Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WE NEED POWER ARMOR!
emo samurai
post Dec 11 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

It would be awesome, but it would destroy the game. But it would be awesome!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 11 2005, 04:05 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Military-grade hardened armor is powered, and there are rules in Rigger 3 for creating vehicles than can be used to create mecha.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 11 2005, 04:10 AM
Post #3

Dragon

Is it REALLY awesome? And adaptable for SR4?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 11 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Every time someone makes a thread title in all caps, god kills a kitten.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 11 2005, 04:25 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

actually, SR3 had one kind of powered armor as i recall. i don't think hardened armor was really powered (although it was most likely environmental, but not neccessarily... i think it had to be added in).

but anyways, there was an underwater powered armor. that was it for that.

there were also rules for building vehicles that moved around by walking, and that had arms. you could certainly have built mecha, but with the rules, i don't think you could have made actual powered armor (although a few simple houserules would have solved everything, as i recall... the only difference with the powered armor was that the RAS override wasn't operative, pretty much, i think, and you didn't suffer any penalties for it).

anyways, they seem to have basically planned for the possibility i would say... i mean, what else are you supposed to do with pilot anthroform skill? it's either that, or they intend to make rules for rigging humans with skillwires, and i'm personally leaning towards mecha or mecha-like vehicles.

[edit]
QUOTE (SL James)
hmmm... that's funny... coulda swore that's what happens when someone posts a "psionics are overpowered" thread over on the psionics forum of the wizards boards...

ah well, so be it:

MRAOW! KABOOM!

[/edit]

This post has been edited by Jaid: Dec 11 2005, 04:27 AM

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Dec 11 2005, 04:32 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

I completely forget whose site this is. Regardless, I give you... Teh Awesome!

edit: You're thinking of the JIM suit in SR3. It was basically an anthroform submersible that seating one. Do a search of the Shadowrun forums; you'll find plenty of threads about power armor.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 11 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (Jaid)
anyways, they seem to have basically planned for the possibility i would say... i mean, what else are you supposed to do with pilot anthroform skill? it's either that, or they intend to make rules for rigging humans with skillwires, and i'm personally leaning towards mecha or mecha-like vehicles.

Snake-Eyes: For rigging best friends.

And, I use the skill to pilot arachnodrones and various mini-walkers. But that's me.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 11 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #8

Dragon

God only kills kittens if the capitalization's unwarranted. Which it isn't, since POWER ARMOR IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 11 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

in SR4, there is only one vehicle i am aware of that should obviously use the pilot anthroform skill. personally, i consider i unlikely that they put in an entirely separate pilot skill just for the Kanmushi, and therefore presume they intend to expand on the number of drones that would require pilot anthroform.

of course, two other vehicles *may* use the skill (also both drones), as they are defined as "crawlers". of course, if they just mean tracked vehicles (which i personally could also see the description as applying to) then they would presumably be ground vehicles. it's hard to say based on SR4 only, since there are no labelled pictures of the various drones AFAICT. of course, a better knowledge of SR3 than i have might help with the other two drones. the aztechnology crawler, and the GM-Nissan doberman are the two.

in fact, iirc, anthroform is better classified as humanoid in shape, as i understand it... which, if it is meant to mean humanoid, then not even the kanmushi requires pilot anthroform.

basically, what i am saying is that the fact that they have included a skill specifically to pilot anthroforms indicates that they are planning to introduce some anthroform type vehicles at some point.

of course, i could be wrong, mind you.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 11 2005, 05:40 AM
Post #10

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (emo samurai)
God only kills kittens if the capitalization's unwarranted. Which it isn't, since POWER ARMOR IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Sigh.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 11 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (SL James)

That's not god. That's me.

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Dec 11 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (emo samurai)

I'm going to assume you're being jesterly at this point.

+Quote Post
Bullet Raven
post Dec 11 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,362

Why on earth would you want to add mecha to Shadowrun?

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 11 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #14

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Do you not see his capitals?
They indicate emphasis.

Emphasis implies immediate, overpowering, jaw-clenching NEED.

