IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have your characters ever gone legit?, ...and what jobs are open to ex-runners?
mmu1
post Nov 17 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,058

So, I have this character, who - as a result of some recent events in-game - has been thinking about quitting - or at least getting into a field where he can use his skills without feeling conflicted about it. (he's never going to do it, I'm closing in on 100 Karma and I'll be damned if I retire him willingly, but it ought to make for some interesting RP if it comes up)

He's basically a street sam - but with no visible cyber to speak of, a pretty decent Charisma and people skills, good electronics skills, and a growing proficiency in Biotech and First Aid...

Which made me think - if he wanted to get out, do you think he'd have a shot at getting a job with, for example, Doc Wagon? Do corporations ever do that kind of thing? Could a highly skilled individual that decided to go legit expect help from a prospective employer on getting all the SIN/permit business out of the way?

And what's your best bet at getting a legitimate job after quitting as a runner - assuming you don't want to be working the counter at the stuffer shack, or security at some mall...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 17 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

DocWagon actually sounds like a good idea. He's got Biotech skills, people skills, no obvious cyber... And he's a sammie? Sounds like a shoe-in for a DocWagon HTR member. That, or the 'Star.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 17 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

A bodyguarding gig would probably work, too. Or Lone Star, or even just a "company man" position.

+Quote Post
Sicarius
post Nov 17 2005, 07:17 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,270

My concern with both DocWagon, and 'Star would be that a background check may lead to some questions.

"Let's see... Mr. Thompson, from 2057 through 2062, you have your position listed as 'Deniable Asset.' Tells us a little bit about that."

Of course that would be in your favor as a "Company Man," assuming there's a corp that trusts the character. Is he on really good terms with any Johnsons?

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Nov 17 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I actually had a character develop a woodworking skill in his down time. He opened a shop near Council Island to sell his totem sculptures. The GM houseruled that the effort and passion he poured into the work allowed the carvings he did to be more attractive on the astral than the mundane plane. He had a steady supply of mages and shamans coming in to look at the things and commission carvings of their totems. He wasn't magical, but he had a knack.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Nov 17 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Sicarius)
My concern with both DocWagon, and 'Star would be that a background check may lead to some questions.

"Let's see... Mr. Thompson, from 2057 through 2062, you have your position listed as 'Deniable Asset.' Tells us a little bit about that."

Of course that would be in your favor as a "Company Man," assuming there's a corp that trusts the character. Is he on really good terms with any Johnsons?

In my case it'd be more like "Hmm... So until the fall of 2055, this lists your place of residence as... Chicago?"

That's what I'm wondering about, though - would those corporations really care? Is someone who comes in with a ton of experience in the required fields and basically admits to being an "independent contractor" any more of a risk than someone with a legitimate background that could be a plant from a rival corporation? As long as they're not running from something, and likely to bring trouble down on the company, why not recruit them? They'll likely have fewer suspicious ties that someone who "legitimately" worked for special forces for a country or a corp in the Sixth World.

Although - assuming the corps would have a problem with that - what do you think (if anything) is there that a character could do to make himself acceptable to an employer like LS or DW?

+Quote Post
brohopcp
post Nov 17 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,770

Here's the problem I see. The corp may hire you for whatever regular job you want to retire with. But, the first time they want a cheap shadowrunner? They call you and say, take this runner job or be fired/exposed.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Nov 17 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

Self-employed bodyguard.

Incorporate yourself, establish a legitimate business that pays taxes and plays ball with the authorities. Report your earnings, follow the letter of the law and be a good corporate citizen in every way. No problemo.

And a 100-Karma character with "no visible cyber to speak of, a pretty decent Charisma and people skills" could name his price as a bodyguard. He's probably very competent (100 Karma's nothing to sneeze at), experienced, savvy and cool under pressure. Good people skills translates to: "I can watch your back whether you're on the street, in the boardroom or at a black-tie gala." That's money, baby.

