Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Born to Run novel, I don't get it
Cheops
post Dec 29 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 392

Just got it on Monday and finished it this morning. Very short read. Wasn't too bad. Definitely went back to the punkish roots of cyberpunk. A good primer manual for getting people interested in general. Not worth the $10+sales tax canadian that I spent but Chapters has very loose return policies so I'm not overly concerned.

What I don't get is why it is set in SR3? Maybe this is why I work in baseball and not game development but it seems like you'd want your supporting products to support your main product. I.e. the new edition you just released. The world presented in this book and the world presented in SR4 are different enough to cause problems. I was expecting a book that'd give an idea of the flavor that FanPro was going with for AR but alas! Not so. Instead it's set sometime in early 2060 (not 2053 like the back of the book says unless Fuchi happened to suddenly collapse earlier than in the rpg). Probably has to do with the fact that it was released so fast that the author didn't have time to work with the new material. Oh well...mine is going back and will more than likely be sent back to the publisher.

Don't get me wrong...it's a good read if you set aside a whole afternoon or day to read it. I'd recomend getting it from the library however.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Question Man
post Dec 29 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,722

Too be honest I did not think it was worthy of Steve Kenson. His older work was far superior to this. "Born to Run" was read in a day and given to the Used Book Store the next and I still have all the Shadowrun Novels save one or two.

To echo Cheops reply "Why was it set in 3rd Edition" Why did we not see the much vaunted 4th Edition novel.

I am sorry Steve, but you can do so much better. When the next book comes out it better be set in the 4th Edition Timeline. Otherwise it is a library book for me.

Please take your time and do a great job.

QM

+Quote Post
Adam
post Dec 29 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

It's a WizKids novel, not a FanPro novel; they originally contracted it to support the Shadowrun Duels game line, and ended up sitting on it for awhile after Duels was cancelled. WizKids has six novels on the current contract with ROC, and it's my understanding that after those six, if they continue doing novels, they'll be pushing the timeline up to the 2070s.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Dec 29 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

Yeah i'm looking forward to the 4th ed novels.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Dec 29 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I'd ahave to agree, but not on the lesser-expectations of Mr. Kenson's writing. This novel was intended to introduce new people the the SR Duels game, and I think it's been slightly retooled to act as a lead-in to future novels. If nothing else, it's still better than no books at all.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Dec 29 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

What Adam said is right on the money, but let me add a little more. Due to the different publishing schedules of novels and games (and other factors), my book (upcoming SR novel #4, Drops of Corruption) was underway before SR4 was even announced. The completed manuscript, with revisions, was submitted to WizKids in early August 2005, before the release of S4 at GenCon. So as you can guess, moving the book forward to the SR4 timeline would have been tricky to say the least.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 30 2005, 05:52 AM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

If only it included Drop Bears. :)

+Quote Post
Dale
post Dec 30 2005, 06:01 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,088

Noooo!

:eek:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Dec 30 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
If only it included Drop Bears. :)

That would be an awesome book. :D

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Dec 30 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Dec 29 2005, 06:35 PM)
my book (upcoming SR novel #4, Drops of Corruption)

Hmmm, Drops of Corruption. Sounds like it WILL have Drop Bears. Welcome to the conspiracy!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Dec 30 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #11

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

Sometimes it's just too easy to convert new followers :D

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Dec 30 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

It sucked.

The main character show up and within a day or so is trusted by hard core shadowrunners? Yea, that was a good one. Let's put our neck on the line ont he word of someone who just breezed into the city.Yea good idea.

And whole idea that the Johnson should be up forth in what they want. Bull! Johnsons use shadowrunners to bad things.That is what shadow runners do.BAD THINGS. IF there wasn't a hidden motive they could higher in company men to do the job.

Hell Sleeper Cell would be a batter introduction to how to make a shadowrun team than this book.

+Quote Post
mattness pl
post Jan 30 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,342

QUOTE (JM Hardy)
Due to the different publishing schedules of novels and games (and other factors), my book (upcoming SR novel #4, Drops of Corruption) was underway before SR4 was even announced. The completed manuscript, with revisions, was submitted to WizKids in early August 2005, before the release of S4 at GenCon. So as you can guess, moving the book forward to the SR4 timeline would have been tricky to say the least.

Jason H.

According to this info, your book wil be published May 2006.
Sorry, Jason :( .

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Jan 30 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #14

Karma Police

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,505

Born to Run is a very bad novel. But to it's defense, it isn't a proper Shadowrun novel—it's a book about toys. That's right, all the characters are based off of action figures. It's also got a lot of very cheezy game world info tucked in that just doesn't fit. These things are no faults of Kenson's. Other than having a bit poor taste in general (not refering to sexual orientation here), he's a pretty good writer for this genre. I liked Burning Time. Kenson does internal monologues and love affairs really good, and the whole intrigue is involving and inventive. It's propably the best Shadowrun novel I've read since Nigel Findley. Examples of bad taste would be things like ally spirit motorcycle and the rigger who's really magicly active and gets her cyber eyes regrown by SURGE... It's mostly about magic. That's fine until you realize he always writes mostly about the magical aspects. Heck, Talon has even channeled Lofwyr.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jan 30 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #15

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Jesus, I nearly blew a blood vessel. Why don't you just shoot me in the face and be done with it?

