IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need some campaign help., Springing our buddy.
FrostyNSO
post Dec 11 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #1

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

I'm trying to wrap up a campiagn we're running before the end of this month and here's the deal:

A beloved NPC has been picked up by Lone Star and is facing 21 counts of murder along with various weapons charges. He is also SINless.

You see, this guy was in charge of a local go-gang which was wiped out by enemies of the PC's and he wanted some payback, which he exacted very publicly with the help of the PC's. However, unlike the PC's, he was the only one nabbed, and he's not talking. Somewhat suprising me, the PC's have decided they owe it to this guy to get him off the hook one way or another.

There was no bail for this guy so what the PC's have done so far is this:

Hired a cheap lawyer for him. After the NPC was charged, this lawyer attempted to draw out proceedings so as to prevent a court date from being set until the PC's could afford an expensive lawyer. This was successful, and the PC's have hired a very pricy lawyer to represent the NPC.

However.

There is a lot of evidence against him, and things don't look good, so there may have to be a jailbreak...at least that is where the PC's seem to be headed, which I really don't think will be a good move on their part, but hey, what can you do?

What I'm looking for here is ideas on how to bail this guy out. Does anybody have any war stories that could provide ideas or even off-the-wall plans that just might work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bastard
post Dec 11 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #2

Grand Nagus

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,518

If they have enough money, they can bribe someone in the chain of custody of said evidence to either make it dissappear or contaminate it. Even a broken chain of custody can get evidence thrown out.

Or they can provide false evidence (dont really know how) to at least make his case unprovable by reasonable doubt. Maybe plant evidence, falsify receipts for alibi, ect.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Dec 11 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

I would expect that the easiest ways to spring a prisoner are by identity swapping or intercepting them in transit to and/or from the courthouse (again, preferably by identity swapping).

In the first case, you have the prisoner assume the identity of a parolee, employee, or visitor and just have them walk out. Sometimes, an enterprising prisoner can do this alone (it recently happened in real life), but outside help is always welcome.

As far as the in-transit thing is concerned, try to get the shadowrunners on the detail as security forces and use that to their advantage in getting the prisoner free. If that fails, just intercept the transport forcefully.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 11 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #4

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

I'd go with Bastard's first idea simply because it's the easiest and most likely to actually work.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 11 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #5

Resident Legionnaire

Hmmmm...I like that broken chain of evidence idea, and the PC's have the cash now. There were still a lot of witnesses that saw him gun down at least one of the guys, so I'm not sure how they'd deal with that...maybe a lot of bribes/hits?

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Dec 11 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

Also, assuming that there is a jury trial, you can always influence a juror. All it takes is one.

+Quote Post
Trax
post Dec 11 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

They could ambush the prison transport while it is on it's way to the jail.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 11 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

I see it this way: the Very Pricey Lawyer gets hired by the PCs. He reviews the case at 1000$/hour (or whatever), then sets a meeting with the PCs. "You friend is faced with overwhelming evidence against him. Right now, Judge Morgan has the case. That's no good. First we're gonna make sure Judge Baily has this case. Then..."

Bottom line, the pricey lawyer, which the PCs paid a small fortune, will require about twice as much again for bribes and paying for extra help he's gonna need.

The advantage is the ganger will be legally off the hook. Disadvanatage is it's gonna cost A LOT of money.

Second option, you're looking at things like jail breaks, transport nabbing, etc. The ganger will be forever wanted by the cops, but it'll be cheaper than legally getting him off.

To allieviate that, I suggest the PCs hit the transport bringing him to jail, and make it look like the gang he wiped out killed him as payback. Fake his death and bust him out at the same time. Of course, this isn't going to be easy to do...

+Quote Post
Trax
post Dec 11 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,924

But it would be fun. :D

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 11 2005, 01:38 AM
Post #10

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Also, assuming that there is a jury trial, you can always influence a juror. All it takes is one.

To do what? Cause a mistrial? You want him off, not stuck forever in the wheels of justice.

Just because something isn't sexy doesn't mean it isn't the best decision to make. I mean, come on. Hit the transport? Have you all been watching Another 48 Hours again? Every other suggestion I see leaves your runners with more enemies than they started with for no good reason.

+Quote Post
caramel frappucc...
post Dec 11 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,870

I would consider saving a bunch of money to be a moderately good reason.

+Quote Post
Feshy
post Dec 11 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: Metaplane GEPLK136 (The one with the lizards. You remember the lizards, don't you?)
Member No.: 7,684

Fake some tapes of several of the key witnesses in compromising positions with same-gendered leather-clad troll bikers and 2 quarts of vegetable oil. Use them in the trial to discredit the witnesses.

Get *real* tapes of anyone sleazy enough to be taped in any illegal activity you can think of (*someone* involved in the trial has to be on the take, at the least). Use these for blackmail.

Kidnap the jurors while they sleep (without waking them -- keep them drugged and sleepy) and use memory engram machines on them while they sleep to distort their interpretation of the evidence. Then drug them with something mild that will impair their cognitive reasoning abilities.

