IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do we do we make two-weapon fighting matter?
emo samurai
post Dec 23 2005, 02:23 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

If dice pools are split up, then how does it help you in any way to have two weapons?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
boskop-albatros
post Dec 23 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,827

only thing I can think of is to wait till you build your skill up and when it is high enough you just have extra-dice to distribute

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Dec 23 2005, 03:09 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

[edit] eh, never mind

+Quote Post
boskop-albatros
post Dec 23 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,827

and just remember Acid, RoadFlares/BlowTorches, Shanks, PepperSpray/MACE
Also is it possible to have PepperSpray/MACE intergrated into a Cyberarm?

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 23 2005, 05:39 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

I have a question, if you have a skill recorder does it add a dice to each pool?

+Quote Post
Gothic Rose
post Dec 23 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,803

Actually, that's a good point. If you split your pool, do Dice Pool modifiers then apply to both? If so, it's not quite so bad.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 23 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

Dice Pool Modifiers are applied after splitting your Dice Pool (p. 141). So, yes, anything modifying your pool applies to both parts.

The german errata (i'm still waiting for the english version of this), howsoever, changed the description of the Reflex Recorder. It now adds to the skill directly, and doesn't provide bonus dice. Thus it falls under the skill cap, and will be splitted with your dice pool.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 23 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

Penalties apply, too. So TWF while blind is just nigh-impossible.

You'd think it'd be actually more effective, what with twice the flailing going on.

+Quote Post
ascendance
post Dec 23 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 7,754

QUOTE (emo samurai)
If dice pools are split up, then how does it help you in any way to have two weapons?

You use single shot weapons like the big-ass revolver, and just do one shot with each weapon per action phase.

+Quote Post
Azralon
post Dec 23 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,773

QUOTE (emo samurai @ Dec 22 2005, 10:23 PM)

Your base damage can be applied more often, provided you're hitting your targets.

Situation #1: Bob shoots Steve once with 4 net hits. Steve takes (Base Damage)+4 damage.

Situation #2: Bob shoots Steve twice with 1 net hit each. Steve takes (Base Damage)+1, then he takes another dose of (Base Damage)+1.

It's only particularly useful when your base damage is significant and you have enough pool to get at least one net hit on each shot.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Dec 23 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Deadly combo is the hidden gun arm slides. Arm yourself as a free action. Two weapon fighting allows a shot with each gun on a Simple Action...thus SA pistols have 2 shots each(4 shots total). Sure, you'll get higher damage straigh up with one weapon, but again, having to dodge(and soak), Base Damage or Base Damage +1 or so FOUR times is pretty rough.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 23 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

You use single shot weapons like the big-ass revolver, and just do one shot with each weapon per action phase

That's one way ... we still discuss how smartlink works in this special case. Current thinking ist, you need to take a free action to switch smartlink to the other weapon.
Of course you could alwys use use smartlink on the same weapon - so one shot would have a bonus, the other wouldn't.
We are discussing if you could have smartlink active on both - since you don't use two guns at the same time (you first fire one, in the next action the other). One crosshair might have another color, so you don't get confused ;).

Using two semiautomatics has other advantages, so your target is likely get hit twice. They have to resist damage twice, if you are good enough to score that one hit you need... and don't forget that for every shot, the opponent gets a -1 modifier on his defense roll .. so if you shoot the same target 4 times, he gets 0/-1/-2/-3 modifiers.

Against weak goons, you might even down a lot of them per turn, but remember the -2 modifier per additional target ...

Could even work with two SMG, if enough recoil is compensated...

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 23 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Has any noticed that no one who actually knows what they're doing IRL uses two guns? You never see SWAT team guys breaking into a house with two SMG's, etc. It's only in make believe land that it's effective. The best reason to carry two guns is to save time on reloading.

My point is, I think it's a good thing that they basically made two gun fighting useless.

+Quote Post
redwulf25_ci
post Dec 23 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 8,075

QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Has any noticed that no one who actually knows what they're doing IRL uses two guns? You never see SWAT team guys breaking into a house with two SMG's, etc. It's only in make believe land that it's effective. The best reason to carry two guns is to save time on reloading.

My point is, I think it's a good thing that they basically made two gun fighting useless.

But what about two blade fighting (say a mono-katana and a mono-knife). As someone who has done SCA fencing and authorized in sword and dagger two handed melee fighting is not as dificult as most RPG systems make it sound (once you're trained anyway).

