Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Watcher Spirits, Questions and ideas
Turjon Apocritus
post Nov 17 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,914

I am running a campaign where one of the runners took Spirit Bane (watcher spirits) i said he could but no i think i might be regretting it because i normally like to really play up negative qualities because its free BP if you don't. So here is my question the Spirit Bane quality says that the runner "really torques" when in presence of the spirit picked.

Does anyone have any ideas i can use in the campaign, that a watcher spirit always force 1 and as dumb as a dog can harass a player.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Magus
post Nov 17 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

This is actually a fun flaw to roleplay both as a PC and GM......
Spirit Bane
Bonus: 10 BP
A character with the Spirit Bane quality really torques off a
certain type of spirit (see Spirits, p. 294). Th ese aff ected spirits are
likely to harass the character when he is in their presence and they
may be reluctant to obey or perform favors for the character or
his friends. If ordered to attack a party that includes the character,
these spirits will single the character out fi rst in an attempt to destroy
him.
Th is quality may be taken by any characters, not just magicians,
and magicians may possess this quality for a type of spirit
that is not part of their magical tradition.

This means the watcher cannot STAND this PC. IF he is in the presence of watcher spirits they will do all they can to harass injure or annoy the hell out of him. Wathcer spirits are the most common helpmate a mage can summon they can do so many things and if you get a lot of them they can really ruin your day. If the character is a mage and he is using Astral Perception he is dual natured have the NPC mage setup watchers as sentries use A LOT of them you get a gang of watchers hitting you astrally and it can hurt. If he is not percieving or a mundane then have them hound him, tauntingly and such until he leaves the area. Wathcers can be fun to use or an amazing hindrance.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Nov 17 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

You could have the Watchers run around to every single mage they can find, talking about the character and what he's doing.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 17 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I'm not sure watchers were intended to be a selectable Bane. They're too impotent, and can't do anything other than nonviolently harass a mundane.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 17 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 17 2005, 10:12 AM)
I'm not sure watchers were intended to be a selectable Bane.  They're too impotent, and can't do anything other than nonviolently harass a mundane.

If you really want to, you could probably make spirit bane: watchers work, if the character is mundane. A mage can too easily dismiss *most* of a watcher's hijinks. But you can still give it a try if you like. The trouble is, watchers aren't dangerous, just a nuissance... most times.

Spirit Bane: Fire Elemental, for instance, is quite dangerous. A single watcher is not. To make up for this, you'll need to make watchers nearly omnipresent. Even a hundred watchers at once can't do anything physical to a mundane. But a hundred watchers in a month could really mess with a charcter. They key, as I said, is that you need to find a way for watchers to be around constantly

Being, as some believe, partial and weak manifestations of a summoner's will, you may decide that Spirit Bane: Watchers means that the watchers are actually summoned by the character's flaw. Some random quirk about his personality makes him unconsciously summon watchers that hate him. perhaps it's a deep-seated self-loathing or whatever. Whatever it is, it means watchers can show up anywhere, at any time.

Anyway, once you find an excuse for practically continuous watcher presence, here's a few things to make him eat those 10 points:

Step 1) Sleep deprivation and edginess. Watchers show up in the dead of night, EVERY night. Some nights the one-watcher deathmetal band starts playing, other nights maybe they put on an act or two of "most annoying and loud arguments ever performed on stage." The character will have to sleep in powerful wards to avoid them. If the charater himself is summoning the watchers in his sleep, well... even wards won't help. Watchers should constantly pop out of places they aren't expected -- cereal boxes, ammo bags, etc. with scary faces. They can manifest on top of things like food, and make it look spoiled -- or like a severed head. The character should be poorly rested and jumpy.

Step 2) aggravation. Picture watchers as the most annoying children EVER. The only benefit is, you can zap them... but they'll be back. "Watcha doin? Whatcha doin? watcha Doin? What... cha... do...In? wathca doin? watcha doin? WHAAAAAAAAtcha doin? *team mage walks up, **zap!** *" -- this even works with mage characters in public places. Don't want to go around advertising dangerous spells and the like, so you'll have to get the annoying watcher child to follow you into a dark alley somewhere. Hope it's not SO dark that someone mistakes it for a real child (unlikely, but the character might still worry about it)

Step 3) An end to social life. "Hey, you know as a spirit I can read his mind? He only wants one thing, you know. And you'd better not leave for the bathroom, he'll sick you with the bill. Seen him do it a hundred times. But really, with that mole on your face, I wouldn't worry too much. He probably doesn't find you attractive enough to even use you." -- Best done as a whisper in his date's ear, so that he doesn't even know what happened...

