Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wireless Smartlinks?, really?
Bearclaw
post Dec 15 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,304

Who thought a wireless SGL was a good idea? Some hacker dropping your clip in the middle of a firefight, or even better, taking the shotgun that's shooting slugs and adjusting it's choke to full (which is bad, trust me) is not what I consider a good idea. It also seems like if you kill your comm link, you loose your SGL. That doesn't sound good either.

Anyway, the question is, can you still do it with an induction pad, or a wire to a datajack or something? Some stuff is just better hard wired.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BlackHat
post Dec 15 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,180

Wire to datajack works. Skinlinked devices work. Induction pads *should* still exist, but arn't covered in the core-book (since skinlinking things seesm cheaper and easier).

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 15 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

check out the old threads about this, and allso the skinlink addon to the comlink...

the big question, and one that have never realy been answered, is about the ability to run a pan without a comlink. and if one need a comlink, can one then use a dedicated on that have the connection to the outside turned of, not just hidden?

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Dec 15 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
can one then use a dedicated on that have the connection to the outside turned of, not just hidden?

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 15 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

I've always wondered, if youre hacker did thier homework in advance, regardless of the transmitting range of a device, the ability to recieve a signal is still there.

You could even if skinlinked if the smartlink was set up to accept wireless signals still, still eject a clip =p

Also, can you use smartlink to adjust chunk? I thought that took tools or manual labor at least.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 15 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Dec 15 2005, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 15 2005, 11:45 AM)
can one then use a dedicated on that have the connection to the outside turned of, not just hidden?

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

"You can always temporarily or permanently disable wireless features" -- p.224, in the sidebar What Every Runner Needs to Know About Hacking

QUOTE (Liper)
Also, can you use smartlink to adjust chunk? I thought that took tools or manual labor at least.

Shotgun chokes are no longer simple metal tubes in SR4 time; they're electronically controlled devices most likely made out of some kind of shape changing smart material. In previous editions, this kind of "smart choke" would add another 10% to the price of your shotgun, but under SR4, to change the choke on a shotgun requires only a simple action, or a free action if the shotgun is smartlinked with no additional cost listed. It's one of the places where something that used to be an upgrade now comes free standard, modeling the march of progress.

+Quote Post
Jestercat
post Dec 16 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,074

Which is nice, because it means Technomancers CAN indeed jam people's chokes and stuff if they're close enough...hm...combat technomancer? It's really too bad you can't make a Technomancer Adept (though it'd be obviously busted) - I had a cool idea for just such a character this morning. >_>

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 16 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Jestercat)
Which is nice, because it means Technomancers CAN indeed jam people's chokes and stuff if they're close enough.

I doubt actual jamming of the choke itself would be possible. You could change the spread from wide to narrow, or narrow to wide, but I doubt that'd it'd let you deliberately manipulate the choke in a way that'd cause it to jam up, any more than you could jam the disc tray on your DVD player simply by pressing the Open/Close button on your remote.

If you actually do find a smartgun (shotgun or not) that has wireless turned on, your best bet for screwing with it would be throwing the safety on, followed by ejecting the clip.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 16 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

And with the current rules, there is only one shotgun that can shoot slug rounds....a semiautomatic. Chances are between shots a character will see a read out or what not on the gun or image display and see whats up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.