IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who would you side with, If the drek was raining down.
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 24 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,445

Okay, so here's the deal. I just got done reading YotC, and this occured to me.

Assume the total drek is coming down. Everyone's gearing up to go at the throats of everyone, chaos in the streets. Danger, excitement, misery, bullets flying and spells frying.

Who do you side with? What 'power' if you will, do you choose to align yourself with?

Stop for a moment. This is a 'moral' excercize. Assume all offers are equally lucrative; to Joe Great Dragon (if there is such a thing,) and Mr. Megacorp, you are a small fry, and not worth all that much, whereas to Humanis Policlub or something of their size, you're big-time, and they pay you what you're worth. (Which is, incidentally, small-fry pay to Mr. Megacorp or Joe Great Dragon.) All offers have an equal chance of surviving the mess; The UCAS is going to tango with people it can tango with, Great Dragons will dance with megacorps and other great dragons, Humanis Policlub and people of their size will be dancing with mafia and other similarly sized and strengthed organizations. You have as much chance of survival siding with any contender in their 'weight class,' and you don't have to worry about inter-weight-class competition.

Who do you side with? Use any and all metagame knowledge at your disposal. Who will let you sleep best at night (or in some cases, sleep 'least poorly' at night,) if you choose to side with them? Not taking a side is not an option, because if you don't pick a side while you can, you're either going to get caught in the crossfire, or pressed into service. And yes, all sides are equally willing to take you on; Ghostwalker is as interested in having you onboard his operation as Stuffer Shack is. (And no, nobody will be deciding to 'extract' you to work for them if you choose 'wrong.')
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 24 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

So character dependant, but typically whoever my closest, most reliable contact is will be the one i'll want to go with. Of course it's a team decision....unless i'm going to dump them for a nice shiny car and 30 pieces of silver. :evil: Oooo shiiiiny!

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Nov 24 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

1) The UCAS, because unlike a corporation, at least a government has to answer to its citizens at some point.

2) The DIMR, 'cause they do really interesting work and have some basic ethical framework governing their actions.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Nov 24 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

Well, since you took out my usual choice of determination, best healthcare (read: run least likely to end me in a pine box or damp ditch), go with the weakest group. Then at least if you find you've backed the wrong party, you can get out without the customary fitting for plasticrete footwear or the 3am call from a fire elemental on remote service.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 25 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #5

Horror

Heh. The pic that me and one of my friends (independantly) came up with was the Draco Foundation. We pretty much pegged Big D as being the closest thing to a real good guy the 6th world has to offer, and since you can't pledge alliegence to someone who's dead (kind of hard to get orders and paychecks, doncha know,) the Draco Foundation is the next best thing.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 25 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Humanis, 'cause I hates me some metahuman scum.

~J

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 25 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #7

Horror

At least you're sticking to your principles.

Of course, so will I be when I put out a hit on you for it...

+Quote Post
Drace
post Nov 25 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,936

I would choose either the Anarchists, A pro-meta group (Think Ghoul Liberation or MOM) or an Anti-corp group, I've always had a soft spot for the Underdogs.

plus the anarchists drawing from LA were really damn impressive, they have my first vote over the pro-metas for that.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Nov 25 2005, 01:49 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Well, my street samurai Katklaw would go and hunt down the gang he's got grudge against, then he'd probably go offer physical security to the Seattle Shadowland node, if they'd take him.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 25 2005, 01:50 AM
Post #10

Horror

QUOTE (nick012000)
Well, my street samurai Katklaw would go and hunt down the gang he's got grudge against, then he'd probably go offer physical security to the Seattle Shadowland node, if they'd take him.

Siding with Captain Chaos? An interesting choice. I can certainly say it's better than most options out there. (*coughHumaniscough*)

+Quote Post
Drac
post Nov 25 2005, 03:02 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,819

If I'm feeling like a "bad" guy, the Ordo Maximus. Now that's some good magical-vampirism.
If on the other hand I'm feeling like a "not-bad" guy, then the Draco Foundation.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 25 2005, 04:24 AM
Post #12

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Myself. My characters are Shadowrunners, not company men. "Affiliation" is just another word for "sellout."

