Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I still don't understand cyberlimbs, torsos, skull, and body slots
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 22 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

Yes, I did a search for this topic. Yes, I found stuff. No, I'm not satisfied with the answers that I found.

1) All cyberlimbs have average human stats, regardless of whether it's on an 8-year old girl or an exceptionally large troll. Oooookay. Whatever. I can deal with that. I sort of think they should come in metatype models that have average (or above average) stats for the metatype, but maybe since they'd cost more that's just figured in. Still, it seems that an arm built for a troll should have a higher maximum than an arm built for a human. At least in terms of strength and body. I mean, it's BIGGER.

2) What's the deal with the body slots. I know they give an example (pg 335), but it's entirely too vague. The example says that torsos have a strength and agility stat. What about skulls? In their example they imply that there are only five or four slots being used, since those numbers give me an average of 4 (which they got), but if I assume six slots then they only average 3.
So.
a) How many/what slots for Body?
b) How many/what slots for Strength?
c) How many/what slots for Agility?

3) Armor. It sounds like the consensus is that it is summed, not averaged. I can see arguments either way. I'm still not entirely convinced either way, though.

edit:4) Extra damage boxes. 1/limb. What about torso and skull? One for each of those?

And considering what a mess cyberlimbs have turned into in previous editions, how did this not get fixed? Why, in the designer's meeting room, was there not a large chalk board with the words, "Don't &$*% up cyberlimbs!" written on it?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Dec 22 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

See, the reason your search didn't turn up any more concrete answers is that there are none. Until augmentation comes out, you are going to have to house rule the hell out of those suckers, and hope for the best. Go with what you think works.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 22 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
See, the reason your search didn't turn up any more concrete answers is that there are none.

That has often been the case in a great many things.

Ah well, the edition is still young.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Dec 22 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I've house ruled for many editions now that limbs automatically come with attributes that match the body's. Increases cost more.

You're right. Cyberlimbs are unecessarily complicated.

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Dec 22 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

I've house ruled for many editions now that limbs automatically come with attributes that match the body's. Increases cost more.

You're right. Cyberlimbs are unecessarily complicated.

Edit: there are two of these posts. How did that happen?

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 22 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Dec 22 2005, 12:19 PM)
And considering what a mess cyberlimbs have turned into in previous editions, how did this not get fixed?  Why, in the designer's meeting room, was there not a large chalk board with the words, "Don't &$*% up cyberlimbs!" written on it?

Priceless. And I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am not one to complain and say that I don't like SR4, I love it. Just it bothers me how they dropped the ball on this one....again...

Either they will come out with some new rules that will overwrite the crappy ones they have, or they will just go with it in its houserule required state. I think they will just leave it be....

I'd like to think that in the upcoming sourcebooks they will dazzle us with "improved" cyber-limbs. These limbs would actaully work they way they should, just cost more and be harder to get, meaning the ones in the book would be the normal replacement ones...I doubt that will happen.
My groups house-rules:

1.) Metahuman modifiers affect the limbs. You can't get a limb that is not your meta-type. They start at human average plus metahuman modifier, and we allow more space to accomadate the potential to reach higher enhancement levels.

2.) Torsos and skulls only require body, nothing else. They don't have any room for the stuff anyway...

3.) We play by the interpretation of summing cyber-armor. Otherwise, with averaging on a total body replacement you could get 2 armor tops in most cases. A person with say 2 arms at starting avail armor 2 on each would have less than even one point....That seems dumb. I am aware that a character can get to be tank worthy if he wants to, but he'd have to give up all the room for enhancements and gadgets....

4.) Yeah, per the book you get a box for the head and torso.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Dec 22 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

Also forgot to mention that we use the damage bonuses to unarmed attacks that bone density 4 and titanium lacing gives on limbs also. Just makes sense....

+Quote Post
SimpleRunner
post Dec 23 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 5,043

Personally I see the rules showing that any mod placed on a limb has to have the criteria listed, no essesnce cost and takes up space. Wired Reflexes and bone lacing would be in the catagory that can't be used. I see the reasoning behind the not adding those as you can add the bioware equivalent inside the torso as the that is just a shell as is the skull. The extra boxes of Condition Monitor are for Physical damage for each Limb, not the torso and skull which are stated as shells only, thus 4 limbs replaced would be 4 extra boxes on the condition monitor.

As far as I see it the way that armor plays into this is that all each area is different barring going into hit locations. If a PC has 4 points of armor in all body locations great, not hard to deal with. If the PC has 4 points in his legs and 2 in each arm and none in the torso and skull on the spot ruling should take that into effect. As a GM I like to know if the PC is right or left handed, are they behind cover, did they jump off a 2 story building etc... Being that every situation is different you need to be fair on the numbers. The main thing to deal with is that the capacity is a real hinderence when filling up the available goodies. Should a player look at Level 3 Armor, Body, Strength, and Agility for an arm they have no room left for anything else where as Legs would still have 5 capacity left. The Torso would be able to handle less at 10 and the skull even less still at 5. Nothing will modify the numbers including Grades of Cyberware, one would even consider grades drop capacity costs. I also do agree that Cyberlimbs should start at 3 plus any racial mods.

(Edited for spelling)

+Quote Post
Heimdalol
post Dec 23 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,040

These are the rules I'm thinking about using for cyberlimbs.

They're a little out there but let's see what you guys think.

Cyberlimbs:

Start with Strength and Agility of your racial average

Don't have a separate body attribute. You always use your own body.

Don't add a box to your condition modifier. (I'm keeping condition monitors at 10 boxes always)

Have an armour of 2 for free to make up for the condition monitor box.

Okay maybe it's not so odd ...

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 23 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

Limbs are pretty clear in the sourcebook imo.

First off, you can't have a enchancment greater then 3 without a torso.

So in answer to your first few questions.
up to +3 bod/agi/str or +7 if you have a torso.

Now, as to how many "slots" every limb has capacity.

Arms have 15 capacity, every enchancment level takes one capacity, armour two capacity per level (starting to looked balanced armour wise vs stats)

4) Extra damage boxes. 1/limb. What about torso and skull? One for each of those?

Unless stated otherwise, it's one (not stated otherwise that I know of)

I personally, and many I know have agreed that the Torso and skull do not get any stat other then body/armour since as shells and not really a limb they have no use of the stat.

The only things overlooked really is the racial limbs stuff. I'd agree with using current rules and just modify limbs how they did in sr3. IE str is 5 by default for orks/dwarves, and trolls get a default of 8? I wouldn't increase anything arm wise for the elves, them daisy munchers got life good enough as is =p

And damage modifiers to unarmed attacks.

I like having the seperate body attribute, it's great stuff!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.