Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decker vs Otaku, NOOB question
Phelan_patrick
post Oct 26 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,351

I have never created a matrix character before and am contemplating of building one.

My question is what are the pro's and con's between regular deckers and otaku?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 26 2005, 03:52 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Otaku are much more specialized. You can make a decker who is also a good face, sammie, or even an adept or sorcerer, but otaku are good in the matrix, not so good in the "real" world.

Otaku upgrade mainly with Karma, while deckers depend more on their gear. This means that in campaigns with a lot of money or loose loot, the decker can improve himself very rapidly compared to an otaku.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 26 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Deckers:

Pro: upgrades well in cash-heavy campaigns, heavily customizable, easy multispecialization.

Con: expensive, complex, character can be crippled through the loss of a relatively small amount of equipment.

Otaku:

Pro: simple, simple, simple. Upgrades well in high-karma campaigns. Easier to make a more powerful matrix character, though depending on what rules are being used straight-up deckers can potentially outclass them.

Con: extremely difficult to make them both competent in any physical discipline and still highly matrix-effective. Difficult to properly roleplay as the nearly-alien intelligences they're portrayed as.

~J

+Quote Post
Phelan_patrick
post Oct 26 2005, 04:06 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,351

Thanks for the replies. One other thing, I understand an Otaku can jack into the matrix without a deck but can they use one if they wanted to? and what does that entail if it is possible?

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Oct 26 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

If they use a deck, they'd work the same way as a normal decker, unless they're just using it as an access point (to make it look like they're a decker instead of an Otaku).

I'll also point out that Otaku can be very effective with Grenade Launchers and vehicle weapons, becuase Launch Weapons and Gunnery are both Int-based.

So an Otaku can be reasonably effective in the meat world, because noone suspects the 12-year old kid to be carrying a grenade launcher under their coat...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 26 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

As mentioned, Otaku use a deck like anyone else. They usually use it better, as their minimum Computers skill is equal to the maximum of a normal starting decker, but it's the same idea.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 26 2005, 04:40 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (nick012000)
If they use a deck, they'd work the same way as a normal decker, unless they're just using it as an access point (to make it look like they're a decker instead of an Otaku).

I'll also point out that Otaku can be very effective with Grenade Launchers and vehicle weapons, becuase Launch Weapons and Gunnery are both Int-based.

So an Otaku can be reasonably effective in the meat world, because noone suspects the 12-year old kid to be carrying a grenade launcher under their coat...

True. And since Launch Weapons are not one of the stated unlikely skills for an otaku to have, strictly speaking it is a good combat skill for the otaku to have.

An Otaku matrix Face may also be feasible, since you may want to max the Charisma. And remember with the "proliferation" of Social Adepts, Johnsons(GMs) may want to meet in the Matrix in order to curb those adepts with the Matrix Social Skill Modifiers(p126 Matrix).

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Oct 26 2005, 05:08 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,200

use the otaku as the pilot in a riggers drone on the ingress/egress, or as a remote gunner?

+Quote Post
Slump
post Oct 26 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

Just set up the drones with matrix-enabled indirect fire, and let the otaku fire mortars from within the matrix.

"Let's jack into the security cameras ... there's some corpsec sneaking up on my buds.. FIRE!! Not anymore!"

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Oct 26 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Another use for otaku: If the corp goons have the team pinned down, the runners have a "hostage" ready for use.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 26 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

one thing that otaku tend to be much better at than deckers is cybercombat. otaku basically have every combat-related program at a very high rating, whereas deckers have a hard time affording more than just the basics. an otaku will out-maneuver, out-armor, and out-damage a decker almost every time.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Oct 26 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

An Otaku matrix Face may also be feasible...

