Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this a gross team or what?, Playing with SR4's power levels
Cheops
post Nov 19 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 392

Using standard 400 point starting characters here is what my friends and I came up with:

Face: adept with a bit of bioware, throwing 22 dice on all con and negotiation tests, 18 dice on all other social interactions
Tank: troll, throws 33 dice on resistance, 12 on full ranged dodge, 8 on melee, and 10 with machine guns
Ghost Recon: adept, throws 15 dice min on infiltration, -4 to see, another -6 if you're looking thermally, tons of drones and agents, 11 dice to snipe
Technomancer: don't need to say anymore
Mage: don't need to say anymore

Does this team, completely legal, strike anyone else as being overly broken? At least compared to SR3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Nov 19 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Not really; you could do most of that in SR3. The point is, what are each team member's *weaknesses*? Each team member specialization has a broad array of things they need to be able to do, that don't fit into the single good tricks you outlined. Does the tank have any demolitions skill? Can the recon guy break a lock? Can the technomancer do... anything without having to Thread a complex form? If the deal goes sour, can the social adept take a bullet to the Face?

(Edit): That said, the adept's Improved Ability power is pretty broken, especially now that it's cheaper for noncombat skills. house-rule that away and things get much saner.

Oh, and did your troll tank forget his smartlink? Those dice pool numbers seem a little low.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 20 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #3

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Those weaknesses can be attributed to most SR3 PCs as well.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Nov 20 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

actualy, the real point where things get broken is defaults in SR4. someone who specilized in pistols will have a high agility. other guns default to agility -1. So someone with agility 5(7) and pistols 6 (+2 semi-auto, +2 Smartlink, +1 reflex recorder) gets 18 dice to throw at a pistols test, even unskilled he has 6 dice with automatics and longarms, 8 if its smartlinked. 6 dice with all kinds of close combat, gunnery, heavy weapons, infiltrate, palming, locksmith, ect. High attributes are king now.

now, an average human professional has 6 dice (3+3). having that many puts you on par with a professional, mechanicaly, even if your unskilled. Theres no reason for a non-mage to not have a default of 6 for his primary skills stat.

A shadowrunner will have 12 to 20 dice in their specialty, and 6 to 8 in areas they consider important. the unaugmented human max is 16 dice, with a specialty, aptitude, and exceptional attribute. Adepts and street sams are better than that. and i dont think anything less than 16 dice is proper gun-fu. at 16 you can buy a crital hit on an unoposed test.

and remember, a LOT of skills are bypassed with equipment. an autopicker or medkit adds its rating to attribute+skill, or replaces skill. a maglock sequencer or passkey avoids the need for three hardware tests (open it, unlock it, close it back up). which is good, considering how often locks and bullet wounds come into play.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Nov 20 2005, 02:59 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

Cept the you can't spend more then half your points on attributes at start, but... see what I did with my cyber mage.

agility of 9, without spending a point in it = )

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 20 2005, 03:11 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 19 2005, 06:29 PM)
Those weaknesses can be attributed to most SR3 PCs as well.

... which is why it's a good place to start looking for weaknesses. If the twinked out, 2-fists of dice SR3 PCs had those shortcomings then because SR4 is similar enough in overall structure that you can look roughly in the same areas for the old "solutions" to that kind of PC (though specifics can vary of course).

+Quote Post
Liper
post Nov 20 2005, 03:36 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

don't forget there is also a rule about needing a skill to achieve certain tests, or bieng unable to achieve more net hits then your something for defualting

+Quote Post
Akimbo
post Nov 20 2005, 07:58 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,844

Safety in numbers. If you catch any of them alone or missing some within the group, you can expect them to be in a heck of a lot of trouble. Obviously your stealth person will be great going into hiding, but what if they need to talk their way out? Or what if they're in a completely lit room with nothing to sneak behind? They might face Bubba the Love Troll with a shock glove just waiting to make some new friends in your butt. The fact is that any and all teams need each other to function effectively. Specialization is key, but being balanced is just as important. Plan A almost never works. Therefore, everyone should be able to contribute to more than one thing. We have the same problem in our group. A lot of people end up sitting out in a hacking, rigging, or astral combat situation.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Nov 20 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Question: how many in the group have Cha 1 and /or the uncouth flaw?

