Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Healing Times
Overrated
post Dec 7 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,902

I did some searching, but couldnt find anything on this.

My question is this? Are the healing time rules highly unrealistic, or what? As far as I can understand, you make a Extended Body+Body(1 day) roll, and heal one box Physical Damage per hit. In practise this makes trolls capable of healing a full condition monitor in less than a week at worst.

Can anyone post suggestions as to how this can be realisticlly improved? Im not looking for 3rd ed 60 days heling times, but comon, 1 day; no treshhold. Thats just wrong.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 7 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

One method that has been suggested by others is this:

Treat the number of boxes of damage a character has sustained as a threshold for healing that box. For example, a character with Body 4 and 3 boxes of damage would have a healing test like this:

Day 1: 1 hit, 3 boxes remain.
Day 2: 2 hits, for a total of 3. Since this meets the threshold, remove one box. 2 boxes remain.
Day 3: 2 hits, which meets the new threshold. Remove one box, one box remains.
Day 4: 1 hit, remove the last box.

As you can see, this will bring back the SR3 "exponential" healing times, and characters with very high damage meters will have very high thresholds (but more body to make those successess with.)

It seems to make sense to me, if longer healing times are desired for higher wounds this seems a good system.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 7 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

You're using a troll in the example. Trolls are meant to be like that.

An average human -- with no modifiers -- is going to be healing 2P per day. That's a guy in a sterile medical facility in 2070 bouncing back from near death in about a week. Hurrah for technology!

If that human is at home using torn blankets and whiskey as improvised first aid gear, then a good day heals 1P. If he's stuck in a foxhole with no medical supplies, he's not appreciably healing at all.

Then there's the complications of being magically active or having implants (describing most runners). That'll slow ya down.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 7 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Or you could change it to Body+Willpower instead, just to cut down on the huge troll advantage, if you like.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 7 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)

An average human -- with no modifiers -- is going to be healing 2P per day. That's a guy in a sterile medical facility in 2070 bouncing back from near death in about a week. Hurrah for technology!

I think in these circumstances, there will also be a medicine roll involved by the doctor to help treat you; in which case you're going to heal *much* faster.

Likewise, you can also limp and drag yourself down to radio shack, and drop a couple hundred on an autodoc, and get the same effects.

But, both of these can certainly be considered "realistic" under the premise of nanotech for everyone. Ah, SR4 -- where every street bumb has nanotech, but only the rich have strawberries. Dystopia is fun.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 7 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Or you could change it to Body+Willpower instead, just to cut down on the huge troll advantage, if you like.

That's the second suggestion of yours I've liked better than the RAW today. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Overrated
post Dec 7 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 3,902

Hmmm, when I think about it I dont really NEED for my PCs to spend fifteen months in the rack to heal up a cannon wound. Ill just go with the Body + Will shite, and be heavy on the modifiers. Thanks folks.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 7 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Feshy)
Ah, SR4 -- where every street bum has nanotech, but only the rich have strawberries.

Well done. :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.