Collect ritual samples from the jurors, and ritual mind control just in case the engram doesn't hold. Heck, mind control them at random in as subtle a way as you can, just so that they don't even trust their own thoughts (which should by this point be dulled by whatever you are drugging them with nightly anyway.)

Kidnap and impersonate one of the jurors. Make sure to get fingerprints and retinal patterns as part of the disguise; a high-profile trial like this will need them. You can stir up a lot of doubt and confusion as a juror "insider" -- especially with hacker help. "That's not what I remember that witness saying. Here, let's get the transcripts and see what he really said" -- and make sure your hacker changes the transcripts to something else. Especially if you've been following along and drugging them in their sleep, they'll be confused enough to listen to you and the "official" transcripts instead of what they remember.

Steal evidence (by bribery if possible, blackmail if necessary, and by outright theft as a last resort.) Make sure evidence is stored in warehouses with "poor electrical circuits" that occasionally catch fire (hack in and re-route the storage orders.) Then distort the evidence records (by "distort" I mean "hack into oblivion" or "set on fire") so that there is no provable chain of evidence (broken custody mentioned above).

Find "the real killer" -- i.e. someone with physical mask spells or the like that could have easily impersonated your guy. Make sure there is a well established motive for this person (for the killing as well as the impersonation), and that he also had the means. Also make certain this "real killer's" testimony won't be contradictory to your own -- by ensuring he has no pulse. Heck, if you make your fake killer heinous enough, and your story believable and dramatic enough (making sure to frame your guy as a real victim, maybe he was held hostage during this time?) he might even come out a "hero."

Fake the guy's death in prison. Remember, fire and acid are great destroyers of identity; a few hair fibers or maybe a finger will let you make a solid connection. If you *really* want this to work, implicate a cop in your friend's "accidental prison death" -- they will be so busy trying NOT to implicate one of their own, they won't even realize he really *is* innocent.

If ALL of that fails, you really only have two choices. Jail break, or kill your lawyer just before the closing statement -- which is probably cause for a mistrial. The first case will get you dead or wanted, the last will only buy you time, unfortunately.

Although, all things considered, given the strong case against this guy and his sinless status, he's pretty lucky to even be GETTING a trial. Worst case I see: Runners spend tons of money to get this guy aquitted, and he suffers an 'accidental death' before being released.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 11 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #13

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I think one good way out for your NPC is to go to jail. With overwhelming evidence, it would be better that the NPC does go to jail but does not sit on death row. He can set up a network in jail to help the PCs (see SOTA 2064). He could hook up with the in-jail/prison OC crowd. I would think that even mademen/yakuza would respect a ganger who avenges his gang, there is the NPC's "in" right here.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 11 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #14

Resident Legionnaire

That, and he didn't rat out his accomplices...yet. (Who knows, really?)

That is definately one way to go with it and if the PC's fail to get him off I just might take it there. Thing is, if he's in prison for the rest of his natural life, it really doesn't do him any good other than make his stay a bit more comfortable.

Some great ideas out there so far. It'll be interesting to see where the players take it. As GM, I'd say I definately like Bastard's idea so far, though a transport break with a faked death (that's a great one too) would be oh-so-cool.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 11 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

That is definately one way to go with it and if the PC's fail to get him off I just might take it there. Thing is, if he's in prison for the rest of his natural life, it really doesn't do him any good other than make his stay a bit more comfortable.

Some great ideas out there so far. It'll be interesting to see where the players take it. As GM, I'd say I definately like Bastard's idea so far, though a transport break with a faked death (that's a great one too) would be oh-so-cool.

Relatively easy to do, to.

Have someone shoot out the tires, then have the mage run up invisible and get the guy out (who would also be invisible).

You then hit the car with a few RPGs, and light the thing on fire. Make sure to do it on camera, too. He never left the car before it got his by RPGs...

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Dec 11 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Dec 10 2005, 09:54 PM)
That, and he didn't rat out his accomplices...yet.  (Who knows, really?)

That is definately one way to go with it and if the PC's fail to get him off I just might take it there.  Thing is, if he's in prison for the rest of his natural life, it really doesn't do him any good other than make his stay a bit more comfortable.

Some great ideas out there so far.  It'll be interesting to see where the players take it.  As GM, I'd say I definately like Bastard's idea so far, though a transport break with a faked death (that's a great one too) would be oh-so-cool.

Have someone shoot out the tires, then have the mage run up invisible and get the guy out (who would also be invisible).

You then hit the car with a few RPGs, and light the thing on fire. Make sure to do it on camera, too. He never left the car before it got his by RPGs...

Only thing about that is what if the bus/transport has internal security cameras? Unless the group makes sure those cameras aren't transmitting somewhere, or if they're recording to somewhere...

Decker good, but if it's not matrix controlled and the recording medium is on a black box on the bus...