Just wondering...

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Nov 20 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #10

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Creating an overpowered group is possible in every system. But where's the fun?

+Quote Post
BGMFH
post Nov 20 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,018

Conversely, creating balanced characters is possible in every system, but where is the challenge?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 20 2005, 06:54 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (MaxHunter @ Nov 20 2005, 06:45 AM)

Just wondering...

Cheers,

Max

Hehe, i built a character for another guy in our group (he normally has one of the 'powergamers' do the nuts & bolts of his characters after outlining the parameters). He had Cha 1 and Uncouth. But i also gave him First Impression to ease the pain a bit and Etiquette 1. :) The net result isn't a lot of BP, but it think it respents the character he envisioned and does create 7BP while having something of an Etiquette roll for when the rest of the team doesn't manage to issolate him from other people. :)

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 21 2005, 05:27 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 19 2005, 02:38 PM)
Does this team, completely legal, strike anyone else as being overly broken?

Each team member in your example has a clear-cut role in which they excel. They all get to shine in their particular specialties, and from a teamplay standpoint that's just fine by me. Their biggest challenge now is to keep themselves effectively organized, but that's a good kind of challenge.

From a GM's standpoint someone might worry "Crap, how am I going to challenge these people? The face can handle any social situation. The tank is indestructible. The adept never misses. Yadda yadda."

I always tell my players that I don't care how crazy their characters are, I always have bigger crazy on tap. The mage owns in astral space? Fine, the group is attacked by a group of astral elven shamans with weapon foci and a horde of spirits. The techno rules the Matrix? Okay, the bad guys have all have active jammers and their computers don't have WiFi. The tank is indestructible? The corps send a fleet of rigged drones after him.

Basically, if you're running a high powered team then they shouldn't be getting hired for milk runs. They should be working high-dollar jobs because the Johnson(s) are going to be expecting that much more from them. High reward equals high risk, so you have every right to throw down the Big Crazy as opposition.

I actually have players who have said to other players "Oh jeez, your power scale is pretty high up there. You might want to tone that down so the rest of us mid-range people don't become collateral damage."

+Quote Post
Gambitt
post Nov 21 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 3,425

QUOTE (Azralon)

I actually have players who have said to other players "Oh jeez, your power scale is pretty high up there. You might want to tone that down so the rest of us mid-range people don't become collateral damage."

Ive had that happen before too.

+Quote Post
TheScrivener
post Nov 22 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,993

I think the reactions to overpowered PCs come in two flavors. First, there's the very real balance issue. One player is way better than the rest at feng shui-ing the points into an ubermensch who pWns all the others, and they're jealous. Solution: either tell the one character to rewrite or (even better) tell them that if they want to keep that character, they need to help the other players with their chargen. Since this is usually my role anyway...

The second one is not really a problem at all, in my mind, except for the GM. It's hard to challenge a full group of incredibly powerful individuals. That's where you stop looking at realism and start looking at action movies. Cook up gangs of ninja, post-Crash otaku tribes, packs of shapeshifter wolves, indestructible cadres of Red Samurai. Whatever they can create, you can create - and you don't have to follow those pesky character generation rules. If the players can play as well as they can create characters, you're in for a hell of a ride.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Nov 22 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (MaxHunter)

Just wondering...

Cheers,

Max

Troll has Cha 1, and both troll and ghost recon have uncouth...but you can easily modify that for both without unduly affecting their specialties

these characters have no where near the weaknesses of an SR3 group...purely because of the way the system works now...I need 4 hits instead of one TN 14 success? no problem

and I don't know how your group works but in my group we're criminals...if you can't get something by talking to people you take it so charisma isn't as important in that case...plus with the way the availability and contact rules work in SR4 you don't need contacts as much as you used to. It's called cold calling and networking.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 22 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 22 2005, 05:02 PM)
and I don't know how your group works but in my group we're criminals...if you can't get something by talking to people you take it so charisma isn't as important in that case...plus with the way the availability and contact rules work in SR4 you don't need contacts as much as you used to.  It's called cold calling and networking.

