Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 Character Story, My first crack at SR4
Shadowrunner13
post Nov 14 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 163

Well, I've been bust reading SR4 and I couldn't help but make up a new character. Of course, I rarely skimp on background, so I started writing...

If anyone has the time, could you please read the story and let me know where the weaknesses lie...

An Unknown Past

Thanks!

SR13
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Nov 14 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 78

Nice. I like the childhood shaping of her current life, and it's kinda cool to hear someone refer to the arcology shutdown as having happened when they were nine :)

The one thing though, is that I doubt too many corps would require datajacks to be installed anymore. Datajacks are almost a thing of the past given the fact that trode rigs, trode paint etc function at the same efficiency as a datajack these days

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Nov 14 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 5,776

I like the story, but as NightRain said I don't really see any corp requiring new hires get a datajack.
The only way I could see explaining it is if the position was going to be dealing with some legacy systems that for some reason can't interface with the new trodenets.

Oh and at the beginning, i don't think you should use the term "video game", which is a term for games that interface with a 2D display (television). "Trideo games" would be more appropriate or something about it being simsense since you said she was using a simrig.

+Quote Post
rook
post Nov 15 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 7,720

Damn, that's good. Very well written. When does the rest of the book come out? ;)

+Quote Post
Eggs
post Nov 15 2005, 07:50 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,947

Very nice.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Nov 15 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Yeah, I have to agree - Well done. I can sorta see the argument against mandatory datajacks, but to me it made sense. *shrug*

Keep up the good work - You got any stories of Inquistor planned yet? I'm curious to hear more of her.

+Quote Post
Shadowrunner13
post Nov 15 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Holy crap! Feedback!

Night rain & Slacker - I'll look into the datajack thing. If I can find an excuse for the job to require her to get a datajack, I'll put it in.

The "video game" thing is me lapsing into real-life terminology. I can fix that. Thanks Slacker.

rook & Eggs - Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading!

Doc - Inquisitor is a PC of mine for SR4, so as we play games in our group, I'm sure a story or two will emerge. I doubt this will be my last story about Inquisitor. :)

Thanks again everyone!

SR13

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 15 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #8

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

One more for "I like it, but why the datajack?" camp.

Maybe the offered job was in a division producing hi-quality headware, claiming trodelinks to be inferior and less healthy on the long term?

+Quote Post
NightRain
post Nov 15 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 78

Have you considered giving your character a full on phobia of VR? That would do the same trick :)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Nov 15 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #10

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

Nice, very nice.

This is what brings a character to life.

All of my characters I have ran since SR1 began with a story first. Some, like Leela and my namesake, KK have fairly extensive backgrounds which has made them the two most dynamic characters in my folio. They were not the most powerful members of the teams they were in by a long shot, but their depth of character is what made them enjoyable to play. In fact, I am working up a major story based on Leela and the recently completed "Rhapsody in Shadow" arc.

+Quote Post
Shadowrunner13
post Nov 16 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (NightRain)
Have you considered giving your character a full on phobia of VR? That would do the same trick :)

That's sounds like a good plan. The Datajack obstacle is obviously the biggest stumbling block and the phobia of immersed reality would definitely fit with the character. Thanks NightRain!

Kyoto Kid: I totally agree. I am definitely of the mindset: "build the character as a person, then assign numbers accordingly". I've tried to establish this throughout my group. So far, our SR4 team consists of Inquisitor, who (as of Night rain's suggestion) is afraid of VR and tampering with her brain with tech in general; a former boxer, who is severly addicted to combat stims and spent time in prison for Manslaughter; and a religious zealot who thinks of himself as a knight of God.

Not sure how they'll function as a team, but they certainly drip with flavour...

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Nov 16 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Shadowrunner13)
I totally agree.  I am definitely of the mindset:  "build the character as a person, then assign numbers accordingly".  I've tried to establish this throughout my group.  So far, our SR4 team consists of Inquisitor, who (as of Night rain's suggestion) is afraid of VR and tampering with her brain with tech in general; a former boxer, who is severly addicted to combat stims and spent time in prison for Manslaughter; and a religious zealot who thinks of himself as a knight of God.

Not sure how they'll function as a team, but they certainly drip with flavour...

Unfortunately, most of the groups I have ran with like playing the power types. KK, Leela, my reporter Lana Lane all had only one extra die of initiative. All of the mages either have the full +3 die initiative spell (on a Spell lock in SR 1 & 2 Sustaining focus in SR3) and the Sams had at least Wired/boosted 2.

I would from time to time receive criticism for playing "weak" characters in the physical sense (being a Physad KK was the only character with both a maxxed STR & Quick of 6). The thing is the colour is what made these characters work, particularly Leela & Lana who have bore most of the responsibility for legwork.

+Quote Post
Shadowrunner13
post Nov 16 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Unfortunately, most of the groups I have ran with like playing the power types. KK, Leela, my reporter Lana Lane all had only one extra die of initiative. All of the mages either have the full +3 die initiative spell (on a Spell lock in SR 1 & 2 Sustaining focus in SR3) and the Sams had at least Wired/boosted 2.

I would from time to time receive criticism for playing "weak" characters in the physical sense (being a Physad KK was the only character with both a maxxed STR & Quick of 6). The thing is the colour is what made these characters work, particularly Leela & Lana who have bore most of the responsibility for legwork.

I hear ya... I think every group has at least one player that loves making the most powerful thing they can concoct, storyline be damned. I know I have one in my group, but he doesn't game with us too often...

I have convinced my players at a story-driven game is simply more interesting than a comparison of numbers and how many dice you can throw and our games have become so much more enjoyable.

As for "weak" characters, we consider it "room to grow". The Christian soldier character (either called Apostle or Templar...whenever the player decides) spent almost all of his Knowledge Points on things he may never use in the shadows (Christian History [The Crusades], Bible verses, Latin), is renaming his adept powers to titles reflecting his faith (Killing Hands = Touch of God, Increased Reflexes = Lord's Grace) and lots of other flavourful stuff. But when he picked skills, all his skills are at 3 and 2. Some may consider it weak, but the concept behind the character is someone fairly new to the shadows, who hasn't undergone extensive training yet. He has just decided that it was God's will to purge the city's underside of heathens...

As I mentioned before, not sure how effective he'll be, but we're certainly having fun developing the character... and having fun is what we're here for, right? :)

SR13

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.