IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Non cyber eyeware question, what's the capacity of regular eyeware?
ryanstone
post Dec 5 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,045

How many enhancements can be put into non-cyber eyewear such as goggles or contacts?
Can a runner with lots of cash purchase every enhancement and just throw them into a pair of contact lenses or is there a capacity to each of these items?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 5 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

As far as I can tell, its based on availability. SO, a starting shadowrunner cannot have everything on there, since they will increase the availability beyond 12.

After character creation, a player could track down uber-contacts, but it would take a while.

+Quote Post
ryanstone
post Dec 5 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Target

So everything you add to the contacts, for example, adds to the overall availability of the contacts?

If thats the case, that s good info to have.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 5 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

Coke bottle contacts!

+Quote Post
ryanstone
post Dec 5 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Target

HA! Yeah, it seems a little over the top to me, but then again, you can lace all of your bones with titanium if you have the money.
It seems like it would make cyber eyes unneccessary because the contacts are cheaper, but a little acid in the face will take care of those contacts.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 5 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #6

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

so... either nanotech in 2070 is way beyond Diamond Age good, or physics no longer works?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 5 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (ryanstone)
It seems like it would make cyber eyes unneccessary because the contacts are cheaper, but a little acid in the face will take care of those contacts.

Or a good splash of water, or a bad blow to the head... contact lenses can get knocked out, you need to keep them irrigated, and it's a bad idea to go to sleep with them in.

Not to mention the fact that you're talking about a multi-thousand nuyen bit of silicon less than a millimeter thick... that's a very fragile, very expensive piece of kit.

+Quote Post
ryanstone
post Dec 5 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #8

Target

All good cases for the contacts not being all that great, but in reality these things will be fogotten when the game gets underway. I have a hunch that the GM will not being paying that close of attention to who has contacts and who doesn't when the characters take blows to the head, or get knocked down.

+Quote Post
Spirithazer
post Dec 5 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,050

Key words: Glitches, critical glitches and critical hits. And most importantly, it's all about having fun a give the players (and GM) a good laugh!

As far as the discussion concerning enhancements in eyewear goes there's more to consider than just availability ratings and how they should be interpreted. For instance a player could argue that the eyewear he bought with all the fancy enhancements had been done over a period of time, where each modification does not exceed the specified availability maximum of 12. Given that a starting character has not been summoned, but all his statistics reflect what he/her has done so far in his/her life, this doesn't sound too impossible.

The main problem is capacity in each type of eyewear, it goes with out saying that a pair of contacts cannot possibly hold as much in them as a pair of goggles, but the enhancements does not necessarily have to be inside the eyewear, but linked through the characters PAN to a gadget, that possesses the required hardware, software or both. In regards to contacts, the only option is wireless, which opens possibilities that cybereyes normally would not.

An easier optional rule would be to set a capacity rating for each system and base all enhancements in the same manner as cyberware enhancements are done. Rating for the different eyewear could be something like:

Contact Lenses: 1 (maybe 2)
Monocle: 2
Glasses: 4
Endoscope: 6
Periscope: 6
Goggles: 12
Mage Sight Goggles: 12
Binoculars: 16

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 5 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Why does an endoscope get 6?

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 5 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (ryanstone @ Dec 5 2005, 09:00 PM)
All good cases for the contacts not being all that great, but in reality these things will be fogotten when the game gets underway. I have a hunch that the GM will not being paying that close of attention to who has contacts and who doesn't when the characters take blows to the head, or get knocked down.

The minute you start leaving anything out of a gaming situation, stuff starts falling apart... Spirithazer's point that this is the kind of thing to bring up when there's a glitch is a solid one. When I run a game, I usually try and have a sheet of notebook paper around with a few lines on each character, and the stuff i'm writing down on my quick-reference would be things like "has contacts, not cybereyes" (in addition to "has color-shifting flaming tech-hair mohawk," "smells funny," and "lies like a rug"). It makes my job easier, and most players enjoy the immersion when a detail about their character works it's way into the game, even when it's in a humorous (or possibly dangerous) way.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Dec 5 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

QUOTE (SL James)

I definatly don't want to get on the wrong end of it! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Spirithazer
post Dec 5 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 8,050

QUOTE (SL James)

It's one meter in total length, let's say there's no room for enhancements at the 20 cm myomeric rope. It still gives you 80 cm where modifications can be put, but then again be aware of the diameter of the endoscope when you compare it to the goggles and binoculars.

But these were just examples, not written rules, feel free to alter in any way!

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Dec 5 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 5 2005, 03:47 PM)

It's obviously something that he just pulled out of his ass. Which i guess kinda makes sense.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Dec 5 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Out of curiousity, would you allow a runner to don a pair of safety goggles over their glasses or contacts? I commonly use a pair of standard polycarbonate safety glasses over my normal specs when working with hot molten glass, and they work fine.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Dec 5 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #16

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

i think the keys there, spastic, are "stadnard" and "normal", no vision enhancements (corections, yes) are in either of them, but i think it would depend on what you were trying to layer and how as to how i would rule.

+Quote Post
bclements
post Dec 5 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,021

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
Out of curiousity, would you allow a runner to don a pair of safety goggles over their glasses or contacts? I commonly use a pair of standard polycarbonate safety glasses over my normal specs when working with hot molten glass, and they work fine.

Sure, not a problem as along as they aren't using a scope or at extreme range. I'd add a -1 dice pool mod for those situtations. Otherwise, they'd be good.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 6 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

don't forget there is the burnout rule for contact lenses.

Also, you can combine lowlight cyber eyes, and low light contacts to get natural low light vision = )

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 6 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

QUOTE (Liper)

Also, you can combine lowlight cyber eyes, and low light contacts to get natural low light vision = )

I don't think SR4 has either of these rules.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 6 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Read about the contacts in the SOTA book = )

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 6 2005, 01:00 AM
Post #21

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Spirithazer @ Dec 5 2005, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (SL James)

It's one meter in total length, let's say there's no room for enhancements at the 20 cm myomeric rope. It still gives you 80 cm where modifications can be put, but then again be aware of the diameter of the endoscope when you compare it to the goggles and binoculars.

Well, it's the diameter that's the problem. I don't see how you can fit a FLIR sensor, a ultrasound sensor and a visual spectrum camera in that small a space.

Then again, like I suggested above, the laws of physics no longer seem to exist in SR4 if you can cram all of this crap into a contact lens without increasing its weight, thickness, fragility, or likelihood of damaging your eye.

The stacking tech low-light to get racial is on p.36 of SOTA:2064.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Dec 6 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 948

Since contact lenses start at an availability of 6 you wont be able to cram in more than 1-2 enhancements anyway so they cant really hold that much…

…Not that I understand how vision magnification can be put into a pair of contact lenses though… (only +2 availability on lenses so with vision mag and low-light you have availability 12 on those lenses)

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 6 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Liper)

Both things are obsolete in SR4...

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Dec 6 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

QUOTE (Liper @ Dec 6 2005, 01:45 AM)

We are talking about SR4.

[EDIT]Sorry, Robert was faster than me.[/EDIT]
[EDIT2]But tanka was slower! :rotfl: [/EDIT2]

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 6 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #25

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Liper)

As was said: Where are the rules for that in the SR4 book?

SOTA = SR3, not SR4

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.