IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Platelet factory, is there an errata out on this?
6thDragon
post Oct 23 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,605

I don't know if there is an errata out on this yet, but this is starting to seem horribly broken. I was very glad to see the trauma damper go with SR4. It was total min-maxing for mages, and I know players that made it standard equipment for their mages and take a geas to offset the magic loss. Now it appears the platelet factory is taking its place. The description in the book says "Any time the user suffers 2 or more points of damage, the damage is instantly reduced by one point." It does not specify the damage must be physical! Sure this isn't quiet as bad as SR3's trauma damper. The mage will still have to take some damage, but with the remaining .8 essence they'll have to burn a hermetic could easily get a couple points of Damage Compensator and Cerebral Booster. That would almost allow said mage to cast fireballs (or other very high drain spells) with impunity.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 23 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

In SR4, a Platelet Factory is just 3 extra body dice on average. It only works on real damage and it only works if it won't be enough to prevent you from taking damage. It's nice, even very nice, but nothing like broken. If a platelet factory does anything at all, then by defintion it isn't doing enough to make you not be losing.

-Frank

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Oct 23 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 78

Spells cause a drain resistance test, not a damage resistance test. Drain <> damage if you want to rule it that way in your game

+Quote Post
6thDragon
post Oct 23 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,605

okay I didn't know there was a deference between drain and damage. That makes sense now. But is there an errata or something for the platelet factory that says it only effects physical damage? I know it SR3, that's how it was. I even played where it only effected wounds that would cause bleeding such as a bullet or a knife wound, but a burn or a fall would not count.

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Oct 23 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

I think it's meant to affect stun in SR4. Critter regeneration heals stun when it never used to, heal spells heal stun when they never used to, so it wouldn't surprise me if a Platelet factory works on stun as well (minimises bruising?)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 23 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (6thDragon)
okay I didn't know there was a deference between drain and damage.

There is no difference. Drain is the cause of the damage you (may) take when casting spells, just as a pistol would be the cause of damage if you were shot. The end result is still considered damage, no matter what the cause or origin.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 23 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

There's a big difference. Damage causes a damage resistance test, Drain causes a Drain resistance test, followed by you taking "unresisted damage". It's an open question as to whether a Platelet Factory would stop you from taking unresisted damage, but certainly a GM would be well within their rights to rule "no".

-Frank

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 23 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Oct 23 2005, 11:06 AM)
It's an open question as to whether a Platelet Factory would stop you from taking unresisted damage, but certainly a GM would be well within their rights to rule "no".

Sure the GM can "house rule" no. And that is what it would be, a house rule since the Platelet Factory by RAW is not linked to resisting damage.

NOTE: That would also mean that you would apply the Platelet Factory modification to damage AFTER a resistance test, since the damage is not determined and the PC has not actually taken the damage till after the resistance roll.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Oct 23 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Yeah, I can see no wording anywhere that suggests that the Platelet Factory doesn't reduce damage from drain as well as any other damage the character takes, resisted or not.

Personally, I might houserule it to only apply to physical damage, though...

+Quote Post
Valatar
post Oct 23 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,871

On the one hand, the realism side of me wants the platelet factory to only apply to damage that causes bleeding: bullets and blades and the sort. Being shot by a lightning bolt doesn't strike me as something that fast clotting could protect you against.

On the other hand, that's a bit of micro-management for the game that I'd rather skip as a DM, both because it can bog the game down in determining whether the damage of a baseball bat to the gut involves internal bleeding, and because the players would be (understandably) annoyed if they spent a bunch of nuyen on the thing, only to die to non-bleeding damage and have it not do anything at all to help them.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 23 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #11

Dragon

QUOTE (Valatar)
On the one hand, the realism side of me wants the platelet factory to only apply to damage that causes bleeding: bullets and blades and the sort. Being shot by a lightning bolt doesn't strike me as something that fast clotting could protect you against.

However with that reasoning bruising, which seems to be part of Stun damage, would be helped. *shrug*

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 23 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (NightRain)
I think it's meant to affect stun in SR4. Critter regeneration heals stun when it never used to, heal spells heal stun when they never used to, so it wouldn't surprise me if a Platelet factory works on stun as well (minimises bruising?)

health spells cannot heal stun damage. otherwise you are correct though.

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Oct 23 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jaid)

That's what I get for parroting someone else rather than looking it up for myself :)

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 24 2005, 01:11 AM
Post #14

Dragon

QUOTE (NightRain)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 24 2005, 09:23 AM)

That's what I get for parroting someone else rather than looking it up for myself :)

Ya, it had come up here before and i took someone's word on that. But in the description of the health spells it says specifically that they still haven't figured it out.

