IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smartlink system, How to create a full smartlink system??
hieleke
post Sep 30 2003, 04:40 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,664

Exactly what components are needed to have a completely working smartlink system? As I read both the SR3 rulebook and the M&M book, there are different opinions. According to the M&M there are way more improvements needed (summing up to a total of 1 full essence point) than according to the SR3 rulebook. So which book is correct and what improvements are needed??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Sep 30 2003, 04:48 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

You don't need anything but the Smartlink cyberware to have a smartlink. M&M says you can make the smartlink cyberware cheaper by using existing cyberware within yourself. For example, if you have an Image Link, you can save 0.1 essence since you don't need to have the retinal mods done to your eye. It's not in addition to the smartlink cyberware.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
hieleke
post Sep 30 2003, 05:02 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 5,664

But is having just the smartlink enough to take the full advantage of the system?

And then why would you need a simrig (or limited simsense rig), a processor and an image link?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 30 2003, 05:21 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Keep in mind, this is all fictional.

So far as I know they have not given rationalization for each bit of gear and what role it serves in the whole makeup.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Drain Brain
post Sep 30 2003, 05:24 PM
Post #5

The Sewer Jockey

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,197

Bear in mind that I don't have the books with me...

The Smartlink that you can buy from the core rules - 0.5 essence, 2500:nuyen: or whatever - consists of a number of subsystems - these are things like the induction pad (that actually touches the gun) the wiring, the processor and the bit that modifies your eye so you can see a crosshair.

Now... if you go to get a smartlink but you already have an image link, for instance, they can skip the eye modifications and just tie the smartlink into your Image Link instead. Same effect, but not so much messing around inside your head. That being the case, it means you pay less essence.

The same goes for the other bits and pieces, but as I said, I dont' have the books with me.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Sep 30 2003, 05:30 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

QUOTE (hieleke @ Sep 30 2003, 07:02 PM)
But is having just the smartlink enough to take the full advantage of the system?

And then why would you need a simrig (or limited simsense rig), a processor and an image link?

Why you would need those is purely for other uses. I use Image Link for seeing uploads from datajacks, as well as to see my GPS maps from my wrist computer. (See Image Link under available Cyberware for your eyes)

Simsense is controversial really... however our interpretation of it is that the Vehicle Control Rig Cyberware is a limited simsense, so if you have it your smartlink is already 0.1 essence cheaper. Same holds true for Skillswires and Simrigs in our games. I -think- that's Canon, but I recall it being controversial.

As for the ballistic processor, well, there's one thing that's only good for a Smartlink, at least as far as what's currently available "by-the-book". So, no, no need to ever buy one of these solo.

Sphynx

[Edit]BTW: Look up the Simrig cyberware in the core book to see why someone would want just a Simrig.[/Edit]

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Sep 30 2003, 05:55 PM
Post #7

Mostly Harmless

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 176

Here's my take on the issue.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Sep 30 2003, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

i just want to say (again i think) that the site deign and layout on rayguns site rocks

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Sep 30 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

I think the limited Simrig is so that the whole system knows where the gun is pointed. Without some kind of simrig in place it would be impossible to determine where the shooter's arm and body were, relative to the gun or even the floor, which seems very important for determining any kind of ballistics anything. However the above posters are correct, and Rayguns take is pretty much the norm on the "why" end from what Ive encountered.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.