IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternate traditions, ie: stop cluttering up the forums.
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 19 2005, 03:09 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,320

By popular request. Use this here thread to give your ideas for new (or converted) traditions a round in the spotlight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Oct 19 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Yay, my requests are popular!

C'mere, Frank, we made a playground for ya.

+Quote Post
Chandon
post Oct 19 2005, 04:35 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,115

QUOTE (Azralon)
C'mere, Frank, we made a playground for ya.

Doesn't Frank already have exactly one thread for his converted traditions? Based on that, isn't this thread basically just clutter itself?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Oct 19 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

What, the "Shadowrun 4: Magic" thread? Or the "Converting Old Traditions" thread?

I'm not trying to slam our ever-imaginative Frankie; there are other folks who are posting alternative traditions too. This'd just keep it all in one place for ease of reference.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 19 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Plus all the "Review my new tradition" threads.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 19 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I'm perfectly fine to put "new" traditions here, and the "old" traditions in the "Converting Old Traditions" thread. That would be a good way to split it up.

So if someone cares, things that have previously had a write-up in SR like Tir Path Magic and Psionics can be written into the Converting thread and any genre of magic that people want ported into Shadowrun like Leyaks or Tantrics can be written up here.

That being said, if anyone wants a write-up of either type, I'll do requests in the appropriate thread.

-Frank

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 19 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Well, continuing what was going on in the magic forum: Wouldn't Jean grey, during the pheonix saga, actually find out she Isn't and Aspected mage and can summon fire spirits to possess her?

Next tradition: Jurai power from tenchi muyo.

Heck, why not just do regular shinto as well? (Pepoole might find that useful, instead of our sillyness.)

+Quote Post
Veggiesama
post Oct 19 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,688

Couldn't someone just, like, start a Wikipedia-esque site for traditions, house rules, etc. like that one NPC database? I always found forums to be great for their search functions, but organizing lists of "things" (like new guns, traditions, cyberware) doesn't work too well, as they're on a first-post, first-view organization.

edit: That's also the reason I don't bother with those 10-20 page long "general" threads. If you haven't been paying attention since the start, why bother?

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 19 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #9

Running Target

You get right on that then.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 19 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Juraian Power runs on attractiveness as much as anything, so Charisma as a drain resistance stat is a no-brainer. That's why Tenchi and Tsunami have the most Jurai Power and Yosho and Ayeka have relatively less Jurai Power they can channel.

Juraians cannot astrally project (except for Tsunami), and are in almost all cases Mystic Adepts. Spells are preferred to be Light or Plant based in their net effect, and combat spells other than Indirect Light Spells are not used.

Juraians summon spirits that materialize. Recognized Spirits are:

Warrior - Combat
Plant - Manipulation
Man - Illusion
Ancestor - Health
Water - Detection

Juraian Magic uses slightly psuedo-scientific trappings backed up by using lots and lots of wood in just about every way you can think of. A Juraian lodge looks like a computer lab or a bonsai garden or both.

Example: Washuu (a powerful Juraian Mystic Adept with the Crab Mentor Spirit) binds a powerful spirit of man, granting it additional powers of inate spell: Laser, and Psychokinesis. She puts this spirit on a longterm service of guarding an area. Later, Tenchi (a powerful Juraian Mystic Adept with the Great Tree mentor spirit) encounters this spirit while exploring a cave and combat ensues. Tenchi puts up a spirit barrier, and the spirit begins attacking the barrier. Tenchi then begins banishing the Spirit, succeeds, and then takes the opportunity to take control of the spirit before it departs. Now this spirit follows Tenchi around whether he likes it or not.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Veggiesama
post Oct 19 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,688

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
You get right on that then.

Constructive.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 19 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Sorry, that's just kinda something that needs to be done by someone with computer sills, and just posting a general "Someone should do this" struck me as kinda like saying "y'know, we should really have flying cars by now. Why doesn't someone make those?" But I apologize for the patronizing tone.