However i believe First Aid can heal Stun.

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Oct 24 2005, 01:12 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,523

Sure, I dont mind if your stupid enough to loose 1 pt magic and keep overcasting your spells to get 1 less pt of dammage, since the whole point is to take atleast 2 pts of DMG .. and get one less _physical_ dmg to get any use for the factory..

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Oct 24 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I think Nkari touched upon it well. If someone wants to burn that many BPs (or later karma and money) in order to take 1 box less of Physical, then let them have it.

Kinda like the "Lucky Human" debate: If someone wants to start with an 8 Edge then go ahead. Sure, that much Edge is extremely potent; but look at how much they spent to get it.

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Oct 24 2005, 07:29 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

QUOTE (Valatar)

umm so electrical burns don't cause internal bleeding in your games?

+Quote Post
Liper
post Oct 24 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

the factory only applys to physical damage not stun.

Stun is to represent mental disorientation/stress not any sort of physical damage which the factory deals with.

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Oct 24 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Liper)
the factory only applys to physical damage not stun.

Stun is to represent mental disorientation/stress not any sort of physical damage which the factory deals with.

To quote page 152

"Stun damage—bruising, muscle fatigue, and the like—is the kind done by fi sts, kicks, blunt weapons, stun rounds"

I think that makes it fairly clear that it's not just disorentation, and it explicitly includes bruising, which one could argue falls in under the purview of the platelet factory

+Quote Post
Nkari
post Oct 24 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,523

But then you read the description of the factory at page 339..

"Platelet factories increases the bodys abilites to handle dammage by accelerating the production of platelet's in the bone marrow, thus lessening the trauma from large wounds and quickly stopping bleeding."

Does the bold part sound like stun dammage to you ?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 24 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #21

Dragon

QUOTE (Nkari @ Oct 24 2005, 08:30 AM)

"Platelet factories increases the bodys abilites to handle dammage by accelerating the production of platelet's in the bone marrow, thus lessening the trauma from large wounds and quickly stopping bleeding."

Sure, a large bruise. :P The first time i went snowboarding i fell backwards and landed square on butt. The next day both cheeks were each had a dark purple blotch the size of a small dinner plate. :(

Frankly 2 boxes Physical isn't something i'd call "large" either, but such is the nature of relative terms.

+Quote Post
wavydavy
post Oct 24 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,832

QUOTE (blakkie)

Sure, a large bruise. :P The first time i went snowboarding i fell backwards and landed square on butt.  The next day both cheeks were each had a dark purple blotch the size of a small dinner plate. :(

The first time? So you've never fallen since! :)

QUOTE (blakkie)

Frankly 2 boxes Physical isn't something i'd call "large" either, but such is the nature of relative terms.

Hmm, I see a bruise as being physical damage anyway. It certainly doesn't heal in hours, anyway.
Maybe, roughly, 1-2 boxes being light bruising, 3-4 heavy bruising/torn muscle, 5-6 shallow cut, 7-8 deepcut/broken limb 9-10 multiple wounds

Stun damage I see as being shock and brain shaking headblows and mental/psycological damage.

But the the whole armour converting damage to stun I guess implies the opposite.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 24 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #23

Dragon

QUOTE (wavydavy)
QUOTE (blakkie)

Sure, a large bruise. :P The first time i went snowboarding i fell backwards and landed square on butt.  The next day both cheeks were each had a dark purple blotch the size of a small dinner plate. :(

The first time? So you've never fallen since! :)

Not snowboarding....i haven't gone since. ;) I actually haven't even managed to make it out skiing much since then. The rest of my life keeps getting in the way. Like kids upon kids. Though i suppose before too long i'll be back out skiing, but at first on much tamer slopes with the boys. Not sure about the snowboarding thing though, i don't smoke enough pot for that. :wobble:

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Oct 24 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Nkari)

Absolutely. If I get hit with something that is doing stun damage but manages to fill in 7 or 8 boxes of damage, you can be damned sure it will be a large painful wound, stun or not

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Oct 24 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Real injuries possess elements of both Stun and Physical damage as Shadowrun defines them. Punch me in the face and you could split my lip, drawing blood. Hack at me with a broadsword and you'll leave bruising around the lacerations.

Shadowrun arbitrarily separates the two damage types so it won't take as long to recover from a right hook as it would a knife stab. It also lets people fall unconscious without also having to be on death's door.

For more realism, each weapon would have two damage codes: One for how much Stun it does and one for how much Physical it does. At some point you have to decide to reduce the "realism-enhancing paperwork" so it won't get in the way of your fun.

So Platelet Factory helps against Physical and not Stun. That's just the way it works.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.