By the numbers, not by the flavor. They may have high mental attributes, but they have trouble relating with those whose thinking is rooted in the meat world.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 26 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #13

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Yeah, I never understood that. What exactly does a high Charisma mean if it doesn't help you deal well with other people? I always thought it made more sense for Otaku to be, well, what they are: frail, growth-stunted supergeniuses who had gotten so smart and so in-tuned with the modern hyperfast wired world that their brains adapted to transcend their bodies. Turning them into social lepers IMO really underestimated the ability of these youths; it's not like our social customs are that hard to imitate that it's beyond a person who's so smart that their brain can outthink our fastest computers.

For instance, I always had this neat scenario in my mind of an Otaku breaking into Hollywood and becoming the next big child actress. This would spark many runs, of course, as all things do. :D

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 26 2005, 03:05 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (nick012000)
Another use for otaku: If the corp goons have the team pinned down, the runners have a "hostage" ready for use.

You don't need an otaku on your team to do that. Just take any random teammate hostage. The troll works best because he'll provide better protection when the corporp goons shoot through him.
However, if you are serious with the idea you don't even need any teammates. Just put a gun to your own head and threaten to shoot yourself if they don't let you escape with the top secret paydata.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Oct 26 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

I always like to think that people who love computer games have a good gunnery skill... Its how my character practises his gunnery :-)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 26 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Yeah, I never understood that. What exactly does a high Charisma mean if it doesn't help you deal well with other people?

IMO it does, just not in a face-like manner. Charisma is, roughly, sheer force of personality—you may be creeped out to all hell by these kids and just want to get away from the conversation and go have a few dozen drinks at the bar, but when they talk, you listen.

As a result, an Otaku Face seems entirely reasonable to me—they'll just have a very different relationship with their contacts from most Faces.

~J

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 26 2005, 09:01 PM
Post #17

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
<snip> 

Turning them into social lepers IMO really underestimated the ability of these youths; it's not like our social customs are that hard to imitate that it's beyond a person who's so smart that their brain can outthink our fastest computers. 

For instance, I always had this neat scenario in my mind of an Otaku breaking into Hollywood and becoming the next big child actress. This would spark many runs, of course, as all things do. :D

Kind of like my Otaku Akima.

She's more into the music scene though. has an excellent voice, especially for a 13 year old.

In the matrix yeah, she's pretty slick (took the alternate rule of starting her with all physical attributes of 1 at chargen) Basically she's a walking maxxed out Renraku Kraftwerk. Much more the deceptive as opposed to offensive type - "you don't need to see my access code.... you can go about your business...move along" Also has pretty decent social skills & edges - including Good Rep, & Friendly Face

As to the Meat world, that is what her best friend, the Troll adept is there for. Of course being into programming, she always beleives in having a good backup - Armtech MP6 GL wired to her "custom" Carreras (Smart Shades with Range Link & x3 Electromag).

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 26 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #18

Midnight Toker

When it comes to Otaku with alternate jobs you should never forget the Vampire Dissonate Otaku Empress of Japan

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 26 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 27 2005, 07:40 AM)
When it comes to Otaku with alternate jobs you should never forget the Vampire Dissonate Otaku Empress of Japan

Shouldn't that be the Ex-Vampire Dissonate Otaku Empress of Japan? :D

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Oct 26 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #20

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

In my game shes the Ex-vampire Ex-dissonant bisexual otaku empress of japan and cousin to one of the group...

hmm need acronym EVEDBOEJCOG

There we go. I love hitomi shes so much fun.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 26 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

She's better as a vampire, I think. All Otaku are. All 1s for physical stats are too bad when that translates to all 13s if she's been well fed.

Of course, that pales in comparison to the Great Form Free Blood Spirit possessed Vampire Otaku Cyberzombie as a bringer of pain.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 26 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Most things do.

~J

+Quote Post
Hoondatha
post Oct 27 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,419

OK, I'm confused. I know she's one of Mirage's otaku (still need to get that novel...), but when did she become a vampire?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 27 2005, 01:50 PM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Hoondatha @ Oct 27 2005, 08:40 AM)
OK, I'm confused. I know she's one of Mirage's otaku (still need to get that novel...), but when did she become a vampire?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 27 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #25

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Ex-vampire. As in wanna-(but-canna)-be.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.