Reply to this topicStart new topic
> petrochem, i haven't seen it described
child of insanit...
post Nov 10 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,848

is it flamable? is it simply a new name for gasoline? if not, is it as stable as gas, or less?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 10 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Well, in the real world, "petrochem" is an accepted shortening of "petrochemical" which is in turn an accepted shortening of "petroleum chemical derivative". Which basically means that it is smething made out of the black stuff inthe ground.

But it's also the name of a corporation that sells fuel and is based in the middle east. And it's the name of one of their flagship fuel additives. So my guess would be that it's just gasoline that has some additives to make it burn cleaner and more efficiently.

-Frank

+Quote Post
RedKnightSpecial
post Nov 10 2005, 03:01 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 5,512

It probably burns pretty dang well. I can't think of any petrochemicals that don't I think it's their name for gas.

Hell, even my sofa is mostly petrochem.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Nov 10 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (child of insanity @ Nov 10 2005, 02:47 AM)
is it flamable? is it simply a new name for gasoline? if not, is it as stable as gas, or less?

It's gasoline, sometimes generically broadened to include diesel, kerosene, etc.

I know Rigger 3 differentiates diesel engines away from gasoline engines, so petrochem primarily refers to gasoline.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Nov 10 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (child of insanity)

One thing you can be certain of: if it wasn't reasonably combustible, it'd make a pretty lousy fuel source.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 10 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (RedKnightSpecial @ Nov 9 2005, 09:01 PM)
It probably burns pretty dang well. I can't think of any petrochemicals that don't I think it's their name for gas.

Hell, even my sofa is mostly petrochem.

Hydrocarbons do tend to oxidize. However the heavier ones (more atoms per molecule) don't so much [edit:readily in room temperature environments].

"Flammable", besides the lay meaning of being easily set on fire, is actually a techincal term. While hydrocarbon fuels are typically flammable, they can also be combustible. Diesel fuel sits around the borderline or above, depending on the particular mixture. For cold weather they mix in more lighter molecules to keep it from turning to jelly in the fuel tank.

Also jet fuel is usually NOT flammable. The reason is that by general rule the heavier the hydrocarbon molecule the more energy/weight it has** and the more controlled the oxidation (in gasoline this is refered to as having a higher octane). Because so much of an airplane's weight is fuel and weight is so important to an airplane, the trick to jet fuel is to have heavy of molecules that still burn completely so you get all the energy out.

Of course there is also the issue of safety in the case of a crash it's better to be riding with tank of fuel that is much more stable. :cyber:

** This is really about the ratio of hydrogen to carbon bonds vs. carbon to carbon bonds, the later having more energy, and the total number of bonds in the molecule. But those details are for physical/organic chemistry class. :)

+Quote Post
RedKnightSpecial
post Nov 12 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 5,512

That was amazingly informative. I don't need that shite on Saturday. I should be thinking about the lovins' I am gonna get tonight. Now I am thinking about carbon bonds.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 12 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #8

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Just start thinkin' about flesh bonds, then. :)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 13 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #9

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
QUOTE (child of insanity @ Nov 9 2005, 09:47 PM)

One thing you can be certain of: if it wasn't reasonably combustible, it'd make a pretty lousy fuel source.

Unless your car runs on water!!

*dodges thrown physics books*

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 13 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #10

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

water is fun. its one of the most stable chemicals on this planet. yet its made of two that when combined can send a rocking into space...

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 14 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
water is fun. its one of the most stable chemicals on this planet. yet its made of two that when combined can send a rocking into space...

How do you think it GETS to be one of the most stable elements in the universe?

Truth be told though, i think you'd find some of the noble elements to be more stable.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 14 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 13 2005, 03:48 PM)

I'm not sure i'd think of water as particularly "stable". The molecules in liquid water are constantly in flux so that water is at once an acid and a base. This property is directly related to why water is so important to life, it is the "universal solvent" (you can dissolve both acids and bases into it, along with most other substances to some extent).

P.S. Incidentally a good sized portion of what comes out of a gasoline vehicle's exhaust pipe is water. The hydrogen from those hydrocarbons + oxygen creates water, which is the white "smoke" you see coming from the tailpipe on cold days. Also usually most of the "smoke" you see coming from industrial stacks is water condensing.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 14 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (nezumi @ Nov 14 2005, 10:55 AM)
How do you think it GETS to be one of the most stable elements in the universe?

By being la substance that's not particularly reactive and is composed of atoms that have the same atomic number? Oh, wait, water is composed of atoms that have two different atomic numbers. Guess that means under science's current definition, water isn't an element. :read:

(Now if you're talking classical elements, that's different, but seeing as that category includes things like Fire, its pretty easy to be stable in comparison.)

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 14 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Guess that means under science's current definition, water isn't an element. :read:

1) Synonyms: component, constituent, factor, ingredient

Hence, water is an 'element', even if not under the scientific, chemical definition

2) :P

I forgot to proofread.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:51 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.