IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest, prizes even!
tisoz
post Nov 23 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #1

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Announcing The First tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest.

Submission guidelines:
* SR setting - not the impossible by SR rules
* Pre 2065
* Multiple entries accepted - though I have plans for 2 more contests with more specific topics, and plan to do this a few times if there is much enthusiasm.
* Length - long enough to tell the story, short enough to withstand ADD
* Deadline - December 31, 2005 There was some initial complaint about this being a busy time of year, so the deadline was moved to Wednesday, January 25, 2006 Friday, January 27, 2006.
* Format - txt, doc, pdf, rtf, wps, lit - if you have to use another, tell me how to open it. If I can't open it, I can't read it and you limit your chances of winning.
* Send to: tisoz80@aol.com
* Please include within the submission a Title, and an email address to contact you. You may want to include your name or Dumpshock handle within also, but it is optional.

A word of advice: I would like to see fresh fiction. If it was posted somewhere already there is a chance I saw it, which may hurt your prospects for winning.

The prizes. I'll be letting the winner(s) choose from a group of older SR RPG books. Hopefully the quality of the submissions will induce me to include some rare titles in the pool. The Winner(s) will be responsible for shipping costs. (This way I won't limit contestants to the US.) Just actual shipping cost, not handling or packaging fees.

The First tisoz Shadowrun Fiction Contest.
Stuffer Shack Stocking Stuffers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 23 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Cool, that's a really nice innitiative tisoz!

It's Horribly Busy Season for me right now, but if I find the time I'll try to submit something!

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Nov 23 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Free Spirit

Does everyone want another deadline? Or other changes?

I asked for suggestions and didn't get any. It's not carved in stone as long as the edit button works.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Nov 23 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

although i dont know if i'll write anything, i'd say mid-late january would make a better deadline.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 23 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #5

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

If someone can't spit a story out in five and a half weeks, are they really working on "short fiction" anymore?

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Nov 23 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,029

The last short story I wrote for Shadowrun ran about twelve pages and I'd be hard-pressed to write that much now, what with the holidays coming. Some people also have children, final exams, travel plans, etc. I'd suggest January 31st.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 23 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Critias)
If someone can't spit a story out in fine and a half weeks, are they really working on "short fiction" anymore?

Spoken like someone without writer's block :P

~J

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 23 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

If I get two months to write, what's the, hypothetically speaking, maximum number of stories I can submit to this thing?

EDIT - and I get writer's block. I just get it for one genre at a time. I've been on a Warmachine (fantasy, plus steamjacks) kick for several months, though, and I'm beginning to think I'm all dried up in that genre, for the moment. Some good old Shadowrun fiction might be just what I need to jar things loose (until I get tired of Shadowrun/Cyperpunk, and go back to Warmachine stories, then back to Shadowrun, etc, etc, etc).

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Nov 23 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I'm in. But with 4 kids and the holidays coming on fast I wold prefer mid-January as a deadline.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Nov 23 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #10

Free Spirit

Ok, now that we have some feedback...

How about Wednesday, January 25, 2006?

Hypothetical maximum number of submissions? I would rather see one great story than 144 mediocre ones. There are going to be more contests if this goes well, so polish them and submit them later.

In the interim, for those that have time, here is one of the other ideas I had for a contest tied to the season.

*Deadline is going to be December 21st.

*Prize will be a selection from some of the more readily available modules.

Topic: write a Food Fight type story set between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Many of us, if not all of us are familiar with the scenario, and the holiday flavor should be an early present under everyone's tree.

*See note about S&H in first post

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 23 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #11

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Hmmmmmm....

That sounds interesting...

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Nov 24 2005, 02:51 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

No promises, but I will try.

+Quote Post
Perssek
post Nov 24 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,968

Count me on, too! I already have 3 to 5 short fiction in SR, placed around 2050, and all I need to do is translate it into *good* english (portuguese is my native language). Let´s see what I can do in the time given. Oh, and expect my food fight story to be there too - there´s one - no, wait: make that three possibilities burning right now in the back of my brain.

What greed does to a man´s imagination, huh? And all that for some useless old books...

[SLAP]myself for saying silly stuff[/SLAP]

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 24 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #14

Freelance Elf

So, just to double check, here -- the only guy who gets to read all these is Tisoz (the lucky bastich)?

Or are you planning on starting up a thread once you start getting stories, and posting them for general public consumption with some sort of score (or just a quick edit-job as needed, or whatever), or opinion, or...?

'Cause I'd like for my writing to be made available to more than just one person. People seem to have enjoyed my stuff in the past, and I love to get feedback (positive or negative, as needed).

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Nov 24 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Critias)
If someone can't spit a story out in five and a half weeks, are they really working on "short fiction" anymore?

Five and a half weeks is just about enough time to recover from what I'm currently writing. I'm in the midst of the last-week-of-NaNoWriMo scramble, and 10,000 words behind the curve.

Mid-January would be good. I'm not doing it with a December deadline. I like a break between my frantic scrambles to finish a story in time. (Though after NaNoWriMo, a short story in a month is a casual stroll in the park.)

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Nov 25 2005, 07:15 AM
Post #16

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Critias)
So, just to double check, here -- the only guy who gets to read all these is Tisoz (the lucky bastich)?

Or are you planning on starting up a thread once you start getting stories, and posting them for general public consumption with some sort of score (or just a quick edit-job as needed, or whatever), or opinion, or...?

'Cause I'd like for my writing to be made available to more than just one person. People seem to have enjoyed my stuff in the past, and I love to get feedback (positive or negative, as needed).

I know I was not real clear but
QUOTE (tisoz)
the holiday flavor should be an early present under everyone's tree.

I plan to share with everyone. I am thinking about starting a site to host all the stories, or maybe someone with a site would like to volunteer to host them.

I am also debating sharing judging duties. I like control and have a little distrust of someone with a lot of friends having those friends tilt the judging. I might let folks nominate the finalists, then I (and anyone else who would like to volunteer prizes) can pick the winner(s).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 25 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (tisoz)
or maybe someone with a site would like to volunteer to host them.

j0.

~J

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Nov 25 2005, 01:14 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Winterhawk and Shapcano have both hosted and judged contests, perhaps they could assist in this endeavor.

:sleepy: :P :) :D :rotfl: :talker: :twirl:

+Quote Post
Shadowrunner13
post Nov 25 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 163

I'll see if I can come up with something for the contest...

No promises though... :)

SR13

+Quote Post
dog_xinu
post Nov 25 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,091

QUOTE (tisoz)
I plan to share with everyone. I am thinking about starting a site to host all the stories, or maybe someone with a site would like to volunteer to host them.

If you still need a sight I can set one up at my webhosting server. I dont think people reading these stories will put me over my bandwith limit.

Just let me know.

dx

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Nov 30 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #21

Free Spirit

A whole week and not a single submission. :(

On hosting, I looked at starting a Yahoo group. Also, is anyone against the idea of letting all the volunteers host them simultaneously?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 30 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

I've got a few ready to go, but thought I'd get the Food Fight one polished off before sending you anything (and, naturally, it's the Food Fight one that I'm having trouble coming up with anything good for).

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Dec 2 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

i'm working on it tiz, actually refining the food fight one and another for the general contest

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Dec 9 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #24

Free Spirit

Week 2 - Submissions 0

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Dec 9 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

i'm working on it tis, putting it in my comp and tweaking the story....

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:05 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.