True, but some amount of social grace can be advantageous. Charisma 1 and uncouth? Please tell me they bought some social skills? That's not lack of social grace, that's into the realms of seriously debilitating mental illness. I'd say that there's be a good chance the cha 1/uncouth troll shat himself at the first run with the jhonson, for example.

Seem a little harsh? Consider that charisma 1 with uncouth and no social skills is as socially inept as it is possible to be with the SR4 system. Charisma 1/Uncouth is not cool. They'd not just mouth-off to the jhonson and annoy everyone being generally unpleasant. I'd personally suggest that they act like an autistic child, or rather I'd let them act like an autistic teenager if they bought a point of ettiquette. Rolling 2 dice for ettiquette still gives a good chance of glitching (33% chance of glitching, 11% chance of normal and 22% chance of critical) in any social situation. That 33% chance of a glitch is for a normal, non-uncouth, character so I can hardly see those glitches going well for an uncouth character. Remove the point of ettiquette (because you really needed those 8BP to up your pistols skill, didn't you?) and they don't even get to roll which if I was running certainly wouldn't work-out any better than the version with one point in a skill. After-all, the jhonson insulted him so he hated the jhonson and he breaks things he hates so that they go away.

All of this has its place as a character concept, maybe your character is a decker with a virtual person carer who helps him out in social situations, but that sort of staggering social ineptitude is hardly suitable for a character who's expected to go on a run or even interact with the team.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 22 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Composure test: Wil + Cha. "Aieee! They're shoooooting at meeee!!"

Judge Intentions test: Int + Cha. "Me think mage-healer man is trying to feel me up."

I certainly don't wanna glitch on either of those. Poor troll.

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Nov 25 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Actually he is just run as an NPC for the group and since I am the GM I do actually run him like an autistic child. One of his favorite conversation topics is the fact that his mom was named "The." And the group follows the SR tradition of leaving the munchkin, socially awkward characters in the van while everyone else meets johnson.

However, I did forget about the Composure tests. I'll just have to change his High Pain Tolerance 1 to Guts and purely use drugs to get high pain tolerance. Plus he can always snort some of his novacoke for that extra plus 1 cha. 30 nuyen a shot isn't too expensive.

The way the group is working without contacts is that basically they were fairly big runners elsewhere but were forced to run to Seattle after some bad stuff went down. Undoubtably this has something to do with the social adept, mage who tends to go around naked because of his shapeshifting penchant, and of course the socially inept troll. Now they are trying to start over again in Seattle with something of a bad rep among fixers and Johnsons.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Nov 28 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

*shrug*

Looks like you're trying to emulate typical overspecialized mmorpg classes - which are the main reason I don't play mmorpgs.

Personally, I prefer teams that can back each other up, stand in for another team member's role if necessary, and God forbid, actually blend in with the public/wageslaves/whatever.

3/4 of that group would have problems just trying to buy a soyburger at a StufferShack without involving the Star.

Still, if that's what you're happy with, great work!

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 28 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Nov 28 2005, 03:11 PM)
3/4 of that group would have problems just trying to buy a soyburger at a StufferShack without involving the Star.

Heh, well said.

I've seen far too many players gimp themselves in the name of minmaxing, thereby making even the most mundane tasks overcomplicated. Sure, your 4-meter-tall SR3 giant (troll metavariant) can wrestle a juggernaut to the ground, but when using a public restroom involves a difficult Quickness roll you may have gone too far. Yes, true story.

I quote a point-hungry rigger: "Cortex bomb, here I come!"

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Nov 28 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

I agree. Above all else, a shadowrunning team needs to work well together, and be able to support one another. My DMs may have been a tad harsh, but we tend to die, mid-run, and someone has to pick up the slack when that happens. Also, if you take a flaw, our DM will make a point of making it come up once in a while to remind you that building points are not free.

This team doesn't seem to work well together at all. Who cares how sneaky the Ghost Recon guy is when he has Earthquake McTroll clanking down the hallway beside him? When the technomancer gets shot, who does the remaining hacking? If the mage drops, it seems the group is fairly fucked, arn't they?

