> Great Dragon stats
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 16 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #1

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

'Couple things I've got a beef about
1) magic rating of 12. These are supposed to be the ultimate ass-kicker-you-can't-touch-them-toughies in the game, and their magic attribute is in the area of something that a serious mage could achieve whithin their lifetime ( assuming human) with work. Not to mention a runner that works at nothing but for a few years. GD magic has already been a bit off, but this stinks.

2) claw/bite damage. The fact that a great dragon w/ a +10 str over the adult feathered serpent (for example) does the same exact damage.

I DO like the way they work the breath weapon now though. And the fact that they can get a sorcery group skill half again as much the best human can possibly achieve (spellcasting aptitude 7 vs sorcery group 10) if you use rule caps. At least they get something that really sets them apart. And Twist fate is cool. Re-roll all successes only! Ouch! :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elve
post Dec 16 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,071

I think they need more Edge...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 16 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
And Twist fate is cool.

That power at least got a huge uptune thanks to the new dice mechanic. Buh-bye, 2/3 successes!

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 16 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Elve)
I think they need more Edge...

It seems like they should get more, but if they did, that along with Twist Fate alone (since it works off of using edge) would be enough to kill anyone/anything/any group. GD's should be abel to do that, yes, but not with just one power (IMO).

+Quote Post
Athenor
post Dec 16 2005, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,067

I dunno. I think it is just pure luck as to whether a starting, street-level Shadowrunner can kill a great dragon.. and if the GD can twist fate, well that takes luck out of the picture. ;)

+Quote Post
Overrated
post Dec 16 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 3,902

Yeah, the magic rating seems absolutly wrong. And a skillrating of 10 is nothing , if you think of the thousands of years the greats have had to practice. They never should have listed the skillratings or the magic rating. In S3 at least they could have a immense karmapoll, so you could make them somewhat powerful. This new shit is rubbish, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 16 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Not all great dragons need to be from the Fourth World. The GM can probably bump up the stats on the big players without worrying.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 16 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

Well assuming that even the smaller dragons where asleep during the 5th World, i would deem a new 6th World Great Dragon unlikely.

According to p.15-16 of Dragons of the Sixth World, the timespan to become an adult dragon takes "several centuries". I theorize that during hibernation the body and mind of a "young" dragon don't develop much, so i assume that the dragons have to be active several centuries to become an adult.

After that, the timespan to become a "Great Dragon" is unknown, but i think it should also take a long time, at least "several centuries".

Since no "very powerfull, but yet not great" Dragons have entered the official stage of the powerplayers i can't assume "new" Great Dragons have spawned in the 6th World.

IIRC Do6thW mentions Ryumyo as the youngest of the Great Dragons, and he is from the 4th World. But as long as i didn't find it again in the book, this stems from my memory.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 16 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Darkness @ Dec 16 2005, 11:13 AM)
IIRC Do6thW mentions Ryumyo as the youngest of the Great Dragons, and he is from the 4th World. But as long as i didn't find it again in the book, this stems from my memory.

I'll comfortably buy that.

(Your memory, not the book.)

+Quote Post
walkir
post Dec 16 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,608

According to Dot6W Masaru became a "formal" GD in 2042. (stated in his timeline). Whaetver "formal GD" means.

And I assume "Magic" in the stat section means 12 without any magic points added via initiation.

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Dec 16 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 864

QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Darkness @ Dec 16 2005, 11:13 AM)

I'll comfortably buy that.

(Your memory, not the book.)

Nope. The youngest of the Greats is Masaru, who achieved Greatness in the Sixth World (in 2048, IIRC). Ryumyu was the first Great to appear in the Sixth World. Big difference. :)

There have been no other published accounts of adult dragons becoming Great after the Awakening.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 16 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

Found it myself just a minute ago ^^''.

Since becoming a Great Dragon is quite difficult and time consuming, we can safely assume, that another one won't pop up anytime soon.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 16 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

I've been huckstered!

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Dec 16 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

As to the earlier discussion of the stats being too low the main book stats are, to me, just a template. But even then they are still scary. See what that "weak" GD with his 5-10 Force 12 Bound Spirits can do to the team, not to mention a Force 12 Stun ball which the dragon can fling around almost at will, especially with its Force 12 Power Focus.

Certain dragons like Dollmaker...I mean Ghostwalker, would have a HUGE number of spirit and mortal servants. Lowfyr literally has armies and a huge number of crack guardians at his beck and call. Alamais has been fighting the Elven Court since at least the early days of the 4th Age. And all it takes is a quick perusal of Asian mythology to give some ideas what the Celestials would be able to do (Lung and Ryumyu).

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Dec 18 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (walkir)
Whaetver "formal GD" means.

For some reason I doubt it involves Lofwyr in a tuxedo, though for the life of me now, I can't get that mental image out of my head.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Dec 18 2005, 03:48 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Any more info about Masaru?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 18 2005, 05:37 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

From Ancient's Site.

QUOTE (Ancient History)
An eastern dragon. Male. Masaru has black scales shading to blue on his underbelly, white horns, and gold eyes.

Known as "Mameleu" by the Filipino (Masaru is the japanese equivalent of the name). Masaru is also known as Taliakuod and "son of Kalaon." Masaru is very young for a great dragon, having only come into his status during the Sixth World. Masaru Awakened from beneath Mt. Mayon in Batayan during a lunar eclipse in 2014 (in fitting with local mythology as the snakelike dragon who eats the moon and shakes the earth). He manages World Wildlife Funds money and ourchased a large estate in Vancouver in 2042.

