Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Edition Shock, or: "Where has all the Matrix Gone?"
Fix-it
post Dec 28 2005, 05:44 AM
Post #1

Creating a god with his own hands

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,364

So.... I finally got some cash this christmas, and decided it was worth it to download SR4 from battlecorps in PDF format. Might as well anyway as my group is getting back together over the xmas break in a few days, and one has picked up the new book. So I'm on page 41 and

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BEAUTIFUL MATRIX??????

You've blended the digital and meat worlds... combining them together with your PANs and Dots, and AROs...

its... its... its...Mainstream :frown:

AAAAAAAUUUUGHHH......

Thus I now have another addition to my sig. That is all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 28 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Read System Failure yet, Fix-It?

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 28 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Read System Failure yet, Fix-It?

No. Just got the general overview in the history section. And after that, I'm not sure I want to. :(

+Quote Post
Liper
post Dec 28 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,885

it's there, there is a emphasis on the AR, because it's that new shiney thing, but VR will still own the crap out of a meatbod person in the virtual world.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 28 2005, 06:57 AM
Post #5

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Personally, I wish they had stuck to unique terms. The Shadowrun Matrix lingo now looks suspiciously like the WinXP user's manual.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Dec 28 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Cain)
Personally, I wish they had stuck to unique terms. The Shadowrun Matrix lingo now looks suspiciously like the WinXP user's manual.

Don’t worry, the mainstream operating systems in SR 4 has just as many security holes as WindowsXP so hackers can still have fun. ^__^

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 28 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #7

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

And you now need to do more than buy computer skill and pry a deck from cold, carpal tunnel syndrome-ridden hands in order to be a decker - you need more skills, creating a stronger entry barrier.

The new terminology is actually an improvement. Yes, XP users might get the new system. They might even learn that a pristine OS installation might not be that safe a storage for their data, and that they´d better go off and encrypt their WLAN...

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Dec 28 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (Fix-it)
Thus I now have another addition to my sig. That is all.

It's spelled carpal btw...

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 29 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #9

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

The new terminology is actually an improvement. Yes, XP users might get the new system. They might even learn that a pristine OS installation might not be that safe a storage for their data, and that they´d better go off and encrypt their WLAN...

You'd probably be surprised how many XP users run with with the pristine OS. My friend spent many a day "borrowing" bandwith from his neightbor with an unsecured wireless network. Heck, I'm running with the straight install of XP; I have no idea how to encrypt anything.

Honestly, all the terminology changes did was rob Shadowrun of some of its uniqueness. Pretty much, only computer geeks will really dig the new terms, and they're probably smart enough to figure out unique terms as well.

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 8,110

/me like Decker over Hacker

I know, I know; there isnt any deck around anymore... but still, I'm kinda nostalgic. Please, dont comme up with 'Paner' or 'Commer'....

Altho... a comm geared-up for hacking could easily still be called a Deck.. hence, Decker could still ba an apropriate term.

And if memory serves me well, Steve Jackson had some trouble in the begining because de FBI thought he was doiing a Haking-How-To instead of a game, and he got all his computers took by FBI agents. Altho Shadowrun is using modern-termenology, for simplicity'sake and appealing to new players, I dont think they will go over-board and do a rip-off of the WinXP'manual.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 29 2005, 05:21 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Ryu)
They might even learn that a pristine OS installation might not be that safe a storage for their data, and that they´d better go off and encrypt their WLAN...

bwhahaha... modern wireless encryption is a joke.

You'd probably be surprised how many XP users run with with the pristine OS.

almost all of them. it's quite sad.

My friend spent many a day "borrowing" bandwith from his neightbor with an unsecured wireless network. Heck, I'm running with the straight install of XP; I have no idea how to encrypt anything.

you don't need encryption, it's really a second line of defense. what you need is a decent firewall (EG, not a windows one.)

Honestly, all the terminology changes did was rob Shadowrun of some of its uniqueness. Pretty much, only computer geeks will really dig the new terms,.

or they'll hate them for being totally lame...

anyway... reading through the combat rules, I see they simplified them a bit, (especially shotguns, thank god. You needed calculus for that in 3rd)
Dead man's trigger is kind of nifty...

+Quote Post
boskop-albatros
post Dec 29 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,827

The big future issue is going to be though if Resonnence is the Matrix version of Mana :cyber:

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 29 2005, 06:15 AM
Post #13

speaking of that.... why the hell does cyberware have a negative influence on resonance????

