Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Falling Damage, Table, p154
Azralon
post Nov 19 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,773

So if I fall only one meter, I have to soak 2 boxes of damage? Are Shadowrunners made out of eggshells?

And I presume that's supposed to be Stun, although I find no explicit mention either way. Every 2 meters over 8 adds 1 box, so it'd seem like after a certain height you're looking at bleedover into the Physical column. That part at least tracks, but I hate that I had to "guess" at it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 19 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

by "fall" i presumed they meant something along the lines of, say, falling and landing on something other than your feet, in the case of the short distance drops.

so, for example, that doesn't represent you jumping off the top of a large crate, it represents you being pushed off and landing on your arm, or whatnot.

or at least, that's how i understand it.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 19 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

So lessee, per 116 an average human (Agility 3, Gymnastics 0) would be rolling 2 dice on a vertical jump. That's an average of .66 hits, and divided by 2 that's a third of a meter (if we keep it fractional). So your average Joe has about a 12-inch vertical leap.

Or, keeping it in pure game mechanics: 0 hits means Joe can't jump. 1 hit means he jumped a half of a meter straight up. 2 hits means he jumped one meter straight up. A glitch means he jumped but fell on his butt, and a critical glitch is, I'm sure, even more embarrassing in some way.

So if Joe gets 2 hits, he can clear a meter... and then he'll promptly be falling one meter. Whoops, Joe, soak 2 Stun damage. You likely have a 3 Body, so odds are you'll reduce that down to 1 Stun.

Moral: Average humans doing standing vertical jumps will very likely fall down a lot, and eventually they'll just knock themselves out.

:please:

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 19 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Jaid)

I think that's the only way it'd make sense, yeah. :) Man, this book is disappointing.

+Quote Post
lumikant
post Nov 19 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,953

Yeah, that works if you're assuming that you need a roll for a simple jump. Thats like rolling for walking.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 19 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

There's definitely a difference between falling from the height of a meter, and just jumping down from 1 meter. Having now known three people who have broken their arms from falls of that height (when things underneath them gave out our shifted suddenly) onto hard surfaces, I can understand that in bad circumstances a couple DV is appropriate. Of course, if you hop down from a crate or something, I don't think the DV would apply at all.

And yea... the roll to "land" a jump successfully is included in the roll to make the jump. Only have them resist falling damage on a glitch or something.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 19 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

and isn't a 36 inch vertical for an "average" human pretty decent? I know i'm short and chubby, but i still dont even get that high...

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Nov 19 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 19 2005, 01:16 PM)

I think that's the only way it'd make sense, yeah. :) Man, this book is disappointing.

As opposed to the oh so much better 3rd edition rules where an average man trying to carry his average wife across the threshold and into bed on their wedding night who keels over dead or the infamous "Jack the Tripper" rules.

Withstand 2S physical mr. corp boy...bwahahahahaha!!!

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 19 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Aku)
and isn't a 36 inch vertical for an "average" human pretty decent? I know i'm short and chubby, but i still dont even get that high...

Depends on what you mean by vertical jump. If you mean the one that's important for things like playing volleyball, then 1m is KICK ASS.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/VerticalJump.html

If it's just an impromptu jumping onto something like a ledge and doesn't assume landing on your feet, then it's not bad.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 19 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #10

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

well, when i think of "jumping", i figure you are getting high enough to clear something at that height, but doesnt mean they land on their feet, for instance, jumping over a fence or brush.

+Quote Post
Akimbo
post Nov 20 2005, 08:28 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,844

People slipping on some ice and hitting their head on the ground has been known to kill. That's no more than 2 meters.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 20 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

An unprotected fall from standing is more likely to cause spinal injury than a 35 MPH head-on collision in a modern car.

By the time your head hits the ground, it's going over 4m/s. That can kill quite easily. It usually doesn't, because humans have instinctive responses to protect their heads and spines while falling. But as soon as the fall becomes unnoticed, or the arms become paralyzed, or the body's natural defenses are in any other way compromised, it's a dangerous world all over again.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Liper
post Nov 20 2005, 09:07 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

he speaks the truth! I work in a nursing home and man, a 2 foot fall can do what a cliff does to us to the elderly/unaware.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 21 2005, 04:55 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Akimbo @ Nov 20 2005, 04:28 AM)
People slipping on some ice and hitting their head on the ground has been known to kill.  That's no more than 2 meters.

That line gave me a "womp rat" flashback.

I chewed on the idea of taking 2S from a 1 meter fall, and I actually ended up okay with it. An average (Bod:3, Wil:3) human is going to get over 2S after about an hour. Odds are he's going to soak half of it first anyway.

So, while I personally don't often get sore after jumping down off of a loading dock (barring a glitch), I'm pretty sure that I'd be at least annoyed for a little while if I had tripped and fallen from that height.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Nov 21 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #15

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Add in the new injury penelaties thresholds, and 2 boxes of damge is you feeling a little sore but not being inconvienced, having had a seriously jarred ankle from glitching a jump off about 1.5-2.0 meters I think it sound reasonable, (I'd call that three boxes of physical btw).

Doing phys rather than stun actually sounds like a good critical glitch on a jump down.

How quicly does the damage go up? I don't have my book to hand.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.