IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm thinking of making a "grandstander" flaw., What would it be like stat-wise?
emo samurai
post Dec 8 2005, 06:46 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

The idea is to give the character a compulsion to always take center stage and never have a subtle approach to anything. How many base points would this give him? For example, a character concept I thought up was a mage with a power focus that was also a guitar that had to be played (well) in order to activate it. How would that look stat-wise? And would this have a bonus or a penaly for social situations? It seems as if the social benefits and problems that come with this would be very dependent on the situation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Dec 8 2005, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

In my eyes that would be at least a 100 point flaw. The appropriate name for that flaw would be "Dead Man". Shadowrunners who are unable to take the subtle approach should not survive their first run.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Dec 8 2005, 07:05 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

I would buy this using the disscussed houserules of the phobia flaw based on the addiction flaw. Or rule it as a mental addiction.
Frequency of occurrence and difficulty to resist would determine cost.
The question is. Would someone want to paly a character that the others players tend to set up as a distraction.
P1 "Dude, Honestly, The guy wants you to put aon a concert in his front yard."
Rocker " Tottally Rad man I hope no one shoots at men this time. Dude so many people just don't appreciate my music."
P2 "No way dude. How many time can that happen. This time I'm sure thell love you."

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Dec 8 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (Oracle)
In my eyes that would be at least a 100 point flaw. The appropriate name for that flaw would be "Dead Man". Shadowrunners who are unable to take the subtle approach should not survive their first run.

Bulldoohicky.

There are plenty of runners who only do big explosive flashy jobs.

And plenty survive - Running isn't always about stealth-fu. It's about taking the jobs that YOU CAN DO, and avoiding the ones you CAN'T. Iz zat seemple.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 8 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Dec 8 2005, 01:49 AM)

Bulldoohicky.

There are plenty of runners who only do big explosive flashy jobs.

And plenty survive - Running isn't always about stealth-fu. It's about taking the jobs that YOU CAN DO, and avoiding the ones you CAN'T. Iz zat seemple.

I'll agree that runners can do explosive flashy job, but without stealth-fu you're dead.

If your enemies know who you are or where they can find you then you're dead. That's sniper from a mile away dead, not 4 corp goons with no cyber and baseline SMGs dead.

You can rule the center stage flaw however you like, but I'd bet tempted to rule it as uncouth for stealth skills.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 8 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #6

Dragon

If it was a 100 point flaw, then my character pretty much would never even have to be stealthy. And how many build points would be needed for a talisman or focus that allows my character to be able to stand in the middle of a gunfight with a near-perpetual anti-bullet barrier and blast his enemies with lightning/mana/fire at the same time?

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Dec 8 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Again, as in the phobia thread, I'd like to voice my opinion that mental proclivities, such as this, must be roleplayed effectively to be flaws. Sure, it's an attitude that can be unhelpful, but there are no game mechanics associated with it, and once you take it you get the BP, and then forget it. You don't pay employees before they do the work, and you shouldn't give BP out to characters who promise that they'll roleplay out less than optimal behavior. As soon as their in game, they'll come up wiht all manner of excuses why it's ok to violate their flaw "Just this once" and it will never come into play.

Example: I played once with someone who, in 3rd ed, taken the intolerance flaw (Vampires) for the extra points. Later, a vampire hired us for a run. We knew he was a vampire. He was open about being a vampire. The vampire was to Accompany us for the whole run. The Intolerant character said "OK, but I don't like you." and then the run proceeded as if a vampire in teh party were nothing strange. Hardly what I consider a flaw worth BP.

I know I'm not the only one with problems like that. And you'll notice that intolerance, vindictive, distinctive style and other Role-play only flaws didn't make it between editions. This wasn't an oversight on Fanpro's part, they purposely removed such abusive flaws from the game.

Now, giving your character such Role playing based character flaws shouldn't be without it's rewards. Characters with flaws are much more interesting, and people who don't always do the most optimal thing are more fun. Flaws help develope the personality of the character. They are, in fact, GOOD ROLEPLAYING, and should be rewarded with Extra Karma. Let the character take the grandstanding flaw. It doesn't go on their character sheet or give them BP, it's just how they describe their character. Whenever they grandstand when they'd be better served by stealth, give them extra Karma for good roleplay.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 8 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #8

Dragon

That would be SO fun. Shadowrun SHOULD have silly aspects to it, cyberpunk landscape be damned. And as for the rock star mage/talismonger, I'm thinking of having him not just want to get in the middle of things. He'd want to maximize his impressiveness, like turning invisible, summoning fog, and appearing in the middle of a group of enemies before torching them all. While wailing on his guitar. I wouldn't abuse this flaw; grandstanding would be a reward in and of itself.

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Dec 9 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

Then just do it. You don't need a flaw written out on your character sheet to dictate your behavior. If you think that type of character would be fun, play it.

If you won't play the character that way unless you get the flaw, then I have serious doubts about your motives. You should play a character like that because you want to and it's fun. You should want to play a character like that even if there was no advantage to in terms of BP. If you insist on the BP, then you don't really want the flaw, you want the BP ,and you should not be rewarded. If you will play the flaw, and play it well, without gaining any compensation because You think it's fun, then YAY! bonus Karma for good roleplay.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Dec 10 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

After Today at work
I want to stay out of this for the moment.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.