As a great dragon, Masaru was entrusted with an egg, which was stolen from him in his Vancouver lair and has since been recovered. A self-proclaimed Filipino, Masaru aided the Huk against the Japanese. His efforts against the Yakuza have not endeared him to Ryumyo. Masaru was not a serious contender during the Rite of Succession, but managed to secure the Utsuro Sapphire from Ryumyo. He is currently considering apprenticing himself to Ryumyo's old enemy Lung.

Masaru lairs on Visayan Island in Panay, the Phillipines, which he has recently helped secure from Japanese rule.

Currently, Masaru's magical abilities are much less than other great dragons, given his relative youth, inexperience, and lack of resources. However, should he become apprenticed to Lung, this will almost certainly change quickly, and Masaru may becoem able to manipulate the Ring of Fire power sites within the Phillipines.

Anything else you'd like to know?

-Frank

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Dec 18 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
From Ancient's Site.

QUOTE (Ancient History)
An eastern dragon. Male. Masaru has black scales shading to blue on his underbelly, white horns, and gold eyes.

Known as "Mameleu" by the Filipino (Masaru is the japanese equivalent of the name). Masaru is also known as Taliakuod and "son of Kalaon." Masaru is very young for a great dragon, having only come into his status during the Sixth World. Masaru Awakened from beneath Mt. Mayon in Batayan during a lunar eclipse in 2014 (in fitting with local mythology as the snakelike dragon who eats the moon and shakes the earth). He manages World Wildlife Funds money and ourchased a large estate in Vancouver in 2042.

As a great dragon, Masaru was entrusted with an egg, which was stolen from him in his Vancouver lair and has since been recovered. A self-proclaimed Filipino, Masaru aided the Huk against the Japanese. His efforts against the Yakuza have not endeared him to Ryumyo. Masaru was not a serious contender during the Rite of Succession, but managed to secure the Utsuro Sapphire from Ryumyo. He is currently considering apprenticing himself to Ryumyo's old enemy Lung.

Masaru lairs on Visayan Island in Panay, the Phillipines, which he has recently helped secure from Japanese rule.

Currently, Masaru's magical abilities are much less than other great dragons, given his relative youth, inexperience, and lack of resources. However, should he become apprenticed to Lung, this will almost certainly change quickly, and Masaru may becoem able to manipulate the Ring of Fire power sites within the Phillipines.

Anything else you'd like to know?

-Frank

That should be fine, thanks.
Masaru looks to be a very interesting dragon, indeed.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 18 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Also, I'll point out that because it takes a dragon 2000 years to become a great (according to the unpublished ED Dragons book on AH's site), there should be some more borderline-non-Great Dragons. Basically, all of the adult dragons listed in that should be borderline Greats by now (assuming 1000-2000 years in between ED-time and the start of the 5th Age, which is reasonable because they've just recently come out of their kaers after the Scourge).

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Dec 18 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #20

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

The fact that Masaru is the director of the WWF is hilarious to me. Imagine him flying into a board meeting:

Masaru: "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN... how are we proceeding in our efforts to curtail Gorilla poaching in the Congo?"
Schlub A: "Er.. um... very well, sir. We've got the local government authorities to enforce some of the laws surrounding that..."
Masaru: "EXCELLENT. All is proceeding according to my plans. JONES! Where is Jones?"
Jones: "Here, sir."
Masaru: "It is your task to see to the protection of the Giant Panda habitats in Guangzhou. DO NOT FAIL ME, LEST YOU FEEL MY WRATH!"
Jones pees himself in terror.

+Quote Post
Skitzboy
post Dec 18 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 8,068

I'll give you that technically, a human can reach a magic rating of 12. But it takes six levels of initiation, plus about 294 Karma just for the 6 magic and initiation. Not only that, but he'll be maxed at 6 for Mental Attributes (maybe 7 with Exceptional Attribute) while the GD will have 13's in all their Mental Attributes. That's at least 4 more bound Force 12 spirits, not to mention the ability to resist drain and other spellcasting bonuses.

Not to mention their physical attributes, base Sorcery skill of 10 and Conjuring skill of 8 (both of which are above any human's max) and other assorted goodies, like an Initiative of 24. Even with almost unlimited Karma, a PC will never be on a completely level playing field with a GD, even if they can come close in one area. Throw in Twist Fate and it becomes completely lopsided.

So a Magic of 12 may seem low for a GD, but I think with everything else, it's pretty reasonable. That said, if it seems to low, give all you GD's 18 Magic. They're supposed to be near unstoppable by mortals, and really, with Twist Fate on the table, does another 6 Magic really make them that much nastier compared to what they can already do?

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Dec 18 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

They are all a great source of power.

+Quote Post
walkir
post Dec 18 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,608

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (walkir @ Dec 16 2005, 10:49 AM)
Whaetver "formal GD" means.

For some reason I doubt it involves Lofwyr in a tuxedo, though for the life of me now, I can't get that mental image out of my head.

Well, I got a liitle problem if it is a purely formal question if one is a GD or not. I think it takes this... "astral cocooning" reported by shadowtalk in Dot6W. It shouldn't be a fromal question to become a GD after you left this cocoon after a long time and a good 50% bigger than before.
On the other hand - dragons are way to formal anyway. Perhaps becoming a "formal GD" just involves waiting some decades to show patience.

Does soemone know what it takes to become a GD? (Earthdawn sources?).
I'm thinking of a weird storyline about a special dragon by now...

PS) I'm sorry if my post sounds odd, I don't get many possibilities to use my english.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Dec 18 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,623

The twelve magic listed for Great Dragons is the base they can have uninitiated. Add in several thousand years worth of initiating and you are looking at possibly something in the mid twenties or higher for a typical GD? As for the dragons physical attacks I simply ruled that the dragons claws are on a level with swords making damage (St/2)+3. That comes out to 28 physical against impact armor (if any). Most characters are going to go splatt under that kinda assault.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:33 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.