Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruger Thunderbolts, Barrel Mounted Accessories
SRFinn
post Oct 2 2003, 02:36 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,669

A Ruger Thunderbolt is a burst fire only heavy pistol with a distinctive sound and some built in recoil compensation.

With that in mind, is there anything by the rules preventing a weaponsmith from putting a gas vent or sound suppressor on one? I can't find anything that disallows it... but the fact that they have that built in recoil reduction and the distinctive sound make those two accessories, in particular, sound a bit odd to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 2 2003, 02:44 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

It doesn't have built in recoil compensation. It simply fires so quickly that you don't get barrel rise until after the third bullet is out of the barrel. By the rules, you could add barren accesories (since it doesn't specificly say you can't, or even imply it). By the flavor... don't know.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Oct 2 2003, 03:00 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

It's entirely possible that the Thunderbolt is the only machine pistol on the market in it's caliber, thus the distinctive noise.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Oct 2 2003, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

It also fires faster than any other weapon of a similar calibur. I'd say the HV weapons have similarly distinctive sounds.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 2 2003, 06:08 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

As far as the rules go, there's nothing stopping you. In real life, you'd have trouble getting those to work with a gun that essentially performs like a caseless machine pistol.

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Oct 9 2003, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,188

One player in our group put vents and a silencer on her Thunderbolt. I felt kinda ripped off, it didn't feel like the gun should be modifiable like that.

But, an even better question is ... how many shots does the freaking thing fire per pull of the trigger? It's got a clip of 12, but the second shot adds more than 3 recoil. 3 bursts per clip? 4? 12????

PLUS, how much does hardened armor affect it? Since they don't tell you the bullets fired, but scale the damage for you, you can't determine the base damage per bullet.

Urg.

+Quote Post
Person 404
post Oct 9 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,696

Erm... the Thunderbolt fires normal, 3-round bursts, as do almost all burst-firing weapons in the game. This makes for 4 bursts per clip, and individual bullets doing 9M, same as most other heavy pistols.

+Quote Post
Kurb
post Oct 9 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,641

QUOTE (El_Machinae)
One player in our group put vents and a silencer on her Thunderbolt.

Wow how did she get it? I try to fight Lone Star so I can get one...also when I try to go through my fixer the GM doesn't allow it. :(

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 10 2003, 01:14 AM
Post #9

Runner

She got it by breaking the rules, I imagine. You either get the compensator or the suppressor, but you don't get both. That would make no sense in real life and breaks rules ingame.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Oct 10 2003, 01:30 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Although, technically, silencers would both quiet the weapon and counter the barrel lift. Of course, for that information, I credit Raygun.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 10 2003, 02:32 AM
Post #11

Runner

Careful. We gots rules and don't like you real life talk 'round here.

Seriously, whether a suppressor will absorb recoil energy or not, there is no way you can attach a compensator and a suppressor at the same time. They both get attached to the barrel, they both channel gas, and they both work differently. There's only so much room on a gun.

+Quote Post
Stonecougar
post Oct 12 2003, 08:33 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 1,816

And, to be perfectly honest, a compensator will, if anything, make the damn thing *louder* than before.

And it's not hard to get a Thunderbolt. Level 2 contacts at Lone Star should do it.

+Quote Post
Kurb
post Oct 12 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,641

QUOTE (Stonecougar)
And it's not hard to get a Thunderbolt. Level 2 contacts at Lone Star should do it.

If my dang GM would let me. I have a Lone Star Officer (@ lvl 2) and he won't give me one. Says that they inventory that crap.

+Quote Post
Halbmetallmensch
post Oct 12 2003, 02:02 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 114

QUOTE (Stonecougar)

Lone Star contacts? What for? After the first year of exclusive production for LS, the Thunderbolt went on the open market.

+Quote Post
Drain Brain
post Oct 12 2003, 04:57 PM
Post #15

The Sewer Jockey

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,197

But they'd still be more common there. Also I'd be willing to bet that Ruger makes far more efficient versions for LoneStar.

Think about it - one "official" version and one for the mass market.

Like the HK VP-70. The VP-70Z ("Zivilversion") was for civilians, and single shot. The VP-70M ("Militar") was for the military and came with a detachable stock and 3-round burst fire mode with a stupidly high cyclic rate of 2200 rpm.*

My advice to GM's - let them have what they want, but make their toys the "scaled down version" or the "cheap Made-In-Taiwan knock off version."

*Source

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 12 2003, 06:30 PM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

If your character has such a hard on to have one, ambush a 'Star.

Of course, be very very clear in what you cover and how you bury your tracks because Lone Star will be _very_ interested in finding all involved parties.

Or be a little more creative and raid the supply stores of Lone Star.

Given the degree of attention paid to these weapons, very few NPCs will want to be even peripherally involved in a stunt like either of the above.

-Siege

Edit: HK Mark 23 versus the Tactical.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Oct 12 2003, 06:45 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I think of Ruger Thunderbolts like the Police Interceptors. They're both made specifically for cops, but after a while they take them out of commission and sell them to the public.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 12 2003, 06:46 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Probably not. Vehicles are one thing. Weapons systems are another. I have _yet_ to see an auction of old police weaponry, body armor and gas masks.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 12 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

If you do, let me know?

~J

+Quote Post
El_Machinae
post Oct 12 2003, 11:31 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,188

The best way to get them is to steal them from someone who stole it from a Lone Star. All the benefit, less risk!

+Quote Post
Siege
post Oct 12 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #21

Dragon

I'll just point out that if the character in question is good (or crazy) enough to successfully lift one of these from a 'Star, you probably don't want to try your luck.

Just a thought.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Stonecougar
post Oct 13 2003, 09:40 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 1,816

Y'know, I've never understood what was so great about this gun anyway... I mean, it's only got effectively 4 shots, it's a cop magnet... I've never seen the need to have one.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 13 2003, 09:51 PM
Post #23

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I think of Ruger Thunderbolts like the Police Interceptors.
Better hope not, you can go order an interceptor edition of any of the cars we (LVMPD) use just by special ordering it. They are completely legal and available to the public, it's just that noone knows to ask. Retired service sidearms are the same way, they are sold used though. Anyone can buy them through a legitimate channel.

Of course, I do NOT treat thunderbolts the same way in SR. Lone Star doesn't share well in my game. :)

+Quote Post
Person 404
post Oct 13 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,696

Y'know, I've never understood what was so great about this gun anyway... I mean, it's only got effectively 4 shots, it's a cop magnet... I've never seen the need to have one.

It's only got 4 shots, but that effectively means 4 kills, since in my experience, in the hands of someone reasonably competent, whatever it gets pointed at dies. This doesn't extend to drones/vehicles, but pretty much everything else has...

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Oct 14 2003, 01:14 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I can get a police interceptor new? Does it come standard with that cool bumper thing on the front?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:57 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.