IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flechette ammo, am I missing something?
ogbendog
post Nov 3 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,923

Flechette ammo is does +2 damage, and is resited with impact armor +2.

every single piece of worn armor in the game, except the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit and has impact armor 2 or more less than Ballistic.

So unless your foes where the UEJ (or use Riot or Taser shields), flachette ammo is the way to go. There is little reason to use normal rounds

(also, shotgun shot uses flechette rules for armor, but they also spread. I assume a SMG firing flecheet doesn't spread)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Orient
post Nov 3 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,553

Of course, for the times you need to shoot through lightly armored windows, barriers, and the like, flechette ammo isn't quite so spiffy.

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Nov 3 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

good point.

so as an anti-personal ammo, it's (almost) always better than standard ammo (unlike past versions of SR).

I like the idea that shotguns might actually be useful in combat. heck, it's inabilitiy to penetrat barries might be useful in urban combat

+Quote Post
Rifleman
post Nov 3 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,821

The answer to your question:

Bone lacing. If they have Aluminum bone lacing, then the flechette ammo will be dealing with more effective impact armor than the person has ballistic armor.

Riot shields: as you have pointed out, this will tip the balance off for impact rounds. Cops have access to riot shields, and if they come after you and know that you use Flechette ammo they will bring the shields. They like breathing too, you know?

And lastly and most importantly: Cost. I can get fifty normal rounds for the cost of ten flechette. I have watched a person use over three hundred rounds of flechette in a run that went bad, mostly for covering fire for the so that our group could escape. I supported him with normal bullets, and were as effective in deterring corp response team. Same amount of rounds. I replaced my losses for everything (Including a radio unit with the ammo) at a little over 750 :nuyen:. Ammo alone cost him 3000 :nuyen:, which was a goodly chunk of the funds we scrapped together after the run.

That said, for their effectiveness, Flechette rounds are not a bad deal.

Edit: Added a space so that the nuyen symbol would show.

+Quote Post
Xeros
post Nov 3 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,915

and it's 5 times as expensive.

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Nov 3 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

sounds like the answer is, carry both. normal for shoting through walls, for covering fire, etc. Flachette when you really need to drop your target

+Quote Post
Rifleman
post Nov 3 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,821

QUOTE (ogbendog)
sounds like the answer is, carry both. normal for shoting through walls, for covering fire, etc. Flachette when you really need to drop your target

That would be a good choice.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Nov 3 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (ogbendog)

Pffsh.

Dude, carry ALL.

EX-Explosive are -the- best at ripping through anything.
Explosive are good at ripping through most things
Normal is good and cheap
Gel is nice to not kill them, and to deal Stun, which is BETTER than physical. Also resisted by Impact.
Flechette is glorious to bloody them up a bit.

It's never a bad idea to carry a couple of guns, including your OH SHIT gun w/EXEX, your Everyday gun w/Gel or normal, and your Every Other Day gun with Flechette or Explosive.

+Quote Post
SMDVogrin
post Nov 3 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 7,892

Yes, I have to agree with the Gel comment.

Gel = Exactly the same damage as Flechette, except it goes on the Stun track _which is usually shorter than the Physical track_.

(The people which have longer stun tracks than Physical tracks are mostly mages, in which case Gel rounds stack with their drain damage)

And it's only slightly more expensive than standard rounds, rather than 5x as pricey like flechette is.

Now, it's not much use against Vehicles, but then, neither is Flechette.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 3 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Nov 3 2005, 05:22 PM)
Normal is good and cheap
Gel is nice to not kill them, and to deal Stun, which is BETTER than physical.  Also resisted by Impact.

You missed one two:

APDS is the best at penetrating hardened armour without having to burn Edge to keep a Glitch from blowing up the weapon in your face

Stick'n'Shock is the best at turning your easily concealed Hammerli 620S into a nastly little sting that makes Baby Jesus and heavily armoured Trolls cry. :)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 4 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

stick n' shock is also good for the "save or die" effect (although it doesn't actually kill you, i'd like to see the person who can survive through even 1 combat turn unable to dodge).

and of course, for it's massive armor penetration (that is, if you are targetting some crazy cybered troll with milspec armor and a riot shield, you can negate half of his armor, which will definitely be more than 4 points worth you'd get from APDS).

