2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Casting Blindfolded
Feshy
post Nov 19 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

Do even blindfolds not stop mage LOS?

I was contemplating the classic archtype, the blind swordsman. If you are making an adept of this type, there are two ways to go in older editions: Blindfighting power, or Astral Perception. Since blindfighting isn't (yet) in SR4, and I was always keen on the "blind man sees into your soul" aspect, I was considering Astral Perception.

A bit later, and I was considering "style." Specifically, I was thinking of the blind swordsman wearing a blindfold, a la Tassedar -- the blind demon hunter from warcraft 3. Obviously, I think, a blindfold won't affect a blind person. Nor his astral sight, which isn't tied to his eyes anyway.

And then it hits me. If that's the case, then a blindfold won't stop a full magician, nor even slow him down. There are no penalties for spellcasting while astrally perceiving. Even the old-edition "mage mask" would just apply penalties. Was this always the case? I admit to not taking many mages alive...

What do I need to stop a mage's LOS, a giant lead bucket? (or perhaps just smaller, but much faster, bits of lead... that's a bit more permanent than I'd like to get. How do insane mages stand trial?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eggs
post Nov 19 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 7,947

IIRC, you can't cast a spell while astrally percieving/projecting.
Anything else I add to this would be in the vein of, "Well, in 3rd Edition..."

+Quote Post
caramel frappucc...
post Nov 19 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,870

You don't recall correctly.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 19 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

IIRC the mage mask was a full hood, and your astral perception is based on/around your eyes. There's the central third eye concept too that I suppose some characters might want to go with.

In-general I'd say that astral perception would be centered on your eyes, although I'd allow them to vary it on a case by case basis but once a character has made their choice it cannot be changed. This might make for some quite interesting concepts too, as the rabbit shaman has its two astral eyes on the side of its head for better all-round vision but worse depth perception (+1/-1 on certain perception tests). What I wouldn't allow woudl be for someone to shift their astral perception to their foot if someone puts a hood on you, and if you have your perception in your foot naturally then you're blind if you're wearing socks/shoes.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 19 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Oh yes, and I suspect larger penalties would apply to doing *anything* normally whilst astrally percieving if your astral sight is from a significantly different POV than your normal vision. Granted, a blind man has no normal PoV, but you get the idea.

Although there is nothing to say that your astral perception must be fixed to your eyes, that's no ground on which to assume it can be anywhere on your body either. You may as well assume you can percieve from the other side of a wall or from a point around the corner as IIRC there's nothing to say it must be fixed to your body.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Nov 19 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

You can cast spells while astrally projecting/perceiving, but you still have to be able to target someone. Anyone who is not astrally active cannot be targeted on the astral plane, so while your blind mage can see people, he can't cast spells at them until they become astrally active.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 20 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

nope, you can cast spells on perfectly normal people using astral precption, as long as they are 'on the same plane' as you.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 20 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)

You (Edit: Hasaku, that is) are incorrect.

A magician in the physical world can only cast spells on targets that are in the physical world. Similarly, a magician in astral space can only cast spells on targets that have an astral form (though the auras of things in the physical world can be seen, auras alone cannot be targeted). An astrally perceiving (or otherwise dual natured) magician can cast spells on a target in either the physical world or in astral space.

And, there are some differences in this edition regarding projecting magicians -- specifically, "manifesting" magicians, who are projecting in astral space and making their presence known on the physical, are now vulnerable to mana spells cast by magicians who are only on the physical plane. As far as I know, this is different than past editions.

This seems to violate the rule as stated above, but, well, there it is. Thankfully, it's a one-way affect... the targeted manifesting magician can't fire back with mana spells. I hope. :/ Still, it's weird.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 20 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

QUOTE (Feshy)
And, there are some differences in this edition regarding projecting magicians -- specifically, "manifesting" magicians, who are projecting in astral space and making their presence known on the physical, are now vulnerable to mana spells cast by magicians who are only on the physical plane. As far as I know, this is different than past editions.

err, wtf is that about?

i want a text quote please :P

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 20 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Well it is an interesting question, what is the point of reception for astral sight. Because a strip of cloth WILL block Astral Preception LOS if it is in the way, whether you are blind physically or not, as it physical plane barriers block astral vision. So if your physical eyes are the point of reception, or on the the line to the point of reception, a blindfold will block the Astral Perception.

