Reply to this topicStart new topic
> movement rates, what happened?
6thDragon
post Nov 28 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,605

Has anyone else noticed the movement rates are now much faster. In SR3, an average person (quickness of 3) could run 9 meters in 3 seconds without much effort (not adding athletics to increase their rate), now every human, elf, and ork, runs at 25 meters in 3 seconds. My group was playing the other week, for the first time. We were at a part where the group broke into combat at close range. Now my group uses miniatures to identify where each character and NPC is during the encounter. We were all left scratching our heads and had to say, "Ok if you're running pretty much just place your character anywhere you want." This is especially true if you only have one or two actions. You start to slow down a bit if you have three or four, but not by that much. In SR3 even a character with maxed out natural quickness at 6 would still be moving slower than average character in SR4. Has anyone encountered this or am I missing something here? Otherwise, I feel a houserule coming on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Nov 28 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

And what is up with troll movement rates? in SR2, they moved slower than normal, at the same speed of dwarves. In SR3, they moved at the same rate as a human, and now in SR4, they not only have a higher movement than everyone lese, but their higher strength means that they'll also have more dice on a running check to increase that!

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Nov 28 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Evolution though natural selection - brough to you by HPC? :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Nov 28 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I used to consider it a properly-balanced blessing that most folks could at least (have a chance to) run away from a melee-dominating troll. Far from the case now.

+Quote Post
jervinator
post Nov 29 2005, 01:52 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,682

Personally, while I though slow trolls were good from a game-balance standpont, they weren't that realistic. I mean, they got longer legs and similar strength/weight ratios, so logically they would be as fast as humans, if not moreso. I mean, NBA players aren't slower than normal-height people. If bigger = slower, then how do horses run so fast?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 29 2005, 01:58 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Azralon)
I used to consider it a properly-balanced blessing that most folks could at least (have a chance to) run away from a melee-dominating troll. Far from the case now.

Remember, you don't have to run faster than the Troll. Just faster than your team's Dwarf. ;)

+Quote Post
Valatar
post Nov 29 2005, 05:45 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 7,871

Trolls are pushing nine feet tall, their speed only makes sense given their huge stride distance compared to a human. A good human runner should be able to outpace an average troll, but all else being equal the longer legs will win, especially since the longer legs are paired with great strength. Trolls are less nimble than the smaller metas, but raw land speed doesn't require precision so much as power and endurance, and trolls have those in spades.

That aside, yes, I did notice that everyone in SR4 seems to have a prodigious movement speed. Seems a bit excessive for three-second rounds.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 29 2005, 06:09 AM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

That's why you shoot them in the knee then start running.

+Quote Post
caramel frappucc...
post Nov 29 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,870

Or just shoot them in the face and not waste the effort.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Nov 29 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

aye for a race that got a reach advantage in combat, for them to run the same speed as a human made no sense.

+Quote Post
Dranem
post Nov 29 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 7,975

Note, that the land speed for Metas are for an unencumbered person... I don't know many people who do a Run in just jogging shorts.
While I can pull off a 25m dash in one round on a good day, add a backpack, kevlar/armored clothes and some other gear, and that should slow you down a bit.

Another note: While the trolls don't move any slower, try taking the sudden angled turn to chase someone when you've got longer legs at full sprint... you'll find out quickly how the bigger guy will often overshoot his target on a charge if the target suddenly darts out of reach.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 29 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #12

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

the speeds given are for cover to cover sprints right?
not for over land endurance runs?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 29 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #13

Freelance Elf

QUOTE (Dranem)
Another note: While the trolls don't move any slower, try taking the sudden angled turn to chase someone when you've got longer legs at full sprint... you'll find out quickly how the bigger guy will often overshoot his target on a charge if the target suddenly darts out of reach.

Not in-game, they don't.

+Quote Post
Valentinew
post Nov 29 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,922

QUOTE (Dranem)
Note, that the land speed for ....

Why am I suddenly struck by the image of someone running along clacking coconuts together?

+Quote Post
Magus
post Nov 29 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

But what is the average speed of an unladden AFRICAN swallow?

+Quote Post
starman77
post Nov 29 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 5,762

has any one noticed that any human can do a 8-minute mile w/o breaking a sweat?

ie: 10m / 3 sec = 200m minute = 1,600m in 8 minutes = 5,249.6 ft/8min.

even a person with a 1 body and can do it for hours on end.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 29 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (starman77)
has any one noticed that any human can do a 8-minute mile w/o breaking a sweat?

ie: 10m / 3 sec = 200m minute = 1,600m in 8 minutes = 5,249.6 ft/8min.

even a person with a 1 body and can do it for hours on end.

Perhaps that soyfood everybody is eating is really nutricious?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

bah. all that work i put into a movement mechanism that gave (more) realistic movement rates, for nothing. i thought some had said they'd taken that idea. guess not.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 29 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #19

Dragon

An 8 minute miles isn't that big a thing for someone in some sort of respectable shape, if they aren't carrying a lot of gear. The lack of differentiation between Body and the lack of lack of granularity in carrying load rules are the only real issue there. SR simply doesn't have extended distance rules because it is relatively rare to be doing overland marches.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yeah. doing an 8-minute mile is more a matter of endurance than the raw ability to move at a certain speed. just about anybody can move at a mile-per-8-minutes rate; the question is whether or not they can maintain that rate for the full 8 minutes.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 29 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #21

Freelance Elf

*looks around the internet forum full of role playing gamers*

*listens to crickets chirp*

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Nov 29 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 29 2005, 01:31 PM)
yeah. doing an 8-minute mile is more a matter of endurance than the raw ability to move at a certain speed. just about anybody can move at a mile-per-8-minutes rate; the question is whether or not they can maintain that rate for the full 8 minutes.

Those are in combat movement rates. If you can't mantain an 8 minute mile for at least a minute (and you have all your limbs in working order) you should probably doing something about correcting that. That covers off 20 combat turns, and up to 80 chances for someone to put a full auto burst and/or Stunbolt between your sholder blades. How often have you seen SR combat last that many turns?

There simply are no out of combat rates, largely because in SR it is either very rare that is non-trivial at what speed you are traveling or you got in a car/truck/boat/plane/snowmobile well before the minute was up.

EDIT: It of course doesn't stop you from posting what you'd think it should match up with for Str, Body, gear carried, etc. for those rare cases. *shrug*

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Nov 29 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

The sprinting speed of characters in Shadowrun - 30 kilometers per hour - is also no big deal. That's a 12 second hudred meter dash, and nowhere near olympian. When people start having a running skill however, things get a little crazy. It only takes a strength and running of 4 to beat a 9 second 100 meter dash if you spend Edge every turn. And that's a world record.

Although even then, I don't really care. Characters being able to slightly beat a world record beats the old system where I could personally hike faster than many characters could sprint.

-Frank

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Dec 2 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

In older editions, Trolls had shorter legs than an approprately scale adjusted human. That accounted for their lower movement speeds.

It's not the ruling that amuses me as much as the Consistent CHANGE. Trolls ahve gone from being turtles to being race horses without so much as a sideways glance.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Dec 3 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Actually, trolls had a movement multiplier of x3 in SR3, and x2 in SR1 and SR2. So apparently their increasing movement rate is part of the general awakening . the higher the level of mana rises, the faster a troll can run. Just wait til the mana levels peak... :grinbig:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.