Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's a monosword?
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

I know what monomolecular wire is. Does a monosword have monomolecular wire along an edge? And if it does, why is it less effective than a normal, mundane katana?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,110

From what I can see in the book, Katana and monosword are the same (except for Avail and price). They are both Reach:1 DMG:((STR/2)+3)P AP:-1

And, yes, a monosword is a sword with a superfine monofilament wire attached to its edges.

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #3

Target

and the reason a Katana is as good as a monosword is beacause Katanas have a history of being the cool weapon of choice; its tradition. Because I'm pretty sure that monoswords should be better tahn katana... but then again, it is a widely known fact that katana can cut throug ANYTHING!

The question that rise from such fact is: what happen when 2katana strikes one-other? *pzitt*the universe cant stand such logical imposibilities and such destroy both blades :wobble:

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 29 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

bah, that's got nothing on the buttered bread tied butter side up to a cat and dropped paradox.

obviously, both katanas are chopped in half in that scenario.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #5

Dragon

The wielders then commit seppuku with their shattered swords.

+Quote Post
Tarko
post Dec 29 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #6

Target

*nod**nod*
the perpetual mouvement set-up, with the cat and peanut butter, of course. I bow before your wisdom :)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 29 2005, 01:54 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (emo samurai)
The wielders then commit seppuku with their shattered swords.

shattered? shattered?!

don't be ridiculous. as they were cut with a katana, they will naturally be cut, not shattered. the cut will be extremely clean, with not even a slight burr, let alone the jagged edges you would get from shattering it.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 02:36 AM
Post #8

Dragon

And if manga has anything to do with reality, you can decapitate someone with even a 2" stub of a blade.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Dec 29 2005, 05:27 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Perhaps they will exchange swords first so at least the _sword_ gets to kill the right guy...

But yeah, a Katana is little more than a high quality longsword.

+Quote Post
Nidhogg
post Dec 29 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,934

I would also like to point out that against an armored opponent, the katana is actualy inferior to the European longsword because the same process which makes the blade strong also makes it brittle. Not to mention the fact that the katana is only one edged, and that the hilt may as well not even be there. Frankly, I don't see where the western idea of the katana as the uber-sword came from- the weapon's only purpose is to eviscerate unarmored opponents, and beyond that role is actualy very much inferior to Western blades.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 29 2005, 05:44 AM
Post #11

Dragon

Katanas look cool. Plus, like everything else Asian, it has that "mystical Fu Manchu" factor. Because Americans are stupid.

+Quote Post
Cold-Dragon
post Dec 29 2005, 05:54 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,780

It's like putting a cowboy movie in Japan - it makes people say ooooh and aaaah, and oogle the shiny pistol and get an Indian friend (who's really Native American or similar) and call him Tonto.

it's silly social fads that live long. But there is a twisted logic behind the katana I think.

If you can truly strike fast enough/hard enough, you could cut through many things. as long as you keep the power and don't tilt the blade, it'd keep going, etc, etc. The European sword wasn't designed with that in mind, it's just very good at stabbing, but you can hack a person up to a point if they aren't well armored.

that's just a theory, however.

+Quote Post
Nidhogg
post Dec 29 2005, 05:57 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Given, but as a huge buff of ancient weaponry, I felt the need to point out easily the most annoying fallacy about swords that the western world accepts.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 29 2005, 06:33 AM
Post #14

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Well, first off: If by European sword, we're talking about the traditional Longsword/Broadsword, then they aren't just good at stabbing. They can be used for both stabbing and slashing rather effectively.

Second: The japanese sword is not "brittle". I think you were meaning to say that it is not made to be flexible like a lot of western swords are. A katana is a very stiff blade, but it is not brittle. Most likely, if you bent the blade it would resist bending, but once bent, would stay bent.

+Quote Post
Oracle
post Dec 29 2005, 06:38 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Earth - Europe - AGS - Norddeutscher Bund - Hannover
Member No.: 7,624

QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Dec 29 2005, 06:27 AM)
But yeah, a Katana is little more than a high quality longsword.

