Reply to this topicStart new topic
> azlan
Straight Razor
post Dec 5 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,761

i need some good info on azlan. general points of intrest. who hates who and why. ect...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Dec 5 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Shadows of North America sheds some light on that, the Ancient Files, and DoSW for Ghostwalker vs Aztlan

Edit:There's also the Aztlan Sourcebook

This post has been edited by McQuillan: Dec 5 2005, 12:21 AM

+Quote Post
Straight Razor
post Dec 5 2005, 01:11 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,761

i'm reading SoNA as currently, and it dose not mention much more than them suceeding from the NAN. and i think the aztlan book is out of print

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 5 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

The forthcoming Shadows of Latin America contains a chapter on Aztlan.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Dec 5 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #5

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Ancient--Is that being released in book format? I thought it was going to be a serial release through Holostreets...

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Dec 5 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

Short and sweet:

Azlan is the counrty that takes up what was once Mexico (other than the Yukatan Peninsula), as well as all of Central America and a small portion of Colombia. The Capitol City is Tenochtitlan. There is little difference between the company, Aztechnology, and the country, it's namesake, Azlan. However, i believe that the official word is that they are seperate. As seperate as newborn siamese twins maybe...

Anyway, some Fast Facts:
Population: 134,220,400
Human: 67%
Elf: 15%
Dwarf: 6%
Ork: 9%
Troll: 1%
Other: 2%
SINless Pop: 10,000,000 (est.)
Per Capita Income: 15,400,000 pesos (that number seem wrong to anyone else?)
Below Poverty Level: 21%
On Fortune's Active Traders List: 3%
Corporate Affiliation: 57%
Education:
High School: 33%
College: 42%
Higher: 13%
(that's a total of 88% Educated, for the record)

There are four boarders. On the west there is the Pacific Ocean. No much there...

On the north, we have the CAS which is still mad at them for taking over part of Texas (Don't mess with Texas...). We also have Cal Free, and they're mad at everyone, and the Pueblo Corporate Council.

To the east, we have The Yukatan, and, wether or not it is a recognized country, They are a major player in the local area, and not to be taken lightly. Some even say that there is a Dragon leading them, though it's all rumor, and nothing is proven. They are a band of Guerilla Rebels who are in for the downfall of Azlan plus other thing, I'm sure, but, whatever... Oh, also to the east id the Atlantic Ocean, and the Caribian League.

To the south, we have the Amazonia. Not much is really know about them (that i'm allowed to tell you about anyway). Basically, the awakened came out of the jungle one day uinder the leadership of Haulpa, the Great Feathered Dragon, and took over the old country of Brazil. They left the coastal citys pretty much alone for the humans to live in. Then, Azlan started to expand into South America, and Amazonia didn't like that, so, they stopped them by taking over territory to the north. stopping Azlan in Colombia.

Basically, Azlan is full of dirty fraggers. "Blood mage" is the phrase of the day, though, I think the term "Death Mage" is more suitable. They are corrupt mages who brainwash others into thinking that they are part of some sort of higher movement of religeon and all that crap, and then kill them and use the Trauma of their death to cast spells and summon Blood Spirits. I've fought with some blood spirits on my travels through the Metaplanes, and lete me tell you what, They are the ugliest fragging creatures I have ever seen. The are twisted in the pain of those killed, and made of what looks like mostly congealed blood. Though some of it flows and some is scabbed over. I Think they are closer in relation to Elementals than Nature Spirits. But, I'm not quite sure. But, you'd hate them too if you ever meet one (especially if it trys to Engulf you, and you survive... still sends chills down my spine).

What was I talking about again? Oh, right. Recently (3rd Edition) Azlan and Aztechnology got thrown out of Denver for trying to screw with a Dragon (smart guys, eh?). They tried to start crap with Ghostwalker and got thrown out, literally.

So, to recap, other than myself and any other sane beings on the planet, those who are mad at Azlan specifically are:

Halupa and Amazonia
The Yukatan Rebels
The CAS
Ghostwalker

I don't really know much about the Company, other than what I've Stolen or destroyed of theirs myself... But, that's unrelated.

