Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 30 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

In SR3, the value of alchemically useful Gold was 1 :nuyen: a gram (see p. 40 and 170, MitS), which indicates that the value of "normal" gold was even less. Presumably, someone found a huge supply of gold soemwhere between now and 2063, causing the value to fall down to that of milk, cheese, or any other commodity.

Yeppers, that's 10,000 :nuyen: for 10 kg of alchemical gold.

-Frank

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Dec 30 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #3

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Yeppers, that's 10,000  for 10 kg of alchemical gold.

Unless Alchemical Gold is actually not pure enough to be measured by the standards as mundane gold.

I would say that that in it's radical form Gold probably meets the same standards, because the raw form is completely unprocessed and thus will have huge amounts of impurities.

Radical form weighs 100g and costs 40,000¥. Thus the 10kg example above would cost 4,000,000¥.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 30 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

One of the books mentioned that newly-awakened dragons and spirits with Wealth dropped enough precious metals and other valuables (e.g., diamonds) to significantly depress the market value.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 30 2005, 09:32 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,996

From the NYMEX

http://www.nymex.com/GC_spec.aspx

Gold Futures

Trading Unit

100 troy ounces.

Price Quotation

U.S. dollars and cents per troy ounce.

[snip]

Ok I won't paste the whole thing here, since this is not a board on trading commodity futures.

Short version 1 Gram = .03 Troy Ounces

Todays Closing for gold was $517.10 per Troy Ounce or $17236.66
the Nuyen is around $5 so Gold should be about 3447.33 Nuyen per Gram.

So the SR value of Gold doesn't appear to have much bearing on reality.

However if you go back to the NYMEX page:

Gold futures contracts are also valuable trading tools for commercial producers and users of the metal. Commercial concentrations of gold are found in widely distributed areas: in association with ores of copper and lead, in quartz veins, in the gravel of stream beds, and with pyrites (iron sulfide). Seawater contains astonishing quantities of gold, but its recovery is not economical.

So perhaps recovering gold from seawater became economical at some point.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 30 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (SL James)
One of the books mentioned that newly-awakened dragons and spirits with Wealth dropped enough precious metals and other valuables (e.g., diamonds) to significantly depress the market value.

Yeah I remember that but for gold to drop to 1/3400th of it's present value is more like the bottom falling out of the market than a significant depression.

+Quote Post
SL James
post Dec 30 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #7

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Hey, no one ever said anything in SR had to make sense; especially not economics.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 30 2005, 09:53 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

So... how much gold and other stuff do you have to have to make 1 gram of orihalcum? Do you need to expend Karma?

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 30 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

As per Magic in the Shadows, you need one unit (100g) of the radicals of each of silver, copper, gold and mercury (thats 400g in total) to refine 10g of orichalcum(the exact amount varies, depending on the outcome of your Enchanting test). The process takes 28 days to complete.
No Karma required.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Dec 30 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (stevebugge)
Short version 1 Gram = .03 Troy Ounces

Todays Closing for gold was $517.10 per Troy Ounce or $17236.66
the Nuyen is around $5 so Gold should be about 3447.33 Nuyen per Gram.

Methinks you have done your math backwards.

If one Troy Ounce is $517.10, then the price of a single gram is $517.10 *(0.0325) = $16.81 per gram. Assuming you're still going with the $5 per 1:nuyen:, the price of gold has been cut, roughly, by a factor of 3, not 3400.

Considering some of hte science involved, and allowing for inflation at different rates between the tech sector and the precious metals sector, I don't think that's fantastically unreasonable.

Here's the stoichiometry:
$517.10/1 TO * 0.0325TO/1g, T.O. cancels out, and you get $/g

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 30 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #11

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I agree with The Dunner, because he used the word 'stoichiometry'.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 30 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

And i forgot, to make those radicals you need refined materials of the four metals, which each weight 5 Kilos, which must be made out of raw materials (10 Kilo the unit for metals) in a 28 day alchemical process.

So effectively, you need 10 Kilos of every Metal involved to produce 10g of Orichalkum.

QUOTE (McQuillan)
Unless Alchemical Gold is actually not pure enough to be measured by the standards as mundane gold.

It is mundane gold, it has to be made into refined gold to be magically usefull.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 30 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

I agree with the Dunner too actually because when I redid the math I came up with the exact same numbers. Not sure what I did the first time.