I'm trying to remember where there was some mention of a "3rd eye" in past canon. That is usually in RL occult thought of being in the middle of your forehead, though it varies somewhat.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 20 2005, 01:40 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

The quote you're looking for is oddly enough, located under the subheading "Manafesting" that's on p.184. It goes into all the details.

And personally, I don't think it should be one way. If a manifested mage has enough presence on the physical plane to be a valid target for a spell cast from the physical plane, they should also have enough presence to be able to manipulate the mana on the physical plane into spells of their own. The book stipulates that a manifested character can not physically interact with anything, but I don't think spellcasting counts as physically interacting.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Nov 20 2005, 02:13 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

Can you still cast any spell as a touch or are those limited now.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 20 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
The quote you're looking for is oddly enough, located under the subheading "Manafesting" that's on p.184. It goes into all the details.

And personally, I don't think it should be one way. If a manifested mage has enough presence on the physical plane to be a valid target for a spell cast from the physical plane, they should also have enough presence to be able to manipulate the mana on the physical plane into spells of their own. The book stipulates that a manifested character can not physically interact with anything, but I don't think spellcasting counts as physically interacting.

Yea, the one way thing makes no sense... but... think... do you REALLY want mages to be able to pop out of astral space (at 3 passes a turn) as a surprise ambush, lay down some mana balls, and escape back into the ether before a retaliation can be mounted? Yikes!

Then again... astral mages can summon spirits, which can then materialize. But at least you can fight a materialized spirit. A non-mage character has ZERO chance of harming a manifest mage (as per the text, the manifesting mage is immune to damage from physical sources).

Really, I was quite surprised to see this text in there. This is new to Shadowrun, and would seem to have some pretty big possibilities.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 20 2005, 02:23 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
Can you still cast any spell as a touch or are those limited now.

The specific quote for that is this:

Some spells can only be cast on targets that the caster touches—these targets do not need to be seen, but the caster must succeed in an unarmed attack to touch an unwilling target of such a spell.

Gramatically, "these targets" would refer to "targets that the caster touches" -- which would mean any target that the mage touches is valid for any spell. Though, there is enough ambiguity to say that "these targets" refers to "targets of spells that can only be cast on targets the caster touches." This is less gramatically sound, in my opinion, but not outside the realm of possibility. So... ask your GM.

But really, this isn't the constitution or anything, and I hate having to analyze the "original author's intent" to such a detail. I wish that a good number of places in this book where more explicit.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 20 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Feshy)
Yea, the one way thing makes no sense... but... think... do you REALLY want mages to be able to pop out of astral space (at 3 passes a turn) as a surprise ambush, lay down some mana balls, and escape back into the ether before a retaliation can be mounted? Yikes!

Welcome to the Sixth World, Chummer. Magic is power.
:evil:

Then again... astral mages can summon spirits, which can then materialize.
Or they can manifest instead. The book says that many spirits prefer manifesting instead of materializing "if they need to interact with a physical person". However, the very next sentence says that they must materialize to use a power on a target that's solely on the physical plane, so it's not entirely clear what "interactions" they would simply manifest for.

Note that this limit on how a spirit can use its powers strongly supports the "one-way" view of manifesting.

A non-mage character has ZERO chance of harming a manifest mage (as per the text, the manifesting mage is immune to damage from physical sources).
I don't know about you, but I would have been entirely happy if it had simply been "any character not on the astral plane has zero chance of harming a manifest mage." Making them vulnerable to mana based effects cast from the physical plane raises too many ugly questions.

+Quote Post
BGMFH
post Nov 20 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,018

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Or they can manifest instead. The book says that many spirits prefer manifesting instead of materializing "if they need to interact with a physical person". However, the very next sentence says that they must materialize to use a power on a target that's solely on the physical plane, so it's not entirely clear what "interactions" they would simply manifest for.

