Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PhyAdepts and ally spirits
Straight Razor
post Nov 22 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,761

OK so if i had a PhyAdept that when Way of the Magican, could i get an ally spirit.
I'd say yes.

Here is the real question. Could i make an ally spirit with power points and give it adept powers?

And a tangent question.
by the rules it says that a power folci adds it force to you magic rateing. So could an PhyAdept starting magic 6 +(force 3 power folci) = magic (9). Start the game with 9 power points to but adept powers with?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 22 2005, 05:53 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Straight Razor)
OK so if i had a PhyAdept that when Way of the Magican, could i get an ally spirit.
I'd say yes.

Sure. Anyone with the ability to use Conjuring could summon an Ally Spirit.

Here is the real question.  Could i make an ally spirit with power points and give it adept powers?

Not by any canon rules.

And a tangent question.
by the rules it says that a power folci adds it force to you magic rateing.  So could an PhyAdept starting magic 6 +(force 3 power folci) = magic (9).  Start the game with 9 power points to but adept powers with?

A straight Adept can not use a Power Focus. A Magician's Way Adept could use one, but not the way you describe. A Power Focus will never grant additional Powers to an Adept.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Nov 22 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Actually, an adept can bond a power focus. It is one of the few types of foci that apdepts can use. However, it still doesn't provide a power point. It would, be useful for offsetting power loss due to magic loss.

+Quote Post
TheNarrator
post Nov 22 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,631

Adepts have their own kind of foci that grants extra powers/power points. I'm not sure, but I think it's in SOTA 64.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 22 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #5

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Well, two actually. On page 68.

The Adept Focus is a type of power focus. It adds to your Magic attribute for tests, but doesn't add power points for more powers.

The Infusion focus adds more powers at Force = (point cost * 2) but doesn't increase your effective Magic level.

+Quote Post
The Stainless St...
post Nov 22 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,414

OK, here's the real question in my mind...

When summoning an Ally Spirit you have to give up a point of magic - would this adept be forced to give up one of his power points dedicated to Magic Power? If so, better make sure you've got at least 2 points of MP when you create your ally, or else you lose your ability to conjure the instant you're done with the summoning. That would create a whole host of problems.

+Quote Post
Gerald Fitzgeral...
post Nov 22 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 7,977

IIRC, a PhysAd can't make a power focus, meaning you're going to have to pay a mage or enchanter to make it for you. That's a lot of time, nuyen and karma and mages can be busy people.

Then it doesn't add to your magic rating.

Yes, if you conjur an ally spirit, you have to give up a point of magic and, yes, if you have 1 or 2 points of magic when you conjur it, you run a high risk of going burn out.

I guess my question is... WTF are you doing with 1 or 2 points of magic? And if you're a PhysAd with 1 or 2 points of magic, WTF are you doing dicking around with an ally spirit? You need to go get more magic points, son! Spend that Karma on an initiate grade or something!

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 22 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat @ Nov 22 2005, 12:17 PM)
OK, here's the real question in my mind...

When summoning an Ally Spirit you have to give up a point of magic - would this adept be forced to give up one of his power points dedicated to Magic Power? If so, better make sure you've got at least 2 points of MP when you create your ally, or else you lose your ability to conjure the instant you're done with the summoning. That would create a whole host of problems.

Not if it's done as a Familiar Ordeal.

Gerald, anyone can Enchant if they are magically active.

BTW, since no one else bothered to:
QUOTE (MitS @ 24)

Magician adepts may bond and use all foci. The additional
Magic Attribute Points a character gains from using a power
focus only enhance the magician adept's effective Magic
Attribute for using Magical Skills, not his or her other adept
powers. The focus does not provide additional Power Points.

+Quote Post
Gerald Fitzgeral...
post Nov 22 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #9

Target

Gerald, anyone can Enchant if they are magically active.

Sorry; I couldn't remember correctly on that one.

What I was thinking of were spell locks, etc... A PhysAd can't make a spell lock because they don't know the spell in the first place.

Doesn't that limit a physAs to power foci and weapon foci?

+Quote Post
The Stainless St...
post Nov 23 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE (Gerald Fitzgerald)
I guess my question is... WTF are you doing with 1 or 2 points of magic?  And if you're a PhysAd with 1 or 2 points of magic, WTF are you doing dicking around with an ally spirit?  You need to go get more magic points, son!  Spend that Karma on an initiate grade or something!

Um, let me try to rephrase that then.

Physical Adepts have a Magic Attribute.

For each Point in their Magic Attribute, they get one Power Point.

Magician's Way Adepts are allowed to spend these Power Points on an Adept Power called "Magical Power", allowing them access to Sorcery and Conjuring.

They use these skills as though the number of Power Points they have allocated to Magical Power was in fact their Magic Attribute.

Under the description of the Adept Power called "Magical Power", it states that if you ever lose magic for any reason then the Power Point tied to Magical Power must be sacrificed first.

Logic would dictate then that the point of your Magic Attribute you have to pay for an Ally Spirit would cost you one point of Magical Power, and if you only had one point of Magical Power at that time, you lose your ability to use Sorcery or Conjuring. This will render it expensive to give your ally Karma, and also make it much more difficult to control.

Good Point about the Familiar Ordeal SL James...

+Quote Post
Gerald Fitzgeral...
post Nov 23 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #11

Target

Ah, it all makes many more much sense now.

Seems like you're pretty much SOL unless you just house-rule around it.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 23 2005, 01:41 AM
Post #12

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Normal physical-style Adepts can only use Weapon, Centering, Adept or Infusion Foci.

Magician Adepts can use any foci - power, spirit, spell, sustaining, and the four above, plus whatever else there are that don't come immediately to mind since I don't particularly like foci (or geasa, for that matter).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.