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 30 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

The second novel, Poison Agendas, is out & I picked up my copy 3 days ago. I'll post a review when I'm finished reading it.....in about 2 weeks or so.

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Jan 31 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (mattness pl)
According to this info, your book wil be published May 2006.
Sorry, Jason :( .

Thanks for the sentiment, but I've known for a while that May 2006 was the planned publication date. I submitted it last August, but after that it had to go through the Roc editors, get typeset, get a cover, etc. etc., meaning it takes a while to actually come out in print. That's just the way book publishing works.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jan 31 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #18

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Eh, it was ok. But I also havent read any of the Sr novels before. Mostly I dug on the 'instructing magic' bit.
Once I got done with that, I was much happier reading the 'bonus' novellet in the back of the Sr4 Le. But I also love to see peoples soul getting crushed.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jan 31 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Hmm, I remember reading a lot of the SR novels. My favorite one was actually the one with the vampires, the troll with the minigun, and the lesbian physad.

I actually emailed that author and complemented him, and he replied!

Can't remember the title though...it was the one about experimental vampires. The Terminus Experiment?

I also remember reading a bunch of Lisa Smedman, but they were, you know, character orientated, instead of troll minigun-orientated. :P

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 31 2006, 03:19 AM
Post #20

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (mintcar)
Born to Run is a very bad novel. But to it's defense, it isn't a proper Shadowrun novel—it's a book about toys. That's right, all the characters are based off of action figures.

Being about toys isn't an excuse. Marvel published some fragging brilliant GI Joe comics back in the day.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 31 2006, 03:29 AM
Post #21

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Figured that the runners rolled low for their Etiquette that day. You know, sometimes, the dice just says that the hardcore guys act atypically.

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Feb 1 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

Geez, I read both of the new ones and they weren't THAT bad. The biggest downside I see is that they were too short. You don't learn enough about the characters to care about them. They need more detail.
Also, there were a few screw ups, namely calling Seattle a city and Lindstrom a Mayor, Oops.
I like that it's set in SR3 personally, but I'm a grizzled old man in a 25 year old body. I don't like change and I hate new fanggled gagets.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Feb 1 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #23

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

In 2053, Lindstrom was a mayor, and Seattle is a city. It's also the name of the city-state metroplex.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 2 2006, 06:10 AM
Post #24

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

really, i was dissapointed. I've liked other stuff that Kenson put out, and this one, not so much. The visualization that he gave to developing spellcasting and defense was interesting. The Epilogue was neat. As for the rest, if it wasn't a SR novel, I would not have bought it, much less go for the sequel. As it is, I'll probably buy the sequel, even though it will most likely be as dissapointing as the first, if for no other reason than to sayt o the publishers "Yes, we like SR novels, print some more please." Hopefully they won't think it means that it's ok to keep publishing this kind of dross though.

I've liked Kenson's stuff that he's written, even if Talon does tend to get over the top in power and relations at times. It reminds me a bit of games. I've seen plenty of games where runners do things that, if they told other people, they would just roll their eyes and go "riiiiight". Harlequin's Back for example, would certainly fall in to this category, if it wasn't a published adventure. "What's that you say? You ran an astral quest on behalf of Harlequin, where he got the crap kicked out of him, but you lived, and saved the world? Riiiight...." So yeah, I can take some of the things with a grain of salt. The decker wanting a sex change to be able to date Talon is a bit wierd, but wierder things have happened.

As for the acutal meat and drink of the novel, for one, I disliked the simplicity of it all. For example, the second run on the truck, they decide to do it, then they go do it. THat simple. Wanna convince a team of runners to do something? Simple, jsut be a newbie runner and appeal to their inner greed/pride/sense of revenge. I REALLY disliked how he portrayed Green Lucifer though. GL has always been one of my favorie characters in SR, and he just killed him IMO. Orion was a bit of a dope. I really would have liked to see some of Lord Torgo as well. OR perhaps seen some ramifications of dealing the Spikes against the Ancients. Oh well.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Feb 2 2006, 07:27 AM
Post #25

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

QUOTE (SL James)
Jesus, I nearly blew a blood vessel. Why don't you just shoot me in the face and be done with it?

Look. He may be responsible for some unfortunate turns in the game towards the end of 3:rd edition. The way I see it he would propably like nothing more than to have SR advance to ED level magic right away. Fortunatly he doesn't have that much power over the game's development. Still, your unreasonable hate is just the dark side talking ;) .

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.