Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the north polls.
Dog
post Dec 4 2005, 05:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,025

Anybody getting ideas for a run based on Canada's current political situation? ....One that isn't a repeat of Super Tuesday? I've been trying, but so far, I haven't been able to shake the (admittedly dated) idea of "Stockwell Brackhaven."

(edited for poor typing skills)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dog
post Dec 4 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Okay.... I'll take that as a big fat "No!"

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Dec 4 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

Canadian politics is a nasty, vicious and seriously dangerous playground. That is, so long as you're in politics.

Depending on which party you want to come at it from, there's oh so many possibilities coming out of the current election. Nothing that needs more than a good decker, though.

For the Conservatives: Dig up more evidence of scandal in Liberal ranks, anything and everything to bring down Paul Martin and his party. If no such evidence exists, manufacture it. bonus if it hurts Belinda Stronach very, very badly.

For the Liberals: evidence must be obtained of Stephen Harper's taking large under the table cash donations from the religious groups. Also anything to discredit him or his inner circle would work. In desperate times, hire a team to kidnap or kill some prominent and popular liberal or NDPer and tie the kidnappers to the Conservative party somehow. manufacture evidence of corruption in the ranks of the Quebec Seperatists, link them to the FLQ or something.

for the NDP: all the above, and probably good pay for it, too.

For the Seperatists: Hell, anything and everything is fair game here. Wanna assassinate every liberal and conservative non-quebecker running for office? The PQ's the place to start asking.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Dec 4 2005, 09:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

QUOTE (Sharaloth)
For the Seperatists: Hell, anything and everything is fair game here. Wanna assassinate every liberal and conservative non-quebecker running for office? The PQ's the place to start asking.

This would totally backfire. Support for the separatist movement is so tenuous, they have to walk on eggshells in the ROC, and mass assassination would destroy whatever support they enjoy from so-called "soft sovereignists".

+Quote Post
Heimdalol
post Dec 4 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 8,040

Yeah the greatest thing about canadian politics in my mind is that the separatist movment is allowed to voice its complaints in good faith through the political system without resorting to violence.

Of course this doesn't stop Gilles "I don't eat babies for breakfast" Duceppe from being the canadian federal politics comedy option

I (heart) canada

+Quote Post
Drac
post Dec 4 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 7,819

Their complaints generally consist of "We speak french therefore we're special - we deserve more!"

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 5 2005, 03:09 AM
Post #7

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Drac)
Their complaints generally consist of "We speak french therefore we're special - we deserve more!"

Sadly, yes. It's more complex when you're here, living in it, but the broad picture is indeed that.

But anyway, why would you get run ideas? Canada doesn't exist in SR. Quebec did seperate (or at least didn't merge with the UCAS) so there are no more separatists.

And honestly, what inspiration is there to be found in our politics? "Oh no, the governement paid ad agencies too much! THE HORROR!!!". When that's the biggest scandal to reach us, when you think many RL governements kill or torture their citizens, attempt to dominate their neighbours or the world or do a number of other untold horrors, I think a game of Shadowrun can find much better inspiration.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Dec 5 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

Two words: Maher Arar. You know there's a shadowrun there.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Dec 5 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

I'm thinking you're correct, Backgammon. Guess I was just hoping it would've spawned an idea in someone's head. Y'know, use fiction for social commentary and all. Looks like there's just not much SR aspect to it.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 5 2005, 05:08 AM
Post #10

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Backgammon)
But anyway, why would you get run ideas? Canada doesn't exist in SR. Quebec did seperate (or at least didn't merge with the UCAS) so there are no more separatists.

There are unionists, though.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Dec 5 2005, 07:03 AM
Post #11

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

Heh, I thought this was going to be a Christmas themed thread by someone with poor grammar. :D

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Dec 5 2005, 07:06 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

If only. But the Reformers (oops! I mean, uh, Tories, yeah, bright blue Tories), the New Democrats and the Blocheads wanted to give us an election campaign for Christmas, and the Grits didn't have the balls (or the votes) to stop them.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Dec 9 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

QUOTE (Dog @ Dec 4 2005, 05:56 AM)
Anybody getting ideas for a run based on Canada's current political situation?  ....One that isn't a repeat of Super Tuesday?  I've been trying, but so far, I haven't been able to shake the (admittedly dated) idea of "Stockwell Brackhaven."

(edited for poor typing skills)

Yeah Jack Layton , I mean Member of Parliment Johnson Really wants to win, so he hires some runners to do some bad PR for opposing parties, and then hired them again to unleash a plageu of flesh eating disease on the bloc.

Later that evening The runners are spotted by Prime Minister Martin and dispatched JTF-2 after them.

Will our runners get away?

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 13 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

sorry but most americans don't understand parliamentary politics (as opposed to the Federated system with a congress)and (b) Canadian politics? yawn. seriously they don't get much play down here so I doubt most Americans even know there is going to be an early election there. Still the advertising should be fun- "It's the season of giving and senator Brown has been giving to his cronies for years!"

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 13 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #15

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

I just find it amusing that you think someone needs to make up stuff. Politicians don't get elected because they're good people.

Beside that, your runners are taking food out of the mouths of a whole industry, so... good luck with that.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 13 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #16

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
sorry but most americans don't understand parliamentary politics (as opposed to the Federated system with a congress)and (b) Canadian politics?

Canada has politics? :silly:

+Quote Post
Dog
post Dec 14 2005, 03:15 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Har, har.

Just for that, we're sending Rick Mercer back in for more "Talking to Americans." :D

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Dec 14 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

It's too bad Chuck Strahl got asbestos induced lung cancer and wouldn't run for the leadership of the opposition due to expense. He'd have made a great Prime Minister.

And just because he and my Dad worked as loggers together and have been friends for years doesn't mean I'm biased. :grinbig:

.....plus his daughter's hot.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.