Step 4) No stealth, ever. *dun dun dun dun duuuuun dundundundun* "Jim, what the hell is that music?" "I have no idea, but it starts up every time I start sneaking around! Sometimes, there's even a giant flashing arrow over my head, it's horrible!"

Step 5) Obfuscation via manifestation. Characters don't have much control over how their spirits, including watchers manifest. They can't, for instance, have a spirit of Man look like a lone star cop to get them out of trouble. But presumably, the spirit itself must have SOME control... "Jim, you're late, again!" "Sorry, suddenly my windshield went all black. I barely got the autonav on before almost plowing into a truck!" or have the watcher manifest as a hundred little smartlink reticicles drifting about when the character is trying to shoot something. This step isn't entirely within the rules, because as I said you don't' normally get to use the manifest power as a "minor illusion." But I doubt the rules took into account the possibility of watcher bane either...

Step 6) Enemies. Once the watcher horde learns of the character's enemies, they can ferry messages to them pretty much at will. Watchers have that wonderful "search" power... which makes tracking down the character's enemies easy.

Now, if the character is mundane, the team mage can help out with a lot of these... but he can't be on guard 24-7. And eventually, the teammates will take care of any slack in the harassment -- no team wants someone around that is as big of a hassle and security risk as this guy will be.

Of course, the flaw is only 10 points, so you don't want to OVER do it. Having every detail of a character's life reported to every enemy he ever makes is way more than 10 points. But watchers aren't very bright, just creative. Most probably won't think to pull something like that. But... every once in a while, a character's enemies will be told by "a little birdie" of a meet, and show up to ruin the runner's day a surely as a pissed off fire elemental would.

So, anyone want to take this flaw in one of *my* campaigns? It's starting to sound like a lot of fun. :)

+Quote Post
JRDobbs
post Nov 17 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,818

Consider that watchers provide cheap, reliable, secure messaging services in the 6th world, suggesting that normal urban astral space is filled with watchers zipping about every couple of minutes on errands. Now imagine a character with spirit bane (watchers) being buzzed by each and every one of these watchers who crosses his path on the street. The "chill" sensation associated with astral forms crossing an aura could quickly go from informative (there's an astral intruder about) to horrifying ("I'm being groped by dozens of watcher spirits!").

+Quote Post
Magus
post Nov 17 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Like I said typically watcher are the most unused overlooked aspects of spirits. There have been threads of watcher packs in astral space giving the friends in melee bonus on attacking elementals. But even if the subject is mundane you can do so much with them kinda like a lower form of gremlins as feshy said. Have fun go nuts with this. It is not a fatal flaw like if he chose Fire or Earth spirit bane. But one that can cause havoc and good times.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 17 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

If you're lousy with orbiting watchers to where they're interfering with every public and private moment, then at that point I'd say 10 BPs are an inadequate compensation.

The whole Affinity/Bane thing is woefully underquantified anyway. I'd be much more comfortable with it if they had outright said something clean like "You are at +1/-1 dice to all Opposed Tests with this kind of spirit."

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 17 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)

QUOTE (Azralon)
If you're lousy with orbiting watchers to where they're interfering with every public and private moment, then at that point I'd say 10 BPs are an inadequate compensation.

The whole Affinity/Bane thing is woefully underquantified anyway. I'd be much more comfortable with it if they had outright said something clean like "You are at +1/-1 dice to all Opposed Tests with this kind of spirit."

I think they are okay as written, myself.

Bane more or less means that if an elemental of that type attacks the group, the first and hardest hit will be the character with the Bane flaw. You have to be a bit careful, because sometimes this can be an advantage -- like when the physad spirit hunter takes three Bane flaws just to keep the spirits off his chummers. And if the whole party takes it, it becomes "meaningless" -- until a swarm of those spirits descend from astral space and eat the whole team alive.

Affinity is a bit harder to quantify, except for the little bit of text "using a nonlethal power if forced to attack regardless." -- this is a 10-point "get out of being burned alive free" card. Not a worthless investment, given the power of spirits in SR4.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 17 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Yeah, anything vaguely written can be made cool with the right GM's interpretation.

Therein lies the weakness, too. :)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Nov 17 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Feshy)
Bane more or less means that if an elemental of that type attacks the group, the first and hardest hit will be the character with the Bane flaw.

