IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perfered SR3 chargen, Sort of a final verdict
Which character generation system do you prefer?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 108
Guests cannot vote 
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 1 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

So, yeah, which one do you like the most, use the most, or like to defend most ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Stainless St...
post Dec 1 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414

I use the points system almost exclusively, but on the rare occasion we play a high powered magical campaign I use Becks so Karma can be used on Foci, Spirits, Initiation, etc. at chargen.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 1 2005, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Points, baby. Every time.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Dec 1 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #4

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Points, rulez. Crap I agree with critias!! Thats hardly normal

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Dec 1 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

I voted other - build your character how you envision it, and get GM approval.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Dec 1 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

I voted for points.

Priority lacks flexibility, especially when you consider how character generation options have grown due to all the available supplements. On the downside, point buy makes it easier to twink and min-max, but I think it's worth the trade off.

+Quote Post
The Stainless St...
post Dec 1 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Yeah, flexibility = opportunity for abuse

GM approval is always required.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 1 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (mmu1)
Priority lacks flexibility, especially when you consider how character generation options have grown due to all the available supplements. On the downside, point buy makes it easier to twink and min-max, but I think it's worth the trade off.

That's a tradeoff? :D

~J

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Dec 1 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Points. Variable and in the "core" books. Meaning I own it, of course.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Dec 1 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Dec 1 2005, 12:17 PM)

That's a tradeoff? :D

~J

Spoken like someone who plays a rigger. :P

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 1 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

There are some builds that come out better using Sum-to-10 than they do Points. The real mini-maxer makes the same character using all possible methods and keeps the one that comes out with the best stats.

+Quote Post
The Stainless St...
post Dec 1 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The real mini-maxer makes the same character using all possible methods and keeps the one that comes out with the best stats.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 1 2005, 09:40 PM
Post #13

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
Yeah, flexibility = opportunity for abuse

GM approval is always required.

True for some. I have some pretty extreme min-maxers in my group who sometimes scoff at my characters with only 2d6 initiative, no Expertise edge, No unarmed Combat 8 skill with 4 maneuvers (OK, KK has Kung Fu at 8 but she is also a 200+ Karma Adept now), and not packing a Panther Assault Cannon. or Force 6 Powerball with a Power Focus 4. I also love it when my Leela, Lana Lane, or Violet is the one who pulls the team's fat out of the fire. But I digress...

Being an old Champions (another game that stressed character concept) junkie though I found the build point system to allow for a lot more variation while still remaining fairly simple. For some characters I have even used skill BPs to purchase additional Knowledge & language skills, something the Priority system does not accommodate.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Dec 1 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

I prefer BECKS, but then I also have the time to sit at work and crunch out a character. It allows for even more min maxing than points, but it also lets you put together more of a generalist.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Dec 1 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #15

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I prefer the point-based system as it is very flexible.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Dec 1 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #16

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I have even used skill BPs to purchase additional Knowledge & language skills, something the Priority system does not accommodate.

You can use skill points for any skills under the Priority system, same as BP.

I like BP so that edges and flaws do not have to equal, and it is the only canon way that allows it.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 1 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #17

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Hell, I just use whatever system will give me the most bang for my buck for the character idea I have.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 2 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

I likes the Becks i have to say. Versatile, pretty well balanced, just takes some time.

My favorite aspects of Becks are:

Resource allocation. I love how you have a whole lot of resource options.

Seems to generate more well rounded characters. By making those general 6's really cost you(30 karma if your attribute was equal, usually ended up a little more), I found more folks going for a well rounded 3-4 skillset, saving the big numbers for those one or two defining skills.

Probably offered the most in flexibility.

I don't outright hate the other methods...I started and was weaned on Priority, so i felt that worked well...my main problem there were the huge resource differences(from the million, to 400 g's, to 90gs...). BP helped that a little bit at least. BP is my second favorite, under Becks, due to flexibility.

Sum to 10 i wasn't really into. You could crunch out a disgusting mundane human cyberbeast with that one, and that's all it seemed people did(occationaly playing a 'mundane metahuman.)

I havn't played that low/high thing...what does that do, exactly?

Heh, one 'other' one ive heard of some people doing....with HIGHLY trusted groups...is 'put down what you think your character has'. That's it. With a trusted group, no one munchkins their characters out suprisingly. This method is NOT recommended for munches to say the least.

+Quote Post
Taran
post Dec 2 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,891

Actually, on certain kinds of munchkins it can be enormously effective. There seem to be two kinds: those who enjoy exploiting a particular ruleset, and those who enjoy being as powerful as possible. A subtle distinction, but munchkins from the first group, if they grasp the concept, can create thoughtful and interesting characters in a freeform system.

I picked the priority system, but they're good for making different kinds of characters.

+Quote Post
Toptomcat
post Dec 2 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,112

What is 'MJlBB low/high', anyway?

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 2 2005, 02:10 AM
Post #21

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Toptomcat)
What is 'MJlBB low/high', anyway?

It's sort of a variant on the BP and Priority systems, from Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book. The only difference is it changes a few of the BP/priority values for low- and high-powered campaigns.

+Quote Post
TheNarrator
post Dec 2 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,631

My Shadowrun group uses BeCKs. It's got fexibility, but discourages mix-maxing with the increasing costs of skills and attributes. And using Karma means that things cost the same whether you get them at chargen, post-chargen or in game. None of that "Why get Unarmed Combat 4 and Ettiquette 2 when I can get Unarmed Combat 6 (a thirty Karma value) and buy Ettiquette for cheap?" stuff.

It's handy to have the NSRCG if you're using Becks, tho. Having a computer keep track of karma costs saves on the hassle of number crunching.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Dec 2 2005, 03:35 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

For pure flexibility, I think the Point Build system is the best. The beauty of it is that you can tailor it to meet the power level of your campaign, and adjust the costs if you want to encourage or discourage certain choices. MJlBB might make the point system even better, but I don't have that book, so I can't say.

BeCKS is fun to use, and personally I think that parts of the SR4 character generation system were very strongly influenced by it. I like being able to buy incremental resources, or start out with a guy who is low in resources but has, say, 10 contacts and 50 spell points. However, it is not quite as flexible as the point build system for certain types of characters such as shapeshifters or otaku, so it gets edged out.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 2 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #24

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Build Points, usually using Blackjack's (?) modified money system. (Each BP netting you so much nuyen at each 5 points.)

Priority doesn't allow enough customization, and BeCKs takes far too long.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Dec 2 2005, 08:07 AM
Post #25

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Glyph)
BeCKS is fun to use, and personally I think that parts of the SR4 character generation system were very strongly influenced by it.

I agree. I even think the changes they made were only to keep from having to credit the guy. Most of the complaints I hear about the SR$ chargen could have been fixed by using the Becks approach for chargen and improvement.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.