Seriously, I'd see no problem with this guy's rates starting at $100 an hour just for showing up. If he ever has to do anything, the fee should start ticking upwards rapidly (danger pay, expenses, etc.). Even if he only works "part-time," he could still earn more in a year than if he'd been shadowrunning--and probably be a lot safer, too.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 17 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (brohopcp)
Here's the problem I see. The corp may hire you for whatever regular job you want to retire with. But, the first time they want a cheap shadowrunner? They call you and say, take this runner job or be fired/exposed.

That depends on why they hired you and who the management is. It's not impossible, but there are major risks for a corp doing that.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 17 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (brohopcp)

That depends on why they hired you and who the management is. It's not impossible, but there are major risks for a corp doing that.

~J

Shadowrunners are use das deniable assets, that is the entire point. If you are an employee then you aren't deniable. They might as well just send their own uniformed security forces.

Getting as job depends on wh you know more than what you can do. If you have a good contact who is in a position to hire you then it is almost certain that you can get a job. If not, you may have some trouble.

As a general rule, important people don't make many hiring decisions. They instead pass off a stack of resumes to a first-day intern with orders to whittle them down to a more five or so, shattering the hopes and dreams of hundreds of applicants in the process. The person in change then interviews those five. Sometimes, he doesn't even do that. Sometimes he lets the inexperienced subordinant do the interviews too just because he doesn't want to be the one to turn someone down.

So, the trick is to know a lowly human resources intern fresh out of school. If you do, the job is in the bag.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Nov 17 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #11

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Velocity)
Even if he only works "part-time," he could still earn more in a year than if he'd been shadowrunning--and probably be a lot safer, too.

Wtf? Are you kidding? Bodyguarding jobs as a shadowrunner are among the worst jobs I can think of especially in the risk/reward area.

You had the right idea about setting up your own biz. Perhaps a consultant.

There are also alot of people besides corps that would hire an ex-runner. Mom and pop operations can't be as choosy and don't have the power to screw you over like a big corp would. Momand pop may even "adopt" you if you become like one ofthe family.

If all else fails,you could always teach gym class. :)

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 17 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Or the french teacher... or the cook.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Nov 17 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Velocity @ Nov 17 2005, 02:38 PM)
Even if he only works "part-time," he could still earn more in a year than if he'd been shadowrunning--and probably be a lot safer, too.

Wtf? Are you kidding? Bodyguarding jobs as a shadowrunner are among the worst jobs I can think of especially in the risk/reward area.

No, I'm not kidding. Bodyguarding is superb work, considering that as an independent operator you can pick and choose your contracts. Fact is, if some client is certain that they're in mortal danger and they describe a situation which seems high-risk, your character turns them down. "No, thank you -- we do low-exposure, low-risk work."

He's not a shadowrunner anymore, he doesn't have to worry about his ego. He (hopefully) doesn't have anything to prove to anyone, nor any scores to settle. Let him pick and choose the jobs that are offered and take the lowest-risk ones.

The fact is, most people who hire a little security never need it. Even if he "only" makes :nuyen: 50 / hour (which would be an incredibly cheap rate, considering his expertise), he'd still be pulling in :nuyen: 100,000 per annum; nice chunk of change for easy work.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 17 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #14

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Nov 17 2005, 05:03 PM)
Or the french teacher... or the cook.

I hate you. Now I want to go rent If Looks Could Kill.

And Under Siege.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Nov 18 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #15

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Sicarius)

What, you don't budget for a fake SIN and change of identity when stashing away cash for your retirement?

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Nov 18 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

I have a character, who's history was that he was a former soldier, honorably discharged, and has a day job as a radio show host. Essentially, he "moonlights" as a Shadowrunner Samurai. So he already started off with a SIN.

