Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Game effects of alcohol, what if you are drunk
ogbendog
post Dec 19 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,923

what house rules have peole done for drunks? Alcohol is a "legal" addiction (unlike nicotine) so what's the game effect of being drunk?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 19 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

Depends how drunk you are. -1 Agility and -1 Reaction, -1 Logic, 2 levels of Pain Tolerance, is what I use for a character that's pretty wasted.

+Quote Post
Wiz In Red
post Dec 19 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 7,510

The way we play, a person stay reasonably sober as long as the number of drinks does not exceed the natural points of body for the character (ie no drinking bonus for ceramic bonelacing). After that, all active and knowledge skills get a +1 TN per drink until you either sleep it off or have massive amounts of Nukit Burgers (or Burritos will suffice). Besides that, we don't usually encourage drinking before going on a job...stealth and aim seem to go to shit.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 20 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

I'd say one drink of alcohol does 2S damage, soaked by Body. 4S for a "double," and so forth.

Seems the simplest way to do it.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 20 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

It gives -2 dice on social tests.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 20 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

Except when dealing with other drunks.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 20 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

social tests are used by both participants. thus, the -2 would cancel out. no need to come up with the exception if both persons are drunk.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 20 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #8

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 20 2005, 01:01 PM)

Except when dealing with other drunks.

Nope, even on that occasion. ;)

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 20 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

I wonder why. Social drinking is a very popular pasttime and indeed, certain well known social skills are often used with or influenced by alcohol.

Why make -2 on all social skill tests? Drunk people don't seduce others? Drunk people don't show other people a good time, or make them laugh? Angry drunks don't scare the piss out of people?

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 20 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

My "except when dealing with other drunks" addendum was to describe the oft observed but inexplicable phenomona that two drunk people often get along better than if they were both sober. Similarly sober people have almost as difficult a time dealing with drunks as drunks have dealing with sober people.

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Dec 20 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

heck, the penalty should be a bonus.

"I love you man !"

"I love you too !!! <buuuurp>"

"Let's call your ex-girlfriend, it's only 3 am"

"OK!"

+Quote Post
Inigo Carmine
post Dec 20 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 8,080

QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
I wonder why. Social drinking is a very popular pasttime and indeed, certain well known social skills are often used with or influenced by alcohol.

Alcohol makes you braver and more apt to disregard your insecurities and inhibitions. It does not make you "better" at social things. It's really a roleplaying thing, and not a mechanical bonus.

It would go in stages. Initiailly, it would probably be a -1 to all checks, but give an equal benefit to ignore the same amount of penalty from both stun and physical. (you don't resist damage better, but you can ignore the effects of it easier)

Also, probably decrease the amount of ones needed to glitch by that same amount. (bad things tend to happen, like tripping over stationary objects).

Afterwords, the penalties would start being higher than the bonuses.

Any test to resist fear is not subject to the dice penalty, but instead gets a bonus = to the penalty it would have had.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 20 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #13

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (ogbendog)
"Let's call your ex-girlfriend, it's only 3 am"

I have a theory that anyone...anyone...when sufficiently drunk, will decide that calling someone (particular a current or ex significant other) on the phone is a very good idea.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 20 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

Covered by the penalties of accumulating Stun damage, per my method. :)

Besides, drink enough booze and you pass out. Sounds like Stun damage to me!

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 20 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Yeah, booze CAN kill you, but that's what overflow is for. In real life, passing out is a body's defensive mechanism saying 'too much!!' but if you pound, say, an entire bottle of 151 at once, in about 10 minutes you resist would be like 20 S...resisted with only body.

So it COULD kill you, in a sense.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 20 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #16

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

It could, sure. Granted, so can breathing.

Most likely you'd pass out fairly quickly, throw up the contents of your stomach, then wake up and have one hell of a hangover. And have to piss. A lot.

A lightly buzzed character would most likely get a +1 to Charisma and Body and -1 to Perception and Intuition. (While buzzed, I maintain almost all of my manual dexterity and reaction time.)

A drunk character would probably get a +2 to Body and Pain Tolerance 2, as well as a -1 to Reaction and Agility, a -2 to Intuition and Perception, and a -1 to Willpower. They then recieve the skills "Drunk Dialing" and "Drunk English" at a rating of somewhere around 2 or 3.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 20 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

In Shadotech or Man & Machine I think it was the Nephretic Screen essentially made it impossible for you to get drunk. Not sure if toxin filters work that way too. Has anyone ever used any of this 'ware to win a drinking contest?

Worse yet anyone ever used it to survive deliberately poisoning themselves to 1. trick someone in to poisoning themselves at the same time or 2. to frame someone else?

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Dec 20 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

The basic idea of alcohol being a 2(stun) toxin seems good, but the overdose rules are kind of wishy-washy. No self-respecting bar-fly has just one shot. How many shots in how quick a time moves the power level how much. Because my troll will never get drunk if he just has to score 2 successes with 11 dice.

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Dec 20 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

heh, you could treat every N drinks as a level 1 stim patch. so you feel no pain, but eventauly start taking stun damage

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 20 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Besides Drunk Dialing and Drunk English, don't forget 'Drunk SMS' and 'Drunken Pick Up Lines' knowledge skill.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 20 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #21

Chrome to the Core

Drunk SMS (or texting, as we like to call it here in the States) falls as a specialization under Drunk Dialing. Or would that be under Drunk English?

Oh, hell, I don't know. Maybe I should get drunk and find out.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 20 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

I find that while drunk and speaking another language, you begin to speak your non native language more often. My mother tounge is English, but my second language is Finnish, and while drunk i sometimes forget my English. :P That can be instated somehow.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 21 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

So it sounds like we need to create a mechanic that deals with levels of drunkness and determines what it takes to get there.

I'll throw this out, when drinking Alcohol the player takes (2+1 for every drink consumed within Body * 10 minutes)S Appropriate Toxin Filters apply. Drinking stun should be tracked to determine how drunk the character is based on body

Up to 1/4 of Body: A little Buzzed -1 Logic, -1 to social skills, 1 level of Pain Tolerance

1/4 to 1/2 Body: Drunk -1 Agility and -1 Reaction, -1 Logic, -1 to social skills, 2 levels of Pain Tolerance

1/2 to 3/4: Tanked (maybe passed out by this point) -2 Agility and -2 Reaction, -2 Logic, -2 to social skills, 3 levels of Pain Tolerance

3/4 or more: Completely Blitzed (probably passed out) -3 Agility and -3 Reaction, -3 Logic, -3 to social skills, -1 to Charisma 3 levels of Pain Tolerance

Suggestions, Improvements, good drunken stories?

+Quote Post
ogbendog
post Dec 21 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

so if i'm smalling 1 drink per 10 minutes. with a body of 3(average human) I take 2+3 = 5S every 30 minutes. on average 4

if I'm an average troll with body 7, I take 2+7 = 9 every 70 minutes. on average 5. So trolls take longer to get drunk.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 21 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #25

Chrome to the Core

I always thought it was an unspoken rule that Elves get drunk fastest, Humans second fastest, Orks tying up with Dwarves, and Trolls being the Olympic-style drinkers we see in films about college life.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.