Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Detecting Matrix Tracking, Unable to find rules on it
Azralon
post Dec 5 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,773

This may be another case of RTFM, but I'm not finding the rules I'm looking for.

When a hacker is trying to trace the physical location of another hacker, does the target have any way to notice the incoming trace?

Redirect actions help defend you against getting tracked, yeah, but this weekend we couldn't find the rules that explain how to give the quarry a chance to notice when to start redirecting.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Valentinew
post Dec 5 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,922

I believe the target would be allowed a matrix perception test vs the player's stealth to notice the tracking actions. (p.217)

I didn't see anything specific for noticing tracking, either. On pg 221, where it talks about breaking in to a node, it mentions how the node gets a chance to notice you.

Just my 2 :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 6 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

I know you get a Matrix Perception test to notice something in the same node as you; so if they're trying to Track you are they considered to have a presence in your commlink's node and that's where the test comes in?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 6 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

hm. isn't there a perception test for icons in or around the same AR/VR space as you, whether you're in the same node or not?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 6 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

What's the difference between being in the same Matrix space and being in the same node?

I don't mean that as a loaded question, either. I'm genuinely unsure of the distinction.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 6 2005, 05:14 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

I think its an AR - VR distinction. AR objects appear overlaid over physical space, but don't necessarily occupy the same matrix node. In VR the virtual depictions still are arranged in nodes and you can percieve things in the same node even if they are physically far flung.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 6 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

that's a good question, Azralon. in SR3, whatever else its faults, at least it was clear when you could and could not detect an icon, since everything was basically a series of nested hosts. with SR4, i dunno. if you switch to VR mode in the middle of the sidewalk, where do you end up? i'd assume there'd be some sort of location-based public wireless host that you'd, by default, log into. or maybe you log into your own comm, which in turn displays the icons of physically nearby hosts, and maybe the icons of users who are interacting with physically nearby hosts. that's pure speculation on my part, though.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 6 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 98

The same matrix "node" means you're logged into the same system. If you're both in a corporate datastore, if you're trying to sneak through the security gateway without the security decker noticing, or anything that involves being on the same system, then IIRC you're in the same node.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Dec 6 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

MFB: I'd have to say that in AR you are fed whatever Data is relevant, but whatever functions you are using. Local nodes are displayed, as are physically far flung ones if you have opened them. Think of it as your desktop, with the possibility to open windows, overlaying your real world view, which might have tags associated with them. I think local nodes aren't themselves displayed, but their access point is. So when you look at another person's commlink you don't see what's going on, but you can "Click" it or wahtever in order to open a window that accesses that node.

When you go VR in the middle of the street, or at home, or anywhere, you begin your trip in the node you are currently using. By default this would be your commlink, but if you were already accessing another node via AR, you could "Jump into" that window to get to that node.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 7 2005, 06:09 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

So a hacker running a Track on another hacker would not be in the same node, and therefore not noticeable?

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 8 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

*sniff* :(

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 8 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

Wow, are the decking rules really as complex as all that.

I had high hopes for non craziness. Can someone please clarify?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 8 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 98

The rules themselves are fairly simple... it's some of the conceptual stuff (what is a node, what does it mean to subscribe to one, and the like) that takes a bit of wrapping your head around.

I'm getting the gist of it, which makes me happy, because things become *much* faster once you start to grasp the concepts. The rules are pretty smooth (except, obviously, in the cases where they aren't specific :P ).

I would rule that the Tracking hacker would, when he caught up to the Trackee hacker, be in the same node... someone following his datatrail through previous nodes would obviously not be something the Trackee could see, but once he was found (which happens when the Tracking hacker subscribes to the node the Trackee hacker is in, and realizes the datatrail ends there), Trackee would get a shot at spotting Tracking. If Tracking sticks around to surveil Trackee, this turns into the Matrix equivalent of shadowing someone.

Of course, if you're paranoid, you could keep an Agent on your commlink that seeds your datatrail with various bits of nastiness as you go. Not something you'd want to have running all the time, obviously (the Agent screws up, and suddenly you're setting off security alarms at the Bank), but if you happen to pass through a really low-security AR area, this would be an option.

And then there's the other option: turn off your commlink, and walk into a different node's area of coverage. Preferably through several different nodes. As long as local security doesn't pick up on this/get offended by this, you're golden (since your datatrail ends) until the Tracking hacker manages to find your trail again.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 8 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

When does a hacker know to start tossing out Redirect actions? That's really the core of my question.

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Dec 9 2005, 02:59 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

When his paranoia tells him he should be disguising his trail more?

+Quote Post
Valentinew
post Dec 9 2005, 04:44 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,922

QUOTE (Azralon)
When does a hacker know to start tossing out Redirect actions? That's really the core of my question.

Again, I think it depends on the situation. Did the hacker just hack something or somebody? Does she think she might have alerted something/someone?

Is the hacker just wandering VR through the Matrix & somebody has decided to follow him?

In the first case, a paranoid hacker could start tossing out redirect actions as soon as he leaves the node. In the second, maybe he ought to roll some sort of Matrix perception.

jmo

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Dec 9 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

QUOTE (Azralon)

Experience, mostly.

What tracking does is starts at the Persona of the decker (The "you" there in cyberspace) and then follows it's data transmision trail back to the loginn point to discern the RL location of the hacker. So you would probably notice the Icon running trace take the initial action on you required to initiate the trace.

I'd allow a hacker who specifically checks to see it he is being traced make a matrix perception check. If he succeeds (Threshold GM determined, I'm thinking either a strait 2, whatever the trace rolled that turn on it's extended check, or maybe the stealth of the icon that is running trace) He detects the trace.

But good hackers don't waste actions on these things. They learn to judge by experience when it a good time to start redirecting their dtatrail.

You can just have an agent with spoof spend all it's time spoofing it's and your datatrail anyeay.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.