Of course, that's evil ideas for the GM, not the players. :vegm:

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 11 2005, 04:53 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Dec 10 2005, 10:05 PM)
That, and he didn't rat out his accomplices...yet.  (Who knows, really?)

That is definately one way to go with it and if the PC's fail to get him off I just might take it there.  Thing is, if he's in prison for the rest of his natural life, it really doesn't do him any good other than make his stay a bit more comfortable.

Some great ideas out there so far.  It'll be interesting to see where the players take it.  As GM, I'd say I definately like Bastard's idea so far, though a transport break with a faked death (that's a great one too) would be oh-so-cool.

Only thing about that is what if the bus/transport has internal security cameras? Unless the group makes sure those cameras aren't transmitting somewhere, or if they're recording to somewhere...

Decker good, but if it's not matrix controlled and the recording medium is on a black box on the bus...

Of course, that's evil ideas for the GM, not the players. :vegm:

You make sure the black box gets hit by an RPG.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 11 2005, 04:55 AM
Post #18

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Wow.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 11 2005, 06:12 AM
Post #19

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)

actually sounds good for a backup storyline if things go sour, and the NPC survives.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Dec 11 2005, 06:30 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

I'd "kill" him, preferably in an attempt "to keep him from talking". Of course, the hit would be non-lethal; the slug would actually contain paint and a strong sedative. Then, have the janitor who hauls him out "attacked by vicious shadowrunners" (actually, bribed, hogtied, bruised and given a sedative to make him look as if he put up a good fight), and then leaving. A dead body is just one less thing for the courts to worry about.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Dec 11 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

In my hometown, there is no transportation from the jail to the courthouse, except for a tunnel that actually constitutes part of the jail. The buildings are right across the street from each other.

Perhaps you could get your lawyer to arrange a change of venue, to create said transportation issue.

But my vote is for this: Fabricate some crazier charges in another jurisdiction; another country or corp or something. Make it something really nasty that says the other jurisdiction gets a first crack at the guy. Then pose as representatives of said jurisdiction and let them hand him over to you. Easiest? No. Fun? Hell yes.
I'm thinking of something between Con Air and Black Rain. "This is an insurance policy!"

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 11 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If he's going to be in prison for the rest of his natural life where is is imprisoned matters. Through decking and bribes the PCs could arranged for him to go to Club Fed insted of Oz.

By Club Fed, I mean that the tennis courts and the swimming pools close at 7PM and you have to sign out whenever you leave. If you don't own an automobile shuttles run into town regulary.

If they do bribe a jurer, they should be sure to bribe the face. It only takes one jurer with the right social skills to convince them all to aquit. Just remember 12 Angry Men. One jurer may think getting paid a huge sum is worth being sequestered another night but the jurers who aren't compensated won't be so happy about it. They might just change their votes so they can get out more quickly, especially if the holdout is persuasive.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Dec 11 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #23

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Has everyone overlooked the easiest possibility?

Lone Star is a corporation. They don't give a damn about gangers. Just pay the 'Star off, you get your guy back, and as far as the court is concerned, he died in a prison fight. Assuming he didn't kill anybody too 'important' (and remember, 'importance' can be represented as :nuyen: signs,) this would be the easiest way.

That is, assuming that it's the 'Star that has him.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Dec 12 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 98

I can't remember if this is true for SR's Seattle or not, but modern-day Seattle's courthouse is connected to the county jail, too. The worst they have to do is walk the guy across the street, should they choose not to take the connectors.

Getting this guy off scott-free is going to be next to impossible. I get the feeling that the Star is *not* happy with this guy... and if you're trying to get him off of the weapons charges as well as the murder, well, that's going to be a *huge* chain of evidence. If he's SINless, he's probably lucky the Star doesn't just execute him in an alley somewhere, if he gets off on a technicality... "Honest, sarge, we were dropping the guy off in his neighborhood, all nice and quiet, and he just went berserk." The cops *know* this guy's a killer. Of course, they might not care at all.

Besides, most runners (not all, certainly) would rather pull an armored truck bust than deal with lawyers for the next several months. The dude might have a hard time going home afterwards/resuming his old life if this is the route they pick, though... especially if any Star get killed in the process. I think this is what those anti-vehicular shocker missiles are for... less risk of fatalities (except maybe for the rigger) and you don't risk having spalling kill your extraction target.

Were it my game (and my group), I'd be all over a run where they hit the transport :) Your mileage may vary, of course.

+Quote Post
PoorHobo
post Dec 13 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 8,033

Am I the only one thinking ski masks, assault rifles, a stolen van, and some c12? Am I the only one who liked the movie 'Heat'? Maybe a run and gun nab after conviction, right as he leaves the courthoue on the way to the pen. Then again, there's a reason I usually play gun bunnies.

Play it to you players streangth, do you have 4 troll's with HMG's? or 3 elven faces and an illusionist? One of each archetype? The plan doesn't have to be overly complex or too simple but everyone's streangth should play a part in the break.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.