And the example of the spirit of man for the Jurain tradition? :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Oct 19 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
"y'know, we should really have flying cars by now. Why doesn't someone make those?"

Why HASN'T anyone made them yet? I want my gorramn flying cars! Someone should make them.

Preferably with a built in delectable snack dispenser. Twinkies and flying cars yay!

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 20 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Anyway, I have 2 new traditions I've been thinking of. I don't have good names yet, but here they go:

Chaos Urbana Mage:

These magicians are branch of the hermetic tradition that beleive that, while the scientific approach to magic is a good thing, the traditional hermetic is hidebound by ancient texts and narrow minded views. They beleive that magic comes from the Zietgeist, the spirit of the times, and they seek to tap into that chaotic modern energy for their magic. Metahumanity in all it's raw, technological glory is the source of this spirit, not the flawed beleifs of ancient cultures nor the forces of the natural world.

They resist drain with Will + Logic

They are a manifesting tradition (See franktrollman's rules in converting old traditions)

Combat -- Warrior Spirits. These often appear as featureless soldiers or police, or as combat vehicles.
Detection -- Spirits of Man. Mankind is everywhere, at least, everywhere that matters, and those with a link to the spirit of man can know all that man knows. Spirits of man appear as the random people out of the crowd that make a city, like street vendors and homeless, but with a certian mysterious presence that makes their nature apparent.
Health -- Ancestor Spirits. No one is more concerned aout the health and well being of an individual than their ancestors.
Illusion -- Electricity spirits. These often manifest as complicated light shows or other flashy neon effects.
Manipulation -- Worker Spirits. These often manifest as featureless technicians or repairmen. If your Trid breaks down, summon up one of these.

Also: Elementalists:

Elementalists beleive that the forces, or elements, that make up the universe are the true source of power. All magic harnesses this energy in one way or another. By taking this energy into oneself and converting it through will, you cast spells. One does not channel "Mana", but "Fire" or "Stone". Should the mood strike you, you can even let the raw force of the elements take control, using your body as a vessel for their will.

Elementalists resist drain with willpower + intution. Their magic comes neither from study nor from communication or leadership. Their is only will and feeling when manipulation the raw forces.

Elementalists are a Possession Tradition. (See Franktrollmans's rules in converting old traditions. Really, they are awesome.) As a guideline they do not bind spirits, though if they did they would use the same rules as all other possession traditions.

Combat -- Fire spirits. The forces of fire are the rage of the universe manifest.
Detection -- Air spirits : There is nowhere life exists where Air is not. Air sees all.
Health -- Earth Spirits: Earth is the bounty that sustains us, the rock that supports us. Without it we cannot be.
Ilusion -- Spirits of Man. The power of life cannot be denied, but mankind is also the source of all lies. Most elementalists distain illusions and spirits of man.
Manipulation -- Water Spirits: Water is the ever-changing froce that shapes the universe.

By the way, electricity spirits are the same as fire spirits, only change the elemental effects of their powers to electricity effects.

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Oct 21 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

Uh, better put that in the other topic.

This post has been edited by Doc Byte: Oct 21 2005, 12:04 AM

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 21 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Put What in the other topic? It's not a converted old tradition, it's a new tradition, so it obviously belongs here.

I use the rules Franktrollman presented because they are GOOD, and because without Some expansion to the current rules there is too little variation.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 21 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Put What in the other topic? It's not a converted old tradition, it's a new tradition, so it obviously belongs here.

I use the rules Franktrollman presented because they are GOOD, and because without Some expansion to the current rules there is too little variation.

Actually, he was talking about his own concept sketch for Norse Jotun magic, which he moved to the converting old traditions thread. I honestly think that it belongs here, because it didn' have a write-up in previous editions of Shadowrun.

-Frank

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 21 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Oh. My misunderstanding. then. Apologies

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 21 2005, 08:36 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

OK, so there was a request for Shinto:

Shinto is essentially Animism from Japan. Like any "religion" where you worship the spirits that happen to live in your house, there are a lot of discrepencies between how it is practiced in different places. Shinto calls spirits "Kami", and that is variously translated as both "Spirit" and "God". In Shadowrun terms, those are Spirits.