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 23 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Maybe do the same as for guns. This could make it much more dangerous to use monowhips, since there is a higher chance of glitching.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Dec 23 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

QUOTE (redwulf25_ci)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Dec 23 2005, 04:26 PM)
Has any noticed that no one who actually knows what they're doing IRL uses two guns?  You never see SWAT team guys breaking into a house with two SMG's, etc.  It's only in make believe land that it's effective.  The best reason to carry two guns is to save time on reloading.

But what about two blade fighting (say a mono-katana and a mono-knife). As someone who has done SCA fencing and authorized in sword and dagger two handed melee fighting is not as dificult as most RPG systems make it sound (once you're trained anyway).

I was a combat fencer myself and IMO the time spent on 2-weapon fencing is often better spent on improving single-blade combat. The only exception to that is when fighting multiple opponents where your attention is already split. Even in a fair fight (say 2 on 2), the ability to simultaneously threaten both foes or defend against them does change the odds.

I'd say the best you can do is either a) split dice pools and evaluate each weapon, trading success with one for increased odds of success with both or b) allow it to provide a bonus to parrying.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Dec 23 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

I dont mind splitting dice pools, I just wish it was splitting pools after all the mods and letting things like smartgun links work. As is it feels weaker than just using one gun, and this is after spending points on ambidexterity to make it a feasible option. If your going to spend points it should at the very least be an equal option.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Dec 23 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Bearclaw)

2 points
1. Most those guys like the swat teams haven't speant 5 points on ambidexterity
2. I suspect most games aren't trying to model reality, but more of an aciton movie reality.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 23 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #19

Running Target

But, it is feasible - at least against foes that aren't full body armored Trolls.

Or did i miss something (look at my previous post above) ?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 23 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #20

Dragon

SR is NOT in any way modeled on reality. Except in the rare case that it would allow us to make characters stronger.

+Quote Post
Vaevictis
post Dec 23 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,441

Part of the problem is that the game very poorly models reach because it assumes that reach is always an advantage. Sometimes it's a marked disadvantage. Imagine trying to use a polearm on someone grappling you. The guy grappling has a big advantage at that point. IMO, there really should be a "close" maneuver available which ends up inverting reach bonuses (+2=-2, for example). Wielding two weapons with different reaches could address this (sword+dagger, for example); you end up using the more favorable of the reach bonuses, basically.

Another point is the fact that you can parry with one weapon while engaging with the other. I would argue that an individual wielding two weapons should get at least part of the full-defense parry bonus without actually having to commit to full defense. (Personally, I revile the shield-as-armor behavior (when in melee). In melee, it's a parrying device, not armor. In melee, it should add dice to your parry action, not your armor).

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Dec 23 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Part of the problem is that the game very poorly models reach because it assumes that reach is always an advantage. Sometimes it's a marked disadvantage. Imagine trying to use a polearm on someone grappling you. The guy grappling has a big advantage at that point. IMO, there really should be a "close" maneuver available which ends up inverting reach bonuses (+2=-2, for example). Wielding two weapons with different reaches could address this (sword+dagger, for example); you end up using the more favorable of the reach bonuses, basically.

Another point is the fact that you can parry with one weapon while engaging with the other. I would argue that an individual wielding two weapons should get at least part of the full-defense parry bonus without actually having to commit to full defense. (Personally, I revile the shield-as-armor behavior (when in melee). In melee, it's a parrying device, not armor. In melee, it should add dice to your parry action, not your armor).

I played a game that had rules like that. I can't remember the name of the game but basically if you had a reach 3 weapon and your opponent had a reach 1 weapon at the start of the fight you were at +2 to hit he was at -2 to hit, if your oponent scored a hit on you he got inside your reach and the pnealties were reversed. While it made more sense it just became a pain in the ass with all the constant modifier changes and we just dropped reach as a rule.

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Dec 23 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Butterblume)
But, it is feasible - at least against foes that aren't full body armored Trolls.

Or did i miss something (look at my previous post above) ?

no i agree its feasible, I just find it to be a slightly weaker option in most cases. I think if its something you spend points on(ambidex) then it should be an equal option not slightly weaker.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 24 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #24

Running Target

This is the point where we should crunch some numbers :D .

I probably will, after christmas... this year i am the host (for the first time) of the family christmas event (and our christmas is from the 24th to the 26th ...).

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Dec 24 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

I'll not that gyroharnesses no longer inflict penalties in melee.

How do you know that the SWAT teams don't duel weild SMGs? If memory serves, the main reasons to avoid doing so is because you handle recoil poorly, and because you have difficulty lining up the sights properly. The former is solved with a gyroharness, the latter with Smartlinks.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.