IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Casting Confusion, What exactly is a threshold?
Lagomorph
post Dec 12 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,832

So, I've been trying to figure this out and have come up empty. So maybe you guys can assist me here.

For this scenario, I cast improved invisibility on a car. For being an Advanced object, that requires 4+ hits on the spellcasting roll. If I achieve those 4 hits, does it also mean that those 4 also count towards a spell resistance roll? Or is it anything above those 4 hits required for the threshold? If the 4 hits aren't counted, then casting improved invisibility seems exceptionally difficult or painfully worthless.

Also, what is rolled to resist the effects of improved invisibility?

TIA
-Lago
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 12 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Force caps total hits.

You need a number of net hits equal to the object resistance of an observing object for it to not see you. Your net hits are your hits rolled in excess of the threshold of the object you are casting it on.

So making a car invisible to enemy drones is really hard, you need 7 hits (and a Force 7 spell). Making a person invisible to drones is merely kind of difficult, needing 4 hits.

---

Also, what is rolled to resist the effects of improved invisibility?

If you are a camera? Nothing. If the spell has enough net hits that it hits your Object Resistance, you don't see the target. If you are a creature you roll your Intuition + Counterspelling, and if you get as many hits as the spell you see them.

Note: that Counterspelling can be provided by anyone.

-Frank

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Dec 12 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #3

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

One of the things that is different about the way Shadowrun´s rules are set up, is that rules that apply to several things are mostly not repeated but mentioned once. So when your looking for how area effect works for a specific spell, you should be looking at how it works for all spells, and when your looking for what to use for resisting a specific illusion, you should be looking at what is said about all illusions. It´s a bit less user friendly than having everything you need to know in the spell discription, I know.

As for object resistance, it replaces the resistance roll that all involontary targets get. Resisted spell tests are treated as opposed tests, and thus the object resistance is sutracted from your hits. Objects resist being made invisible, so they get less invisible if you succeed.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Dec 12 2005, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So making a car invisible to enemy drones is really hard, you need 7 hits (and a Force 7 spell). Making a person invisible to drones is merely kind of difficult, needing 4 hits.

So to summarize for my own understanding. In essence, you can't "double dip" your hits. If you are casting on an object, only hits above the object threshold of the subject device count to the purpose of the spell.

Thanks for the assistance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.