Hope this was helpful, even though I may have been rambling...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I can't wiat for Shadows of Latin America ^-^

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 5 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

QUOTE (McQuillan)
Ancient--Is that being released in book format? I thought it was going to be a serial release through Holostreets...

Holostreets

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 5 2005, 03:21 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Lets not forget that Aztlan is essentially a corporate state exisiting to mostly to support Aztechnology. Aztechnology grew out of the ORO Corp, which IIRC was founded by drug cartels to launder money.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Dec 5 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

And here was me thinking this thread was going to be lion related...

Technochtitlan is the capital, used to be mexico city. Its huge filled with smog and had a crazy road system.

There religion is about using power to prevent demons entering this world. By power I mean possible blood sacrifice. There is a lot of implication that they are not against the demons and are in fact trying to get them here not stop them coming.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Dec 5 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

Keeping in mind that Aztlan (with a "t" dammit!) is effectively a division of Aztechnology, and that Aztechnology runs their entire infrastructure, including the matrix, it's worth knowing about this other religious practice they have.

Aztlan has a prescribed national religion, and while the citizens are not yet forced to practice it, they are strongly encouraged and other religions are suppressed. One religious practice is to appeal to their gods for specific wishes, with prayers that are accompanied with the spilling of a drop or two of blood. Some have speculated that this activity, multiplied by millions of participants, equals some serious blood magic power, and no one really knows where it's being channelled.

On the other edge of that sword, Aztechnology has set it up for citizens to use the matrix to make these appeals to the gods. So every dark secret and heart's desire of every citizen with matrix access is downloaded directly into Aztechnology's databanks. Brilliant? You betcha! Scary? Ohh yeah!

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Dec 5 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

On the other edge of that sword, Aztechnology has set it up for citizens to use the matrix to make these appeals to the gods. So every dark secret and heart's desire of every citizen with matrix access is downloaded directly into Aztechnology's databanks. Brilliant? You betcha! Scary? Ohh yeah!
Anybody else see this as being North America in 30 years or so?

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Dec 5 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE (Kyuhan)
Anybody else see this as being North America in 30 years or so?

What, you mean he's not describing Livejournal?

+Quote Post
Valentinew
post Dec 5 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,922

QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Dec 5 2005, 02:26 AM)
Ancient--Is that being released in book format?  I thought it  was going to be a serial release through Holostreets...

Holostreets

Any word on when that's actually coming out?

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 5 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #14

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Valentinew)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 4 2005, 09:19 PM)
Ancient--Is that being released in book format?  I thought it  was going to be a serial release through Holostreets...

Holostreets

"soon"

?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 5 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Aku)
QUOTE (Valentinew @ Dec 5 2005, 02:00 PM)

Holostreets

"soon"

?

Courtesy of IMDB

Dark Helmet: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?
Colonel Sandurz: Now. You're looking at now sir. Everything that happens now, is happening now.
Dark Helmet: What happened to then?
Colonel Sandurz: We passed then.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now. We're at now, now.
Dark Helmet: Go back to then!
Colonel Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Colonel Sandurz: Now?
Dark Helmet: Now!
Colonel Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Colonel Sandurz: We missed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will then be now?
Colonel Sandurz: Soon.
Dark Helmet: How soon?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 5 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Valentinew)

Holostreets

2006, probably. I don't know anyone over there.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 6 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 98

I thought Azlan was a lion (or Jesus, depending on who you ask)?

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Dec 6 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

QUOTE (Shrike30)

CS Lewis said once that the Narnia books were, in fact, a parallel of the Bible. But, whatever. yes, i know, aztlan has a 't' in it, i forgot. it happens.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 6 2005, 08:55 PM
Post #19

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

It's not like it'd be the only typo on DS.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 6 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #20

Runner

I was just exorcising my demonically funny wit, no harm was intended :P

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 6 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

Has anyone noticed that elves seem to outnumber every other race, with the only contenders being orks?