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 25 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

My last character... I would have sided also with something similar to the Humanis. Well, more like to the organizations that were trying to rejoin the UCAS and CAS back into one country (See Threats 2). Gawd, I loved that one particular group.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 25 2005, 05:26 AM
Post #14

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

First, if it's just turning '61, go buy me some stock in Wuxing and Debeers-Omnitech. Gonna git me some div-i-dends. yup yup

Follow that up w/ some stock buys of Transy and/or Erika. That's gonna pay off in the future.

Then use the excess proceeds to run guns down to the Yucatan, and hunt me up some blood mages in all the chaos. Good times, good times.

+Quote Post
brohopcp
post Nov 25 2005, 06:35 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,770

UB, it's always been and always will. They're my family :)

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 25 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #16

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Align?

I pit them all against each other and walk away from the burning embers.

Kind of like what's happening to my main NPC who, post-Crash ('64), is in the middle of a turf war involving actors from multiple New Revolution factions, a couple of new regimes, one that survived, a government-in-exile, some megacorp execs, a runner who wants to rescue her and a couple who want to kill her (She was a Ms. J). You don't survive that by picking sides.

This idea that not picking sides is not an option is ludicrous. Shadowrunners' very existence is not to pick sides. The ones who do are called Company Men.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 25 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #17

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Exactly. Shadowrunners don't "align" when the big boys go to out and out war. They lay low, and wait to pick up the pieces. Before a big clash, Shadowrunners do the dirty work and the low-key, secretive ops. During the smackdown, a corporation/nation's own forces handle the tanks and air support and blood in the streets. Maybe after, during mop-up, Shadowrunners get called in again (for some post cease-fire "accidents" and hunting people down, dealing with that sort of thing).

I don't see professional criminals getting directly involved in the war itself, though. They sit tight and wait for that shit to settle down, nine times out of ten (in a standard campaign) -- they don't "pick a side."

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Nov 25 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

QUOTE (Velocity)
1) The UCAS, because unlike a corporation, at least a government has to answer to its citizens at some point.

*rotfl* :rotfl: You are a true believer, aren't you? Right, governments have to answer to their citizens. But they are really good at passing only selected information to the citizens to avoid the wrong questions being asked.

I would side with the Draco Foundation, with Hestaby or with Harlequin.

Both, DF and Hestaby, have goals that are morally acceptable.

However, working with Harlequin promises to be much more interesting and entertaining. It is a great feeling standing besides a man who fragged Queen Alachia... :love: Possibly he can get me in contact... 8)

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 25 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #19

Uncle Fisty

Alachia is a BIOTCH!

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Nov 25 2005, 07:35 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

My Earthdawn character, an extremely charismatic (near charisma 30 when using thread-items) Blood Elve Nethermancer seduced her once. At least that's the way he saw it. ;)

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 25 2005, 07:49 AM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

If you've read 'The Longing Ring' , she seduces J'role for information. He's like a 17 year old human kid at the time. You might want to have your character visit a questor of Garlen to make sure he didn't catch anything from her.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Nov 25 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #22

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 25 2005, 01:24 AM)
QUOTE (Velocity @ Nov 24 2005, 11:14 PM)

*rotfl* :rotfl: You are a true believer, aren't you? Right, governments have to answer to their citizens. But they are really good at passing only selected information to the citizens to avoid the wrong questions being asked.

I would side with the Draco Foundation, with Hestaby or with Harlequin.

Both, DF and Hestaby, have goals that are morally acceptable.

*blink*

Am I the only one who sees an embarassing amount of hypocrisy?

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Nov 25 2005, 07:53 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Most circle 13 Nethermancers do not need questors of Garlen to do a simple health check, don't you think? ;)

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Nov 25 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #24

Uncle Fisty

Questor could fix it.. nethermancer would just cut it off and replace it.

blood elf procreation must be messy.....

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 25 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,665

Ghoul Liberation Front. Their message is simple and easy to get behind:

1. Stop killing people because they are different from you.
2. Stop eating people who aren't dead yet.

I support that platform 100%, and I'm willing to kill and eat people for it.

-Frank

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.