Individually these guys are very good at the ONE thing they can do, and sound completely innept at anything else... I can hardly imagine them getting to the meet in one piece, much less pulling off a (il)legitimate shadowrun together.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Nov 28 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Heh, i told a story about a current team we have. We actually do alright together, we do have a lot of options, but we definately are lacking in some things. We lack a hacker...which means nuyen from us should we need to do it...and we don't have any rigger either(again, looks like we gotta hire). There are only three of us, so it was inevitable we end up lacking in SOMETHING at any rate.

Our chars are built well, but none of us went crazy with the minmaxing. We did a bit of course, but we still managed to get something going.

We have a mage specialized in conjuring, banishing, and binding...no spellcasting(but counterspelling). However, they have no combat skills whatsoever so we gotta watch out for him if he doesn't have a spirit doing it. However, I find that the spirits are great...they help fill in some niches we don't have(another thing we lack is stealth...but the powers have helped us there. I know playing a runner without stealth is asking for it, but none of our guys had 'jobs' beforehand that even needed it...so why give it to the character for no reason?) NOW they see the importance(they made it out alive so far after a big bash in), so we can start learning it.

The other mage is well balanced between spirits, spells, and his monowhip, with a good street etiquette to help out there. He can get us around no problem when it comes to the gang territories and the underground, but isn't too familiarized with the corporate life. Is also a decent shot with a smattering of other skills in there. But has some great spells with versatility.

My adept(yes, a full magically active party) handles the major buttkicking...but has an incredible perception that helps, and has massive intimidation skills(for interrigation and scary purposes), but also has Kinesics and a Negotiation skill and an Etiquette skill, all of that with a decent charisma allow him to do something decent socially that doesn't involve scaring them. English is his second language at a 3 so occationaly he can run into a small dialect problem or something. He isn't captain firearm either(an alright shotgun skill).

We have a pretty powerhouse team if we were to face somehting non magically active...but we do have our shortcomings which we try to work around.

I think shortcomings are fun...we laugh a lot with this party because of our lack of stealth(jokes of we might as well just throw a big sheet over us and run around), and real life people have shortcomings...but they can be worked around in time. I find the shortcomings become crippling when the people in the parties are SOOO specialized they become the proverbial one-trick pony. That's when problems start. (A mage that ONLY casts combat spells, an adept that ONLY fights up front and loud and a technomancer that ONLY is any good at anything in VR world might run into some problems, for example.)

Luckily I find that mages have a little advantage...as some of those spells and abilities they can get can make up for certian things.

+Quote Post
Jymerus
post Nov 28 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 8,018

As a member of above group, I made the mage, I have to say that they really are overpowered. They are also a huge departure from our regular types of characters. In our group the standard is usually to make balanced characters that can live in society. This was just an experiment to see how strong we could make the characters.

It turns out that they guys have a few weaknesses (that troll is kinda crazy but he would be kept in the van most of the time and no way would he get near a johnson) but they are fairly mild compared to a standard character. That is the point that Cheops was making. These characters are broken because they are uber-specialized but have very few weaknesses to balance them.

The mage, for example, spends most of his time as an animal during runs and so is never on security footage in a way that is useful to the authorities. And the way that foci work at chargen it makes it really easy to have a lot and go to town. All the mage really does is summon spirits, bind them, and then goes on the run in some animal form (pigeon or dog is always good), has a spirit keep its eyes open astrally, and then infiltrates/supports the group. Then, if things tank, he whips out his direct combat spells and nukes the enemy. Then, for situations where he needs to interact with people he uses that nice physical mask spell to make sure he isn't known. There is not a real live image of this guy's real face. A supreme advantage for a shadowrunner.

You could never get a mage that effective at chargen in SR3 - it was almost impossible due to the way the system worked, the way spells were bought then, and to do anything like this you would need to be severally limited in attributes. This mage spent his full 200 on physical stats and still has magic 6.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Nov 28 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

The mage, for example, spends most of his time as an animal during runs and so is never on security footage in a way that is useful to the authorities.

The fact he's always in animal is useful, then there's the highly individual people he is running with.

Also, unless the team has a habit of making milkruns, there will be magicians who will read his astral "fingerprints" and/or remove his masking, etc.

Apparently your GM isn't making very good uses of astral wards either.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:50 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.