Really seems odd to me. In almost every setting book set out, the only metarace that ever has a higher percentage is orks, and even then it is generally close. Considering the large amount in the Tirs, it would seem there is way more elves than there should be.

Anyone ever thought of getting a bunch of the setting books together and figuring out how it breaks down?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 6 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Chibu @ Dec 4 2005, 09:27 PM)
Azlan is the counrty that takes up what was once Mexico (other than the Yukatan Peninsula), as well as all of Central America and a small portion of Colombia. The Capitol City is Tenochtitlan. There is little difference between the company, Aztechnology, and the country, it's namesake, Azlan. However, i believe that the official word is that they are seperate. As seperate as newborn siamese twins maybe...

Sorry Chibu, but when I read this, I couldn't help but think what an Aztlan government document would describe of the same thing you had, so here goes:

<Taken from Chibu's post and butchered>
====================================
Transcribed into the Aztlan brochure:

Aztlan is the counrty that takes up what was once Mexico, as well as all of Central America, and a small portion of Colombia. The Capital city is the glorious Tenochtitlan, the gleaming heart of Aztlan and also the headquarters of the megacorporation, Aztechnology, the country's pride and joy and for which the company takes after it's namesake, Aztlan. The country has a vibrant economy with everyone working hard together in unison to provide not for the nation but for the world.

Aztlan is also a force to recognize on the international politics, not just in economics and trade. There have been setbacks like in Denver, but this is due to hostile forces outside our borders. Be not afraid for Aztlan strives to protect its borders and will continue to provide a safe place for its citizens and guests.

Anyway, some Fast Facts:
Population: 134,220,400
Human: 67%
Elf: 15%
Dwarf: 6%
Ork: 9%
Troll: 1%
Other: 2%
On Fortune's Active Traders List: 3%
Corporate Affiliation: 57%
Education:
High School: 33%
College: 42%
Higher: 13%

Aztlan is situated with four major borders. On the west there is the wonderful Pacific Ocean. It provides access to shipping and to the profitable fish hatcheries.

On the north, we have the CAS, that includes parts of Texas, which whom we have had a long history with, some good and some bad. Several elements within the former lands of texas have caused terroristic disturbances stemming from the our rightful reunification with what was once our ancestral lands. We also have Cal Free, a volatile land which you can take lessons from between the peaceful order of Aztlan and anarchy, and there is the Pueblo Corporate Council.

To the east, we have The Yucatan, a land with some minor disturbance due to the local rebels being influenced and funded by our enemies outside of the borders. To the east is the Atlantic Ocean, and the Caribbean League.

To the south, we have Amazonia, with whom we have had some minor conflicts over border security mainly in the Columbia region. Their agendas are not known and are led by a feathered dragon. Their anti-humanity policies have forced most of the humans to be left confined to the coastal cities.

Aztlan is a wonderful place, with a rich heritage and culture that harkens back to our ancestral ways. We have had a rennaissance of the religions and ceremonies of our fathers, and the gods and spirits have answered our calls. We are confident that never again will our lands be taken away from us and our people to be part of the downtrodden, we are once again the masters of our own destiny. Aztlan today remembers and holds on to our past while looking forward to the new age of humanity.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Dec 7 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #23

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
Has anyone noticed that elves seem to outnumber every other race, with the only contenders being orks?

Really seems odd to me. In almost every setting book set out, the only metarace that ever has a higher percentage is orks, and even then it is generally close. Considering the large amount in the Tirs, it would seem there is way more elves than there should be.

Anyone ever thought of getting a bunch of the setting books together and figuring out how it breaks down?

I always put that one down to vitas.

I can't remember the place but somewhere it is implied that Vitas was targetted...

That and lots of ugly babies die shortly after birth, cot death or something...

Its what happened in SR Britain anyway.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 7 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Shrike30)

Spelled "Aslan"

It is also the name of a feline merchant race from GDW's Traveller

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 8 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)

Maybe it was written before they revalued the peso?

Hell, maybe inflation just sucks :) There's a reason everyone else uses nuyen...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.