IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gymnastics dodge out of melee, Free attack?
Aza
post Nov 16 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,930

If movement takes a character within one meter of an opponent, and the character attempts to pass by without attacking the opponent, that opponent can spend a Free Action to take a free melee attack. This rule also applies to characters who are attempting to move out of melee combat. If the opponent has a weapon ready, he uses his normal melee weapon skill rating; otherwise, he uses Unarmed Combat skill. This attack follows all of the normal rules for melee combat (see p. 146).

Characters on full defense may still walk or run, and in fact may be better off moving towards cover.

Gymnastics Dodge: Characters skilled in Gymnastics can spend their action flipping, rolling, cartwheeling, etc. out of danger, and may add Gymnastics skill to their dice pool against either ranged or melee attacks.

Now my question is, if i use Full defense and a gymnastics dodge to move out of melee combat, does my opponent still get a free attack against me?

If so, it says in the first quote "This attack follows all of the normal rules for melee combat" I still use Reaction + gymnastics to avoid the free attack, even though im already using gymnastics to dodge the initial attack?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 16 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

You can move only on your action and you're apparently spending that action with a Gymnastics-supplemented Full Defense Dodge, yes?

So the opponent gets only his "free" attack against you as you move away. I don't see where the enemy is getting a free attack and a separate initial attack.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Nov 16 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 5,776

Movement is a non-action done on your turn. It is not something that happens in at any time you want.
Notice in the example give for Full Defense as an Interrupt Action (don't remember the page off the top of my head) that while the defender goes on Full Defense when it is not his Initiative, he doesn't actually move to cover until his Initiative comes around.

I don't see gymnastics dodge as actually moving away from the attacker, only as moving out of the way of the attack through acrobatic maneuvers while staying in the same general spot.

However, if the defender does move away from the attacker or another opponent that is within 1m on his Initiative, that opponent can use a Free Action to try to hit him.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 16 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

You move on your turn and the attacker gets to make an attack on your turn.

+Quote Post
Aza
post Nov 16 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #5

Target

What i meant was when the opponent is attacking me. He makes an attack against me, using the interrupt rules
Full Defense as an Interrupt Action
A character may invoke full defense against an attack at any point in a Combat Turn, so long as the character is not surprised (see p. 155). This means a character does not necessarily need to declare a full defense and take a Complex Action in advance—he can instead declare a full defense when attacked, even if it is not yet his Action Phase in the turn. Going on full defense as an interrupt, however, uses up the character’s next
available action.

So he declares an attack against me, i declare full defense: gymnastics dodge, using up my next action (be it this pass or next pass). It says that characters on full defense may still move (ie you're ducking and weaving as you are trying to get away).

As you are actively trying to dodge the blows with full defense, i would not think that the opponent would get a free attack against me, unlike the normal case where if im trying to leave melee combat i turn and run.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 16 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Don't forget that the Free Action everyone gets per Initiative Pass can be used at any point, like an interrupt action. So if you move away from a dude on your turn, the other guy has to burn a Free Action (either from his last turn or, I guess, from his next turn?)

If you're familiar with D&D 3.x, you'll notice the similiarity to their "attacks of opportunity" here.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 16 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Leaving the threatened square provokes an AoO. Er, well something like that. The melee opponent would normally get to attack on the defender's action when the defender moved. The initial attack would have been protected by that special use of Full Defense that you can select when it's not your turn.

As for the question, the Gymnastic "move" requires that you spend an action doing the flips, etc. But you no longer have the action to spend since it was already dedicated to Full Defense. You can still move only because normal movement does not require an action.

EDIT: You move pretty fast for a Slacker. :P Or maybe i move really slow? The thread really exploded under me.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 16 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Oh, okay, this is happening on your opponent's turn.

So your opponent is using a Complex to attempt to whack you, and you try to dodge it while moving away. Since you're moving away now, then yeah, I'd say if the other guy hasn't used up his Free Action yet then he gets another shot at you.

You're still Full Defense, though, so you're more likely to not get smacked on your way out.

EDIT: Using Gymnastics takes a Complex too? There's a kink, then.

+Quote Post
Aza
post Nov 16 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #9

Target

So are you saying it would end up:

Opponent attack, me full defense
opponent free attack, me full defense

or

opponent attack, me full defense
opponent free attack, me normal melee defense

I suppose the advantage is if he gets a free attack, he uses his free action, and therefore cannot use movement as a free action to catch up to me as i move away.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 16 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Azralon)
Oh, okay, this is happening on your opponent's turn.

Going into Full Defense did. But then it came to his normal initiative spot. But his Complex Action was already spent before on the interupting Full Defense.

+Quote Post
Aza
post Nov 16 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Target

the Gymnastic "move" requires that you spend an action doing the flips, etc.

Characters skilled in Gymnastics can spend their action flipping, rolling, cartwheeling, etc. out of danger

I took that to mean that with a gymnastics dodge, moving out of danger was part of the full defense action?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 16 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

I don't see anything in the quoted text saying that you're actually moving out of your current position.

+Quote Post
Aza
post Nov 16 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Target

Well its pretty hard to roll or cartwheel on the spot isnt it? :D

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 16 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Very hard. If one can do it in one spot, please get a video recording of it, I want to see it. :eek:

With rolling, I can get a good bit of distance away from my original spot. Cartwheel, likewise, but I feel so exposed while cartwheeling. I've seen my cousin (she did gymnastics growing up) do aerials (no hands cartwheels), very impressive to watch.

+Quote Post
Slacker
post Nov 16 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 5,776

QUOTE (Aza)
So are you saying it would end up:

or

That depends on how you decide Full Defense as an Interrupt Action works.
One interpretation is that if you go on Full Defense when it's not your turn, the Full Defense stops when it gets to your turn. In which case it would be:

Another interpretation is that the Full Defense lasts from the whenever you start it, lasting through your Initiative in which you already sacrificed the Complex action, on to whenever you would next get an action. In which chase it would be:

I suppose the advantage is if he gets a free attack, he uses his free action, and therefore cannot use movement as a free action to catch up to me as i move away.

Movement is a nonaction taken on your Initiative only. It is not a free action you can use to catch up to me.
Note: Running uses up a Free Action, but you still have to declare it on your Initiative and it really only acts to change your rate of movement. It is not taking an action when not your turn.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 17 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Aza @ Nov 16 2005, 06:43 PM)
Well its pretty hard to roll or cartwheel on the spot isnt it?  :D

Oh, I completely agree -- I'm just saying that I don't see anything directly saying you're travelling anywhere.

SR4 flavor text loves to contradict game mechanics, and vice versa.

+Quote Post
Aza
post Nov 17 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #17

Target

Yep i've been seeing plenty of examples where rules are either vague or ambiguous and until errata are released GM's are just going to have to interpret with their groups and come up with the most fair and realistic approach to these "grey areas" it seems.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.