Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I support my local comic shop?
emo samurai
post Dec 5 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Or should I buy the PDF for Shadowrun books off of an online dealer like Drivethru-RPG for 30% off? I feel guilty, since supporting something as impersonal as the "free market" feels very soulless, but it's 30% off!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!! The PDF is as convenient, if not more, since I can print multiple copies for free off of my college's printers...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Akimbo
post Dec 5 2005, 02:45 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,844

As far as our college goes, we can only print about 10 pages without being charged. After that, it's about 10 cents a page. Honestly, I do not like the PDF version of the book. It's slow and hard to navigate. It's a lot easier for me to search a physical copy for some reason. The slow PDF isn't worth the 30% off if you ask me.

Also, when we originally had the PDF, we had to bring a laptop to our games because we couldn't afford to print it out. It made the process of searching for rules take forever.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 5 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

I've gotten so used to my pdf that I feel weird when I look at a real copy of the book. I have all the important page numbers memeorized and can zoom to whatever area I want. Now the big hard bound book feels clunky.....strange eh?

I will but a hard copy though, but I am waiting for the second printing....

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 5 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Assuming the relative convenience of both formats is equal, what is your answer to the moral conundrum? Support my bottom line, or my comic book shop, which buys every sourcebook that is in print without much of a second thought to ITS bottom line?

+Quote Post
TheFr0g
post Dec 5 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 2,964

I've got a copy of the book, and a copy on PDF with a laptop at the table. Its damn handy to have 2 copies floating around.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 5 2005, 03:58 AM
Post #6

Running Target

I would support the shop. They have it rough, at least in these parts...It really isn't that much of a difference for the consumer to make it worth it if you would feel bad about it...

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 5 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #7

Dragon

I HAVE A LIMITED BUDGET DAMMIT but thanks a lot.

+Quote Post
TheFr0g
post Dec 5 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 2,964

I say buy the book and download the PDF for free. Its not copyright infringement if you own a hardcopy of the book.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 5 2005, 04:18 AM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (emo samurai)
I HAVE A LIMITED BUDGET DAMMIT but thanks a lot.

Heh, then why did you even ask? Did you want us to justify it for you? It's all just a simple matter of your preference, if the difference is a big enough deal to you, then of course, buy the less expensive version...

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Dec 5 2005, 05:11 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

A bound, complete, hard-covered book is worth the extra money.
I have a PDF of the SR3 manual which I snagged from a friend, but had previously bought the paperback. (I'm pretty sure this is'nt violating any laws, and I can't see how Fanpro can complain anyway. I paid good money for it, and I'm buying the SR4 book in a few weeks.) Owning a PDF only makes sense if you own a laptop, anyway; having 200 pages of printed text inside a binder is really a pain in the kiester.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Dec 5 2005, 05:41 AM
Post #11

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Frog--You may want to be careful about who you say that around...Intellectual property rights are nebulous and vague...and owning a print copy does not give you any more right to an electronic one...but that is a discussion for another place and time.

Emo--Buy the book from your comic book store, suck it up and skip your coffee for two days...problem solved.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 5 2005, 06:15 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (TheFr0g)
Its not copyright infringement if you own a hardcopy of the book.

Yes, it is.

Admin Post: Discussion of such matters is not allowed on Dumpshock. Take it elsewhere. Maybe RPG.net. They like it there.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 5 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

I bought both, PDF and the hardcover.
And i can't say that the PDF is hard to navigate. With knowledge of the general book structure and the provided bookmarks, i'm normally faster finding a rule than with the book.
It is true, that the first PDF made available had problems with page display speed, the second one, released one week after the first IIRC and made available for those who bought it already at no cost, didn't have these problems anymore. It's quite convenient.

But, OTOH, nothing beats a book in terms of readability IMHO. I have problems reading PDFs for a prolonged time on a monitor and so the book suits me better in this regard.
And i bought the book from my LFGS, because i want my store to live and prosper, so that i can wait for the next books, and take a look at them before i buy 'em.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 5 2005, 02:12 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Okay. Then I'll buy Shadows of Asia from them. The actual SR4 base sourcebook is short on print and won't be available, here or on Amazon, until I leave for college again, so that absolves me of guilt for buying the PDF.

+Quote Post
Drac
post Dec 6 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 7,819

Insane DRM restricitons kill any use downloadable pdf's have in my opinion.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Dec 6 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #16

The back-up plan

DRM??

+Quote Post
bclements
post Dec 6 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

QUOTE (McQuillan)
DRM??

Digital Rights Management, which (except for a few watermarked DTRPG .pdf's) Shadowrun .pdf's do not have.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 6 2005, 02:02 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner

Watermarking isn't DRM -- it doesn't prevent you from using the file in any PDF reader, on any platform, with or without a net connection.

No FanPro PDF releases use DRM. Not on DriveThruRPG, not on BattleCorps.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Dec 6 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

Thanks for correcting me.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Dec 6 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #20

The back-up plan

Thanks for the clarification--my company talks about the security features of such but I hadn't heard the abbreviation before.

Adam--Good to see you around, I hope it means that you aren't quite as swarmed over as previous months....

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 6 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

QUOTE (Adam)
Watermarking isn't DRM -- it doesn't prevent you from using the file in any PDF reader, on any platform, with or without a net connection.

No FanPro PDF releases use DRM. Not on DriveThruRPG, not on BattleCorps.

By the way, I just wanted to express my thanks for that. I have had so many hassles with copy protection on games lately that it was very refreshing to see a conscientious decision to avoid DRM.

+Quote Post
dog_xinu
post Dec 6 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,091

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (TheFr0g @ Dec 4 2005, 11:03 PM)

Yes, it is.

Admin Post: Discussion of such matters is not allowed on Dumpshock. Take it elsewhere. Maybe RPG.net. They like it there.

QUOTE (TheFr0g @ Dec 4 2005, 11:03 PM)

Yes, it is.

Having the PDF and not buying it is stealing it no matter how many other copies (like the physical books) you have. I bought the SR4 from my local game store (one of them actually) as soon as they came in. But since I can not read it at work (they frown upon reading non work related materials on the job for some odd reason). So I bought the PDF online at BattleCorps (or whatever they are called). So I use both.

If you can not afford both, only buy (and use) one.

I would not have bought the PDF online and not the book. It is hard to flip back and forth scanning for things when building characters or learning a new system (and yeah SR4 is a new system compared to SR2/SR3!).

dx

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 6 2005, 05:51 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner

QUOTE (McQuillan)
Adam--Good to see you around, I hope it means that you aren't quite as swarmed over as previous months....

Heh. Not really. But thanks for the thoughts. :-)

+Quote Post
Pugwhan
post Dec 6 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 584

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Or should I buy the PDF for Shadowrun books off of an online dealer like Drivethru-RPG for 30% off? I feel guilty, since supporting something as impersonal as the "free market" feels very soulless, but it's 30% off!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!! The PDF is as convenient, if not more, since I can print multiple copies for free off of my college's printers...

Heres a really good blog article on whether or not to buy from your local store or online. Actually the entire blog is pretty good for gamers overall.

Gone Gaming Blog

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 6 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #25

Dragon

My local store's cool; they carry just about every RPG sourcebook in existence that hasn't been out of print for 10 years. And they have the large gaming space in the back, which is surrounded by obscure comic-book themed t-shirts and old but complete anime series on tapes. I think I'll buy from them. Thanks a alot.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.