> First post and question about Full Dodge
Stinger
post Oct 30 2005, 03:29 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,903

Hola,

First off, greetings everyone. I'm new to the forums, although I've been playing SR since 1st edition came out in '89. Very happy to see 4th edition and quite pleased with most of the changes. Looking forward to pitching in my 2 nuyen here from time to time.

Got a question regarding the Full Dodge action. You can do it at anytime as a complex action, but you sacrifice your next action phase. OK, got that.

So what happens if you do a full dodge after your last action phase in a combat turn? Do you lose the first action in the next combat turn? Is this even possible (because you don't have any actions to spend in the current turn)?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Veggiesama
post Oct 30 2005, 05:11 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,688

Welcome!

I'm not sure how others would handle it, but I'd just say yeah, it'll take up your next Complex Action (in this combat turn or the next), and even if this means the 1-IP dude is able to full Dodge with one complex action against every attack the 4-IP dude makes, it's not really that unbalanced. Since 1-IP dude just blew his one and only action, might as well give him the benefit of the doubt.

+Quote Post
JBlades
post Oct 30 2005, 05:36 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,734

Welcome! And yes, I agree with Veggiesama.

+Quote Post
Rifleman
post Oct 30 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,821

Although just to point out the other important point, that free action left over can now be used for useful things. Namely: Movement. If you are dodging, you still get movement to do things like get behind cover.

Greetings from one new poster/old player to another.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Oct 30 2005, 09:37 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

Yeah, so far as I can tell, it holds over fully. Makes sense to me.

+Quote Post
Veggiesama
post Oct 30 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,688

To clarify Rifleman's comment, no action is needed for *walking* movement. To run requires a Free Action though, which is definitely considered to be a useful solution to "getting the hell out of the way".

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 30 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Veggiesama @ Oct 29 2005, 11:11 PM)
Welcome!

I'm not sure how others would handle it, but I'd just say yeah, it'll take up your next Complex Action (in this combat turn or the next), and even if this means the 1-IP dude is able to full Dodge with one complex action against every attack the 4-IP dude makes, it's not really that unbalanced. Since 1-IP dude just blew his one and only action, might as well give him the benefit of the doubt.

The 1 IP character has another problem. The cumulative -1 die/attack defense modifier could build up substantially by the time he acts again. So even if Full Defense gave good protection up front over time it'll wear down.

QUOTE (SR4 @ page 150)
Defender Has Defended Against Previous Attacks
If a character has defended against at least one other attack
(melee or ranged) since his last action, apply a –1 cumulative
modifi er for each additional defense roll.

+Quote Post
Shadowmeet
post Oct 30 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,909

QUOTE (blakkie @ Oct 30 2005 @ 10:21 AM)

The 1 IP character has another problem. The cumulative -1 die/attack defense modifier could build up substantially by the time he acts again. So even if Full Defense gave good protection up front over time it'll wear down.

True, and that's a good point that a player should keep in mind.

As to the origional post...

QUOTE (Stinger @ Oct 29 2005 @ 09:29 PM)

So what happens if you do a full dodge after your last action phase in a combat turn? Do you lose the first action in the next combat turn? Is this even possible (because you don't have any actions to spend in the current turn)?

The answer is on page 138 under Full Defense.

QUOTE (Shadowrun @PG 138)

Characters may goon (Their typo, not mine) full defense even if they don't have an action that pass, sacrificing their first action of the next Combat Turn instead.

Personally, I would prefer it if they had to spend an Edge to get an additional Initiative Pass that turn, and they would be unable to do so if they already had 4 Initiative Passes, or were out of edge, but that's because I believe all combat should be kept within the turn, not borrowed against the next.

Who knows, maybe I'll House Rule it and see how it works.

+Quote Post
Stinger
post Oct 31 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 7,903

First, thanks for all the replies.

So, under the rules, the 1P character can sacrifice his next turn's action for a Full Dodge this turn. Got it.

And yeah, good thing you can still move. In a situation like this, you'd better be running for cover if that's all you can do, especially with the -1 die attack/defense mod wearing you down! Standing out in the open is never a good idea in a firefight.

I do agree w/Shadowmeet though - I like to keep all combat within the turn, for ease of tracking if nothing else. However, I can see the rationale for carrying it over to the next. I've run combats both ways so far and although keeping everything within the turn is tidy, letting it carry over hasn't slowed me down at all either. I suppose I'll probably stick to the rules as written for now.

Thanks again everyone!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.