I mean, duh. If anything, I would expect technomancers to get extra functionality out of cyberware, because of thier in-tune-ness with everything electronic.

IMHO, I think technomancers should treat all cyberware as one grade above it's actual for calculating essence/resonance loss.

+Quote Post
boskop-albatros
post Dec 29 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,827

good point but the thing is--there has to be a way that Resonnece can be added to cyberware, cyberware from the beginning doesn't have Resonnece

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 29 2005, 06:30 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

why the hell does cyberware have a negative influence on resonance????

Why does your radio get worse reception when I put it next to an active Microwave Oven? They both run on electromagnetic waves!

Technomancers have wireless communications that are generated and received by their entire body. If you chop pieces out of their body and replace it with something else, the device doesn't work as well. You're lucky it works at all.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 29 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #16

Nicely put, frank. I didn't think of it that way.

perhaps a metamagic technique, then? (Do they still have them? haven't read that part yet.)

heh. or a peice of bioware that acts as an antennae.

or maybe a technique that allows you to use other people as a signal booster, while giving them a mild electric shock. :D
"Hey Roy, c'mere for a second..." *zzzt* :eek:

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 29 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

technomancers can learn to adapt their body to create radio waves, but they can't adjust to having cyberware?

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 29 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

Yes.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 29 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

technomancers can learn to adapt their body to create radio waves, but they can't adjust to having cyberware?

Well, with levels of submersion they can increase their maximum resonance, so actually they can learn to adapt to having parts of their body replaced, it just requires Karma. And learning.

Having their body interact with remote devices is something that in many cases "just happens" to a technomancer. They get up one morning and "just know" that the toaster is set to 11. Then they turn on the trid. Then they notice that the remote is still on the table.

So they don't necessarily know what parts they need to interact with what parts of the electronic world. And they don't need to know as long as they leave it alone. But once they break open the remote and start putting things in it, it stops working as well, and to fix it they need to get an understanding of how it works.

As long as the system is functioning at 100%, they don't need to have any understanding at all to keep it working. Even your grnadmother can run a Windows box if it doesn't have any spyware on it. Once there's stuff on the machine that isn't supposed to be there, it takes a deeper understanding of the whole process to get it working again.

---

Of course, it might also just be Magic, there's no way to know at this point. But the basic concept that replacing parts of your body makes your resonance work poorly until you spend a whole lot of effort researching your own resonance abilities actually makes a lot more sense for Technomancers than it ever did for magicians.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #20

Target

I was wondering:

I know thechnomancers arised since the matrix crash from system failure.

But I'm not too aware as to what happened with Otaku. Where they scraped from Canon, or, where they all in fact Thechnomancers in the begining? If not, is ALL Otakus switched or evolved to Technomancer or only a bunch and the others suffered from fading?

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 29 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Well, with levels of submersion they can increase their maximum resonance, so actually they can learn to adapt to having parts of their body replaced, it just requires Karma. And learning.

Well, in a way. Implants still reduce the resonance attribute, no matter how many submersion grades the technomancer has.

So, yes a technomancer can regain the lost "power", but his ability still suffers. He could be far stronger, if he hadn't had to "relearn" stuff he'd already known.
But that may just be another pov. :)

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 30 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #22

Target

like readaptation.
I mean; if you were to suffer a car crash and your legs suffers from it, you might have to run throug readaptation, to re-learn what you knew, of course with some effort you'll be able to be your old self again, and if you continu you'll ba able to surpass your old limitations.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 30 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i think you're better off with the magic explanation, FrankTrollman. i mean, i can maybe buy wired reflexes and whatnot screwing with a technomancer's abilities, but what about bone lacing? (to be fair, bone lacing has always been the bane of attempts to explain anything essence-related.)

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 30 2005, 01:04 AM
Post #24

Target

I dont think so, I mean:
you got plastic or metal into your bones! When you break abone it will eventually heal (lack of other synonym) itself. I can clearly picture laced bones to have a harder time achiving that.

But the question arise when we are talking about bioware cloned from the body, that part, I have problem with.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 30 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Actually, while Bone Lacing is the bane of explaning Essence Loss for magic, there's no problem at all explaining why that would hurt Resonance. Your bones are part of the whole gestalt that broadcasts/receives wireless communication. Replacing your bones with something that is either more or less conductive would screw up the pattern generation.

That's part of why I said that subjecting Technomancers to scientific thought actually works much better than applying close scrutiny to magic.

-Frank

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.