Talk Threaten Intimidate Point the Way

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 20 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (BGMFH)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
so it's not entirely clear what "interactions" they would simply manifest for.

Those would be the obvious choices, yes.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 20 2005, 03:01 AM
Post #18

Dragon

QUOTE (BGMFH)
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)

Get a closer look (avoid astral->physical perception penalties, can see detail).

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 20 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

I guess the question is, would those "interactions" be worth it to the spirit to risk being targeted by a spellcaster on the physical plane, a spellcaster that the spirit would be unable to reciprocate against without switching from manifesting to materializing?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 20 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #20

Dragon

QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Nov 19 2005, 09:14 PM)
I guess the question is, would those "interactions" be worth it to the spirit to risk being targeted by a spellcaster on the physical plane, a spellcaster that the spirit would be unable to reciprocate against without switching from manifesting to materializing?

Vs. a mage tossing Mana spells? Can't see it. It's more protection vs. Adepts that are unable to go dual, mundanes with big freakin' weapons, mages that don't Banish and only have attack spells that are Physical, and from physical environments that are "unhealthy" for the spirit such as on the docks for a fire element.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Nov 21 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 19 2005, 05:17 PM)

A magician in the physical world can only cast spells on targets that are in the physical world. Similarly, a magician in astral space can only cast spells on targets that have an astral form (though the auras of things in the physical world can be seen, auras alone cannot be targeted). An astrally perceiving (or otherwise dual natured) magician can cast spells on a target in either the physical world or in astral space.

He can cast spells on targets in any plane because he can see targets in any plane. The rules assume all characters are sighted, and that paragraph was obviously not written with blind people in mind. It's a general case, blind mages being an exception.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 21 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

QUOTE (Hasaku)
QUOTE (Feshy @ Nov 19 2005, 05:17 PM)

He can cast spells on targets in any plane because he can see targets in any plane. The rules assume all characters are sighted, and that paragraph was obviously not written with blind people in mind. It's a general case, blind mages being an exception.

I disagree. He can cast at targets on either plane because, while astrally perceiving he's dual natured, and therefore exists on both planes.

If astrally projecting mage manifests, he is visible on the physical plane, but still only 'exists' on the astral plane. He can't target physical-only stuff (mundanes, street sams, drones,...), and mages that are not astrally percieving can't target him. As soon as the physical mage starts astrally percieving, he exists on the astral, as well as physical planes, and both mages can target one another.

Just my opinion, but interested in hearing arguments against.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Nov 21 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Here's one off the top of my head. Would you allow a blind mage, not astrally perceiving, to cast Manabolt at a mundane whose presence he is aware of through hearing?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Nov 21 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Apathy)
If astrally projecting mage manifests, he is visible on the physical plane, but still only 'exists' on the astral plane. He can't target physical-only stuff (mundanes, street sams, drones,...), and mages that are not astrally percieving can't target him.

Then how do you explain "Manifesting characters and spirits, however, are vulnerable to mana-based magical effects on the physical plane." (p.184, SR4)

The "on the physical plane" says to me that if you're on the phyiscal plane and want to cast a mana spell at a manafested being, you don't have to do anything extra special like turning on astral perception.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Nov 21 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

QUOTE (Hasaku @ Nov 21 2005, 06:27 PM)
Here's one off the top of my head. Would you allow a blind mage, not astrally perceiving, to cast Manabolt at a mundane whose presence he is aware of through hearing?

Not sure if you were asking me, or someone else.

I would not allow a blind(or blind-folded, or eyes-closed, or in absolute darkness without vision enhancements, etc.) mage to cast a LOS spell of any type, unless he was astrally percieving. So if you're a blind mystic adept who didn't buy astral perception, you're restricted to touch-range spells.

[Edit] Just had an interesting thought... I guess the only way the guy above could effect people he couldn't see, and wasn't touching, would be to have an elemental area-effect touch-range spell. So I touch the ground and cast Toxic Wave, flooding a [magic rating] radius area with Acid, which would then damage me at the same time as everyone else in range.

Boy, that's sucky...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.