Recently, he (and others) escaped the Renraku Arco. Ironically, he was in his "day job" identity (he was doing his radio show in the mall to hype and do signings for his recently published novel). When they escaped, he was with the group picked up by the UCAS Coast Guard, where he offered the authorities a detailed briefing (they were very interested). Because of the escalating Arco crisis, he was reactivated by the UCAS Army, where he helped the Army plan, train and lead the Army to retake the Arco.

Depending on how things go, he may or may not be able to return to Shadowrunning.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Nov 18 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (LinaInverse)
I have a character, who's history was that he was a former soldier, honorably discharged, and has a day job as a radio show host. Essentially, he "moonlights" as a Shadowrunner Samurai. So he already started off with a SIN.

Recently, he (and others) escaped the Renraku Arco. Ironically, he was in his "day job" identity (he was doing his radio show in the mall to hype and do signings for his recently published novel). When they escaped, he was with the group picked up by the UCAS Coast Guard, where he offered the authorities a detailed briefing (they were very interested). Because of the escalating Arco crisis, he was reactivated by the UCAS Army, where he helped the Army plan, train and lead the Army to retake the Arco.

Depending on how things go, he may or may not be able to return to Shadowrunning.

Very interesting, how was that roleplayed? Or was it behind the scenes?

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Nov 18 2005, 05:41 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

Would he be interested in settling down in a smalltown and opening up a Mom and Pop restaurant, using a SIN that someone else no longer needed?
Later he could hire some Shadow runners to help him get his life back when his Mafia connected brother discovers his identity and wants him dead.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Nov 18 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Very interesting, how was that roleplayed? Or was it behind the scenes?

Mostly roleplayed. We ran the Arco arc (took a few RL months), then managed to escape via the sewage plant. Once he was reactivated though, he's mostly been an NPC.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Nov 18 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #20

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

The most powerful mage I ever had in my games retired to become an English Teacher. His masking was so good no one at a school could feasibly penetrate it. He used his position to spot talented kids so he could get them trained.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Nov 19 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #21

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I just got done with a story arc involving my character "Doc" (nice and generic, ain't it? :) )

Worked for DocWagon, had to hit the shadows to pay off a debt that his sister ended up owing the Yakuza. He paid it off, and knowing that paying wouldn't actually make her safe, arranged to have her moved through the Tir to Tir Na Nog and into an "undisclosed" location in England. (Take that. I know a Tir ambassador :P)

He was the "smart" type of runner, always careful not to leave evidence, etc. Managed to keep his "real" identity hidden. Debt paid and scores settled, he arranged to have himself moved overseas by the same method. The only folks that know where he is are him, his sister, his (soon to be) wife that went with him, and his parents.

He just picked up his life again, getting a job with <<Insert England's version of DW here>>. He figures in a few years he might go back to Seattle. (read: if I get a chance to play him again)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 19 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

A lot of the talk is based on his combat skills being used legitimately. I assume he wants out of the career path that puts him on the receiving end of msall arms fire. otherwise stay in the shadows. It pays better.

A character should have skills other than strictly combat developed for character development. these can be played up. We've had runners become instructors at health clubs, teachers (private tutors) an assistant coach with the mariners and a tour guide.

One became a fixer and one, after being caught and doing several years inside got mechanic skills and got a job as a mechanic.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Nov 19 2005, 05:06 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

My street sam will probably start up some sort of business. Maybe an oricalcum-production business (with his investments buying the initial radical metals and enhantment gear for the mage), and suckering the mage into a five-year contract (and hey, the mage gets to keep 100k nuyen worth of enchanting gear afterwards, as well as getting a tidy income in the mean time).

+Quote Post
Dog
post Nov 19 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Got media contacts? You could be a "creative consultant" for Hollywood.

"That's not how you hold the bloody thing!"

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 19 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #25

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Well... Criminal Record, Diplomatic Immunity and Day Job are not mutually exclusive, so going by game logic, he could end up as the Legal Attache in the embassy to the country he did time in.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.