Unlike the Hermetic tradition which is based on rules and science, or the shamanic tradition which is based on bargaining and expression, Shinto magic is essentially a giant game of hide and seek. The kami are already all around you, and what you need to do is go out and find them. Shinto is based on Intuition.

Different branches of Shinto pay reverence to just about anything you can think of: cool looking trees, the Japanese head of state, huge model penises, pristine lakes, whatever. It's there. So limitting it down to just five spirit types is tough - for any spirit you exclude, you will be able to find a branch of Shinto that considers that type of spirit to be paramount. As such, the best you can do is write up a Shinto magic set, for it is literally impossible to write up the Shinto magic set.

Shinto is a Materialization Tradition, and supports Aspected and Full Magicians. Shinto adepts are also encouraged (especially by Renraku and the Imperial Army). Shinto practitioners resist drain with Willpower and Intuition. A common (but by no means universal) spirit assignment for Shinto is:

Combat Spells - Air Spirits
Detection Spells - Fire Spirits
Health Spells - Ancestor Spirits
Illusion Spells - Water Spirits
Manipulation Spells - Plant Spirits

Many other spirits and spell category assignments are used by various Shinto magicians, essentially creating new traditions altogether. These magicians are recognized as fellow Shinto magicians, and freely participate in rituals with other practitioners.

-Frank

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Oct 21 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

Can someone make a good Wicca tradition? I havn't seen one so far...

I guess that the drain will be resisted by Willpower+Intuition since Wiccan's usually make their rituals with associations and symbologies.

However, I have some trouble with the spirit types..

Beast, Man, Air, Fire and Earth perhaps?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 21 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Wicca, like Shinto, is actually a collection of viewpoints which are very different from each other. Wicca does not have a book, or a founding teacher, or any other thing that could be considered a final word on anything. Wiccan magic runs the line from scientifically rigorous herbalism to atavistically harnessing raw emotions to attempt to unbalance events.

Wicca can be divided into several competing threads, which consider different things important. Mechanistically, this breaks into three important game distinctions:

Intuition Casters: NightmareX has a good write-up of these guys here. This kind of magic is distinguished by an attention to the details of the natural world, coupled with an idea that magic happens when you allow yourself to "go with the flow".

Charisma Casters: This is where the Wiccans who make a big deal about the differences between White Magick and Black Magick are, regardless of which one it is that they do. This kind of magic centers on the emotions of the magician, and has a great deal of rotes that are designed to alter the emotional state of the user. You can also find a great plethorae of Dianists and Spiral Dancers in this camp.

Logic Casters: This is where the herbalists and other more "scientifically inclined" Wiccans fit in. There is a thread running through Wiccan thought that pretty much anything you do that has effects, has effects because of Magic. These magicians often have "spell books", where they keep notes on the performances of different rituals.

----

In terms of spirit associations, that is also open for a bit of question. The Wiccans from last edition specifically described the "Fern Witches" or "Fairy Wiccans", who use the spirits of Air, Earth, Water, Fire, and Wood. This is pretty much the same as Hermeticism, except that you replace Spirits of Man with Plant Spirits, and you use Intuition for Drain instead of Logic.

But there are lots of Wiccans, and lots of magical setups. Most of them are Materialization Traditions, and I don't know of any that use Man or Warrior Spirits. But there are examples that make use of Air, Ancestor, Beast, Earth, Fire, Plant, Water, and Worker Spirits. Just no individual Wiccan Mage is able to use all eight.

-Frank

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Oct 21 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #22

Running Target

I'll give this a shot, since I was a member of my colleges wiccan/pagan alliance for several years.

Wiccanism, which is a subset of paganism, is a little more specific than Franktrollman alludes to. While his description is great, he is actually describing Modern Paganism, of which wiccanism is one of the versions.