+Quote Post
Bullet Raven
post Dec 11 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,362

couldn't you work out a suit of powered armour using some cyberware rules?

i.e. while you're wearing it your attributes are as if you had cyberlimbs, bone lacing and some headware but you're limited to one initiative pass at a penalty to initiative and take a penalty to all tests involving fine motor control.

You couldn't wear anything under it and it would be more than obvious that you were wearing it to security forces.

and then somebody hacks it and hilarity ensues

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Dec 11 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

I do not know if it would ruin the game having power armour.

I KNow it would be extremley hard to get like Mile Spec Armour, and i don't feeli it would unbalance the game but potentially increase the opposition difficulty.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Dec 11 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #17

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (SL James)

Play nice :) At least the entire post wasn't all in Caps. Though I am all for God killing Kittens. :]

And I will say this regarding Power Armor... I'd never allow it in my games, but there are a lot of different play styles and play groups out there. I've been seeing requests for, or house rules to create, Powered Armor since I first got on the SR mailing list back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Personally, I'm still waiting for FanPro to just say that Kerensky (No idea if I spelled that right) from battletech is really Harlequin, and that battletech is the 7th world :]

Bull

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Dec 11 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

QUOTE (SL James)

Don't feel too bad, God kills kittens for lots of stuff. They are kind of fragile.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Dec 11 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

I feel that mature Drone/Rigger technology killed the concept of power armor.

ANthro drones wouldn't have the soft messy part in the middle, so they can be smaller for identical capabilities. With a rigger in residence, you have nearly identical capabilities, with much less exposure to risk. If one drone takes a Panther sabot round, you just jump into another, and let the damaged one keep up as best it can.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 11 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (Bull)
Personally, I'm still waiting for FanPro to just say that Kerensky (No idea if I spelled that right) from battletech is really Harlequin, and that battletech is the 7th world :]

The spelling is correct... but don't give me any funny ideas :grinbig:

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 11 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Unless someone really fragged the mana cycle mechwarrior should be an adept discipline. Of course, someone already fragged the mana cycle twice now, halting it for some time in the Fourth World and accelerating it in the Sixth, so it is quite possible.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Dec 11 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #22

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Unless someone really fragged the mana cycle mechwarrior should be an adept discipline. Of course, someone already fragged the mana cycle twice now, halting it for some time in the Fourth World and accelerating it in the Sixth, so it is quite possible.

This is getting horribly off topic, but it's been stated by FASA (FanPro just avoids the issue, I think) that the mana cycles are not "set". AKA< there's no designated time period that they last, there's no "Maximum" and "Minimum" for the mana to rise or fall... It's pretty much random.

Bull

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Dec 11 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
QUOTE (SL James)

Don't feel too bad, God kills kittens for lots of stuff. They are kind of fragile.

I heard they can be tasty too, though I've never (or will) try it.
The way I hear they're prepared in China is you toss the cat in a boiling pot, and then hold down the lid. Voila.

You guys sickened yet? Darn. :P

+Quote Post
Mordrid Soud
post Dec 11 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 6,248

One of my players comes up to me one day, "I want power armor.". I say, "sure buddy, here you go.", and in comes the Lone Star T.A.C. unit that has been tracking him since the National Bank of Seattle "incident" consisting of a 3 man point team all wearing power armor. "All you have to do is take it.". Don't feel too bad for him... he never checked for tracers from the bank loot and never moved his safehouse which Lone Star knew about from the Seattle Harbor Master "incident". The fact he was able to pull off the bank job was shear luck combined with a bit of karma. In the end it was his time :) .
I have no problem with power armor in Shadowrun, keeping in mind that it is very expensive, and the only people who could reasonably afford its cost and upkeep would be corps. Keep in mind when I refer to power armor I am not talking 20-50 foot mechs (Those just aren't economically/logistically viable even to me to use in SR).

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Dec 11 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

"All you have to do is take it"

Oh, that is classic. The moment, the line, the setup, oh!

That is the kind of thing GMs long for their entire career.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.