Urghs. No, not at all. A Katana is meant to cause injury by cutting. A broadsword, as nearly all large European edged weapons, causes injury mainly by momentum. (Hope I did get the english terms right.) It is a fact that the capabilities of Asian weapons and martial arts are often over-exaggerated in western popular culture. The training of a medieval knight wasn't all that different to that of a samurai. Even the unarmed combat techniques where very similar. But a samurai would have had a hard time cutting through infantry plate mail, while a knight would have crushed a samurai armor like paper with his broadsword.

+Quote Post
Nidhogg
post Dec 29 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Second: The japanese sword is not "brittle". I think you were meaning to say that it is not made to be flexible like a lot of western swords are. A katana is a very stiff blade, but it is not brittle. Most likely, if you bent the blade it would resist bending, but once bent, would stay bent.

Err, you're right, brittle was altogether the wrong word. I was not trying to imply that a katana would shatter if you hit it hard enough :P .

My point was that while the blade is more durable, it is also more likely to snap or warp to the point of uselessness under duress than the more malliable European counterparts (which still carried a stabbing point even if the blade dulled). While the katana may *seem* more durable, the individual blade probably saw less practical use than, say, a comperable French or Spanish blade.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 29 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #17

Resident Legionnaire

The European blade could be picked up and used more readily by the average soldier if need be due to it's flexibility as well as it's other intrinsic characteristics.

Cutting with a japanese sword is very much dependant on technique, and unlike the european blade (to a reasonable degree), poor technique could by itself cause one of the warps you mention.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 29 2005, 08:57 AM
Post #18

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Stupid katanophiles. *shakes his fist* Too bad they didn't fix that little fanboyism game stat for SR4.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 29 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #19

Resident Legionnaire

It's all about the 80's baby. 8)

+Quote Post
Nidhogg
post Dec 29 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

I've always added half again as much impact armor versus katanas to nerf them a bit.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Dec 29 2005, 10:31 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

it is a widely known fact that katana can cut throug ANYTHING!

but only if weilded correctly. Botch, and no karma to save, wave good bye to that "traditional" weapon.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 29 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #22

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

with a broadsword, it's power comes through whether or not it penetrates the armor. You can smack a gu in plate on the arm and not draw blood, but his arm is likely going to be broken. A lot of that is because of the momentum, where the katana is more of a cutter than a cleaver.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Dec 29 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Also, I think katanas are considered two-handed weapons in shadowrun, whereas the monosword is one-handed, whatever difference that might make.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 29 2005, 01:21 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
You can smack a gu in plate on the arm and not draw blood, but his arm is likely going to be broken.

Relatively speaking, considering also the fighting techniques employed with High/Late Medieval Western European swords and katanas against armored opponents, the former might be more likely to cause significant blunt trauma through armor, but I do not think it would have been a likely occurrence even then for a one-handed sword to have caused broken bones through a decent suit of full plate armor. It could have happened, but it would've been far from likely.

I would also like to point out that medieval European swordmanship by no means relied on hacking and using "momentum" to crush through an opponent. Against lightly armored or unarmored opponents, you would have seen a lot of cuts not all that dissimilar from what people were doing in Japan at the time. You would be an idiot to simply hack at an unarmored opponent with a sword which has some sort of sharp edge when a slash creates wounds far more severe.

QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Also, I think katanas are considered two-handed weapons in shadowrun, whereas the monosword is one-handed, whatever difference that might make.

That was true in SR3, at least, where it actually made a big difference: when allowed, wielding a one-handed weapon in two hands gave you +1 Power. Oddly enough, just about everyone ignored it and basically house ruled it so that katanas really did have a straight +1 Power bonus over normal swords and were 1-handed weapons.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Dec 29 2005, 01:24 PM

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Dec 29 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

Yeah, it is unfortunate the amount of katana love that gets seen. But we will live with it.

Vs modern armor? I am not sure if the katana would fare as badly as I don't know as much about it.

What I do know is that longswords are crazy deadly and there are a great many techniques and uses put to them. Lots of short half hand stabs and such.

Also, full plate was a truly nightmarish thing to be up against. It did not slow a person down that much (you can turn a cartwheel in it with a little training) and it made you virtually immune to all small arms. Heck even bows and crossbows wouldn't penetrate it as it got more advanced. Even the early musket rounds were being stopped by the full plate of the period.

Full plate armor in games is seriously underestimated because to give it the correct stats would be horrible from a game balance perspective.

Of course, this is shadowrun, which guns can punch through armor like paper anyways, so yeah.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.