And this sucks in more ways than can be really expressed. I was honestly considering this Flaw (Spirit Bane-Fire spirits), as it fits perfectly into my character's backstory, but Holy Hell are spirits powerful in SR4! It's basically like the Borrowed Time flaw in SR3: as soon as you run into a single fire spirit you're dead.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 17 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 17 2005, 09:31 AM)
Bane more or less means that if an elemental of that type attacks the group, the first and hardest hit will be the character with the Bane flaw.

And this sucks in more ways than can be really expressed. I was honestly considering this Flaw (Spirit Bane-Fire spirits), as it fits perfectly into my character's backstory, but Holy Hell are spirits powerful in SR4! It's basically like the Borrowed Time flaw in SR3: as soon as you run into a single fire spirit you're dead.

Just make sure ALL your armor has the fire resistant add-on. Six free dice to resist their damage makes them... well, you know, take two turns to burn you alive instead of one.

Engulf + fire aura, if they do indeed stack, euqals one cripsy character.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Nov 18 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

A Spirit's Intuition and Logic are equal to its force.
So a powerful free spirit might not wish to kill a character but to make his life miserable.
For example: During the middle of a simple run the Fire Spirit set off the fire alarm; The character come home from a great night out at the bar to ind a fire spirit roasting marshmallows over what used to be his apartment; The item you were sent to retrieve is torched.
10 BP for this is a little low to happen more than once in a great while.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 18 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

The problem with watchers hating you is that they seem to glitch more often than they succeed. I just ran a sample combat for my flatmate yesterday (using the combat mage sample character) and on one turn his watchers *all* glitched initiative, two of them critically.

Basically, they can try and do stuff but unless they're working together they won't be able to do much and may well end-up helping you as, with only 1-2 dice to roll, are fairly likely to critically glitch in their attempts to harm you.

I mean, they don't even have the perception skill. When defaulting you roll attribute -1. With an attribute of 1, that leaves 0 dice meaning you need to spend edge or to extra dice. Watchers have an edge of 0, so they'd need extra dice. Unless multiple watchers are actively looking for you as a group, they can't even see you unless you're obvious. Astral forms are obvious, we know this much, but what are auras? Note that even if they did get to use their assensing skill, which is hardly appropriate unless you're precieving or projecting, it's not hard to give someone even a -1 or -2 dice penalty to make them fail. If you ever start sneaking, then they'll probably lose track of you, or maybe even forget you were ever there.

+Quote Post
Turjon Apocritus
post Nov 18 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 7,914

Thank you so much everyone for all of the ideas and suggestions i start this run sunday so i will let you all know how it goes and see what i can do.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Nov 18 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 948

So the player choose spirit bane and watchers…Is he INSANE?

Ok, here are the perks.

They cannot really physically harm him.

Here are the drawbacks.

Lonestar Watchers: Will keep a few extra eyes open on him, and report him, constantly – no matter how innocent he is.

Team Mage summons watcher: Watcher refuses to cooperate until the character leaves the group.

Random Watchers: Well, they can probably find SOME reason to harass him. Let’s see…they had some nifty powers didn’t they? Alarm for example? Having a watcher popping up every few minutes/seconds/at important meetings blaring out a searing sound of alert might not be very fu

Corporate Watchers: Might be reported as an intruder as long as he is on the premises, or simply just attacked by the local spirit since the watchers told him that they had an intruder.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 18 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

That's what I mean about these Qualities needing hard rules rather than relying completely on GM interpretation. Watchers can be totally ineffectual wisps or a devastating zergling horde, depending on how your gamemaster sees them and the gameworld.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Nov 18 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 948

Agree, Lilts example made me wonder if one can rely on a watcher acting independently at all. Still, my example was more in the line of what watchers would do on a regular day when the character is just walking on the street or just going shopping. The watchers just have a strong dislike to the persons aura and will attack it in one way or another (not physically, that would be silly).

Having the GM interpreting the rules for a flaw, or at least coming to an agreement with the player in how the flaw would affect the character is something I find as a good thing, a flaw is just that, a flaw. Flaws should be felt and just not be a freebie point. I see spirit bane working in different ways depending on the spirit type and what background the player might have for the character.

Watchers: Deals in information and harassment, would not harm the character physically. Harassing you with Alarm power, constant manifestations and yelling profanities at the character every 30 seconds on the other hand…

Animal Spirits: these might call upon local animals to attack you or just make sure that those guard dogs know where you are.

Elemental spirits: These can be a pain. Have the wind spirit made sure that your car is beneath a huge pile of snow for the third week in a row, in the middle of summer? Have the earth elemental removed your house again, oh, its there, five meters below the surface. Water spirits can be very destructive, especially if they find out where you live…constant flooding anyone?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.