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 4 2005, 12:32 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Plus the zappy of the machiney meanies, and the whole "My hold out pistol is badass" thing.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 4 2005, 02:37 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (blakkie)
Stick'n'Shock is the best at turning your easily concealed Hammerli 620S into a nastly little sting that makes Baby Jesus cry. :)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. It's one of my favorite combos.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 4 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #14

Dragon

QUOTE (Jaid)
and of course, for it's massive armor penetration (that is, if you are targetting some crazy cybered troll with milspec armor and a riot shield, you can negate half of his armor, which will definitely be more than 4 points worth you'd get from APDS).

Thanks for reminding me, i went back and added it in. :)

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Nov 4 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Wouldn't the average mil-spec armor user have nonconductivity add-ons? I would think so....

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 4 2005, 04:17 AM
Post #16

Dragon

QUOTE (Squinky)
Wouldn't the average mil-spec armor user have nonconductivity add-ons? I would think so....

Shoot the bastard in the face! :) Visor? What visor?

Ya, likely though i'm really curious if those ratings are suppose to also add on top of the normal armour rating for determining encumberance. I have a sneaking suspition that they should. So most folks are going to have a serious think about what they want the most protection from; fire, chem, or electrical.

P.S. None of that ammo stacks up to a RAW squirt gun with a Narcojet loadout. :(

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Nov 4 2005, 04:21 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Agreed, but I am pretty sure Non-conductivity should be a must have. The potential power of electric damage weapons is frightening. Chemical seal would be up there too, but it just seems impractacal (on normal armored runners, not mil-spec full body types) and not very effective to me.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 4 2005, 04:32 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

It doesn't matter if they stack or not. Chemical protection is neither ballistic nor impact armor - it's just Toxin Resistance. So no, you can layer in Chemical Protection all the way up to six and it doesn't make the armor any more encumbering.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Nov 4 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Fletchette, explosive, EX, APDS. Doesn't matter, they're all better than regular ammo. Of course, the only people who load hardball ammo these days are the military (because they have to, not because they want to). Every police department in the US issues hollowpoint rounds for their handguns. Basically, nobody uses hardball ammo for social work. That "regular ammo" crap is just for practice.

Of course, it's real easy to spend as much on ammo as you did on the gun that fires it :) Price an Ingram Smartgun X with three clips of EX explosive or fletchettes.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Nov 4 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Nov 3 2005, 05:22 PM)
Normal is good and cheap
Gel is nice to not kill them, and to deal Stun, which is BETTER than physical.  Also resisted by Impact.

You missed one two:

APDS is the best at penetrating hardened armour without having to burn Edge to keep a Glitch from blowing up the weapon in your face

Stick'n'Shock is the best at turning your easily concealed Hammerli 620S into a nastly little sting that makes Baby Jesus and heavily armoured Trolls cry. :)

I thought EX-EX is better than APDS for going through hardened armor? Or is it just better for NORMAL armor?

I know and love stick'n'shock - my gunbunny adept's light pistol is filled with it, it's the only ammo I bought for it (the light fills the role of hold out, just I hate what hold outs look like, so I went for an L36)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 4 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

Ex-Ex is better gof getting through hardened armor too, i think, but APDS won't blow off your own arm if you glitch with it is what he was saying :P

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Nov 4 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

of course with the massivly armored troll, it might be better to not pierce his armor and do stun damage insted. HIs stun track is probably shorter

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 4 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #23

Dragon

QUOTE (ogbendog @ Nov 4 2005, 09:15 AM)
of course with the massivly armored troll, it might be better to not pierce his armor and do stun damage insted.  HIs stun track is probably shorter

A Troll wearing hardened armour? 'Round these parts we call that a spirit! :)

P.S. If you don't exceed the hardened armour you do no damage. That's the "hard" part.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 4 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #24

Dragon

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
It doesn't matter if they stack or not. Chemical protection is neither ballistic nor impact armor - it's just Toxin Resistance. So no, you can layer in Chemical Protection all the way up to six and it doesn't make the armor any more encumbering.

-Frank

RAW doesn't explicitly say that it affects encumbrance, and generally the default ruling is don't make up stuff that isn't there when it would have made sense for it to be stated explicitly.

However most of them (though not chem since armour does help with chem :( ) add their rating to the armour value [of Impact, though the Impact part is generally 1/2 ignored by those]. So there's a slight hinting of it, and in some ways makes a bit of sense physically. That's why i was wondering if it is another one of those intended rules that were fumbled when written out or something got dropped for brevity that really shouldn't have been. *shrug*

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Nov 4 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

I didn't say hardened, I just mean with a high armor rating.

Can a person get Hardened armor. I just read Full Body armor carefully, it doesn't say it's hardened

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.