Wiccanism holds to the four classical elements of fire, water earth and air. These are associated with the four directions, the four tarot suits, certain emotions, certain strengths and weaknesses, etc. (Though which element goes with can be a point of contention between some practicioners.) More than that, though, they hold to the goddess, in her three forms of the maiden, the mother and the crone. To a lesser extent they also worship the god, a male diety, but most often in his role as the goddesses husband in the form of the lord and lady. sometimes tehy work together, sometimes they don't. If you haven't caught on, the religion worships these two gods, but in many forms, sort of like the way all gods are one in Hindu. There is also a heavy focus on cycles, of the year, of death and rebirth, of generations.

Religious festivals fall on the equinoxes and solstices, as well as teh four midpoints in between. There is a strong focus on forming circles, in which members of the circle take on different roles, often teh aformentioned elements. These rituals are traditionally performed Skyclad, which is a reverent way of saying In the Buff. It is important ot note that, like shinto, Wiccanism is a Religion as well as a magical tradition. If you need any more than that go hit the books, i'm not really qualified to go into it. Though I might suggest Alan Moore's Promethia series for a decent example of wiccan-like beliefs in a shadowrunny setting.

Wiccanism, despite having a strong background in magical lore, is an Intuition tradition.

The elementals here have been assigned to the most appropriate spell catagory, but for a wiccan, it might be more appropriate to allow an elemental to provide bonuses to learn any spell which falls under their sphere of influence, instead of by spell catagory. For example, fire is associated with passion and strong emotion, positive or negative. Though it's spirits are linked to combat spells, they might also have domain over the Control emotions spell.

Combat Spells - Fire (Strong emotions, passion. Emotional + Visionary.)
Detection Spells - Air (the higher thoughts, the mind. Intellect + visionary)
Health Spells - Earth (Weath, health and stability. Intellect + Practical)
Illusion Spells - Water ( Deep emotions, intuition. Emotional+Practical)
Manipulation Spells - Plants (Most manipulation spells would be accomplished through herbalism, though I'm kinda reaching here because wiccans only hold to four elements.)

+Quote Post
Doc Byte
post Oct 22 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,168

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Oct 21 2005, 09:19 AM)

Actually, he was talking about his own concept sketch for Norse Jotun magic, which he moved to the converting old traditions thread. I honestly think that it belongs here, because it didn' have a write-up in previous editions of Shadowrun.

-Frank

Well, AFAIR Norse magic was in MitS. But if you say here's a better place for it, I'll put it here. I hope my English's not too bad as I lack some practice in writing. :|

Norse / Germanic Magic

Concept: Norse / Germanic Shamans draw their power on ancient Norse / Germanic chants and runes.

Combat: Fire Giants ( Fire )
Detection: Storm Giants ( Air )
Health: Mountain Giants ( Earth )
Illusion: Water Giants ( Water )
Manipulation: Elves ( Man )

Drain: Willpower + Charisma

The Power of Norse / Germanic Shamans is based on two pillars. First their power’s based on the services of spirits, what’s considered the lesser powers. The higher powers, casting spells, is considered to be based on divine favor. Shamans of this tradition worship the Norse / Germanic gods / goddesses, who showed mankind the magic chants and runes. Some shamans worship all gods likewise, but must of them chose a single one and worship him / her as their personal idol.
Norse / Germanic idols appear as powerful yet distanced Mentor Spirits. In general personal contacts are limited to the metaplanes. More often the gods send out their messengers for revealing their wishes to the shamans in the physical world. Being shamans, the followers of Norse / Germanic magic are subject to the mask of the shaman, whose appearance depends on the specific god. Principally all Norse / Germanic gods may be chosen as an idol. E.g. Wotan / Odin, Donar / Thor, Saxnot / Tyr, Loki, Frigg or Freya.
The spirit world’s based on the traditional believes as well. The four elements are summoned as the original powers of the world: Fire Giants, Storm Giants, Water Giants and Mountain Giants. The shaman subdues the giants just like the gods did and takes advantage of their power.
On the other hand the sprits of man are more gentle, appearing as elves. Depending on the surrounding they may assume different appearances. Aboard a ship a spirit of man may appear as a mermaid, a residential house may be inhabited by a gnome and a the spirit of an industrial complex may appear as a dwarf. Normally the shamans requests the help of an elf.

