorial, but the content is diplomatic of nature and therefor off limits ;)

hmm, i recall a old thread about this where someone said that soviet russia ones tried to ship a whole tractor as diplomatic mail.

hmm, tag the content of the truck as diplomatic stuff and then send along a detatchment of corp security. or is the contry its passing thru required to make sure it gets to its destination with the seal intact?

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 21 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

hobgoblin, most likely a little of both.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 21 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #16

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

well if its ares doing some shipment im guessing that its corp sec watching the shipment and national security watching the ares troops. or any other corp for that matter ;)

hmm, thats a nice mission impossible kinda run. corp x got some shipment going by land or sea (something about air freight not being able to handle the weight or whatever), watched over by sec forces. runners task is to get in the and find out what they are shipping. all this while nations all along the route are watching closely so that nothing bad happens on their watch :P

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Oct 21 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Dog @ Oct 20 2005, 07:30 PM)
"Hey, you let my Ares van into your Mitsuhama compound.  If I choose to detonate a nuke inside my extraterritorial van, that's my business."

I agree wholeheartedly. But once the blast escapes the confines of the van, it becomes our problem. So even though you've got your "Don't come a-knockin' if the nuke's timer is tick-tockin'" bumpersticker on, forgive us if our security guards want assurances from the Ares personel inside the van that you'll be able to keep the effects inside as well.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Oct 21 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #18

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Why does that remind me (giggling like an idiot), of the fake VW Polo comercial that was going around?

+Quote Post
Nath
post Oct 21 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

From the moment that the nuclear explosive device is armed with a timed detonator at the initiative of the responsible corporate authority, the vehicle that contains it is clearly not intended to be a "long-term facility", in the intended meaning. Moreover, the said vehicle does not have the delimitations and labels made necessary by laws for extraterritoriality to apply and able to resist to expected and predictable conditions of temperature and pressure in the area.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Oct 21 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #20

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 20 2005, 08:12 PM)
Why does that remind me (giggling like an idiot), of the fake VW Polo comercial that was going around?

Yeah... "fake." It just happened to be of a really good production quality.

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Dog @ Oct 20 2005, 07:30 PM)
"Hey, you let my Ares van into your Mitsuhama compound.  If I choose to detonate a nuke inside my extraterritorial van, that's my business."

I agree wholeheartedly. But once the blast escapes the confines of the van, it becomes our problem. So even though you've got your "Don't come a-knockin' if the nuke's timer is tick-tockin'" bumpersticker on, forgive us if our security guards want assurances from the Ares personel inside the van that you'll be able to keep the effects inside as well.

Which was the explanation in RA:S.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.