So the correct math:
1 gram is about $16.81 or 3.36 NuYen

Still talking around a 70% decline in the price

However if you consider gold was down around $300 as recently as 2002 then:

1 Gram is about $9.00 or 1.8 NuYen

And was trading around $260 in 1999-2000

1g at $7.80 or 1.56 NuYen

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Dec 30 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I agree with The Dunner, because he used the word 'stoichiometry'.

um whats that Stoich word mean?

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Dec 30 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Just ask the Wiki ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoichiometry

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 30 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Lofwyr dropped a nice chunk of gold on the market when he bought S-K.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 31 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #17

Dragon

I thought dragons valued their treasure hordes as much as their most wonderful memories, because to them, their treasures WERE their most wonderful memories.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 31 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #18

Dragon

Plus, I heard that the cost of gold is artificially high; the supply is controlled very tightly because the amount of gold is used up at a much lower rate than what it's mined at. Once the institutions that control the supply of gold collapse, the market would then be flooded.

+Quote Post
Butterblume
post Dec 31 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 8,081

I will tell you the secret truth: in 2070, gold will be worth its weight in gold, if not more :D

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Dec 31 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (emo samurai)
Plus, I heard that the cost of gold is artificially low; the supply is controlled very tightly because the amount of gold is used up at a much lower rate than what it's mined at. Once the institutions that control the supply of gold collapse, the market would then be flooded.

Do you mean artificially high?

The futures markets take in to account total supply, both available and still extractable (and the relative difficulty of extraction) the price on the NYMEX is reflective of what gold is worth at that moment. With Gold the supply is pretty much fixed it's demand that causes most of the price fluctuation unlike say Cattle Futures, Orange Juice Futures, or Wheat in which the supply can vary wildly from year to year while demand remains more or less constant.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 31 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #21

Dragon

Do you mean artificially high?

I'm such a stickler for intelligent use of language that I kick myself with a steel-toed boot whenever I make a mistake like that.

And as a side note, I don't really do that.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 31 2005, 03:50 AM
Post #22

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

One way or another, I'll bet the value skyrocketed when crash 2.0 hit.

+Quote Post
MaxMahem
post Dec 31 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,097

I wouldn't worry about its specific value (value per unit mass) to much unless there was specific reason to worry about the weight of gold that they had. If a player told me they wanted to convert so much of their wealth into gold I would make them find an appropriate broker, subtract 10%~15% of the amount as a brokrage fee, and have them mark it on there sheet. And then make evil plans to have their abode broken into. If it was during character creation I would shrug and say sure whatever, and ignore it.

If it the weight did come up during play (say they were stealing it from a vault or something, and need to know how much it weighed while trying to cart it away). I would just grab some numbers out of the sky, like say 10,000Y a pound, this is considerably higher than it's value today ~$8k a pound, but probably still short of what we reasonably might expect. It's price tends to rise with uncertiany, and so 2070 it's price is probably coming down after reaching a new all-time high after Crash 2.0. I would try and avoid letting players getting to much of it anyways. Gold is to valuable a resource to let players get there hands on in any kind of bulk. I suppose in 2070 it's all isotopicaly marked so it would be pretty hard to fence.

As for using it for fetishes and items and the like. I would just use the foci prices as a guidline and just wing-it. Gold might acount for say 25% of the cost of the foci. This would end up being a realitivly small (and to me uninteresting) amount. This should suffice until if/when Fan-pro publishes some more detailed foci rules, maybe in Street Magic.

-----

Hmm... thinking about it some more. I like my players to average about 10~20k per run, before expenses. Say a team of 5 players stole 50lbs of gold, a bulky enough quantity to be interesting (I forsee a footchase with such gold :D). That would be 500kY by my metric. Say they can fence it for 50% of it's value (reasonable enough), that would still be 50kY each, to much for my taste. Maybe they had to give half of there take up for the info to do the run? That would bring it down to just 25kY each, but there would be to much temptation to just take the money and run... I think it can work, but I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 31 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

half of the gold is fake. the equipment needed to figure out if it's fake or not is very bulky.

as such, when they grab it, it's half fake, half real... and they don't know which half is which. when the people who own the gold need real stuff, they just run it through the test (have it take maybe a minute or two... really frustrating for a shadowrun, but if you plan ahead and are getting the gold legitimately, it is likely that 2 minutes is not that big of a deal... )

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 31 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,665

Real gold has a specific gravity of 19.8 g/mL. The equipment needed to test the veracity of gold is a cup of water and a bathroom scale. This is neither bulky nor complicated.

Other things that are dense enough to be mistaken for gold have a tendency to be more expensive than gold. If someone wanted to make a Pyrite cover for an Osmium Ingot that's great. Fool's gold only fools fools.

-Frank

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.