---

I have to admit that some terms are problematic: Elves, Dwarfs and Gnomes for example. These terms were used in my book from the end of the 19th century, some decades before Tolkien. ;)
I know, not very topically literature, but still considered as standard: Wolfgang Golther: Handbuch der Germanischen Mythologie ( Handbook of Germanic Mythology )

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Oct 21 2005, 02:48 AM)

Personally, if I was going to make a Norse Magic tradition which summoned giants and fey rather than invoking animal spirits to possess themselves, I'd set it up like this: 

Combat - Valkyr ( Warrior ) 
Detection - Muspel Giants ( Fire ) 
Health - Niefel Giants ( Water ) 
Illusion - Van ( Man ) 
Manipulation - Svartalf ( Earth ) 

And then use Charisma and Willpower to resist Drain. Of course, that's just me.

+Quote Post
JesterX
post Oct 22 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Oct 21 2005, 05:29 PM)
I'll give this a shot, since I was a member of my colleges wiccan/pagan alliance for several years.

Wiccanism, which is a subset of paganism, is a little more specific than Franktrollman alludes to. While his description is great, he is actually describing Modern Paganism, of which wiccanism is one of the versions.

Wiccanism holds to the four classical elements of fire, water earth and air. These are associated with the four directions, the four tarot suits, certain emotions, certain strengths and weaknesses, etc. (Though which element goes with can be a point of contention between some practicioners.) More than that, though, they hold to the goddess, in her three forms of the maiden, the mother and the crone. To a lesser extent they also worship the god, a male diety, but most often in his role as the goddesses husband in the form of the lord and lady. sometimes tehy work together, sometimes they don't. If you haven't caught on, the religion worships these two gods, but in many forms, sort of like the way all gods are one in Hindu. There is also a heavy focus on cycles, of the year, of death and rebirth, of generations.

Religious festivals fall on the equinoxes and solstices, as well as teh four midpoints in between. There is a strong focus on forming circles, in which members of the circle take on different roles, often teh aformentioned elements. These rituals are traditionally performed Skyclad, which is a reverent way of saying In the Buff. It is important ot note that, like shinto, Wiccanism is a Religion as well as a magical tradition. If you need any more than that go hit the books, i'm not really qualified to go into it. Though I might suggest Alan Moore's Promethia series for a decent example of wiccan-like beliefs in a shadowrunny setting.

Wiccanism, despite having a strong background in magical lore, is an Intuition tradition.

The elementals here have been assigned to the most appropriate spell catagory, but for a wiccan, it might be more appropriate to allow an elemental to provide bonuses to learn any spell which falls under their sphere of influence, instead of by spell catagory. For example, fire is associated with passion and strong emotion, positive or negative. Though it's spirits are linked to combat spells, they might also have domain over the Control emotions spell.

Combat Spells - Fire (Strong emotions, passion. Emotional + Visionary.)
Detection Spells - Air (the higher thoughts, the mind. Intellect + visionary)
Health Spells -  Earth  (Weath, health and stability. Intellect + Practical)
Illusion Spells - Water ( Deep emotions, intuition. Emotional+Practical)
Manipulation Spells - Plants (Most manipulation spells would be accomplished through herbalism, though I'm kinda reaching here because wiccans only hold to four elements.)

Very nice writeup!!! I like it a *LOT*

However, I'll name here the other important sabbats of the neo-paganists and perhaps the most celebrated wiccan/neo-pagan festivals:

On the north emisphere:

Samhain which is coming very very soon... October 31 (Halloween!)
Beltane, May 1st

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbat_%28neopaganism%29

Thank you for the tradition. I will use it for my next game... ^_^

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Nov 18 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

Ninja magic tradition

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.