Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rescuing Leonardo.
emo samurai
post Dec 31 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,019

Hmm... Leonardo is trapped at the North Pole by Lofwyr. That right there is an AWESOME idea for a run. A very high-leveled run. I'm wondering who should pay for Leonardo's extraction, Leonardo himself with a cryptic message, a very desperate Renraku, or maybe a rival dragon. Perhaps Harlequin himself, assuming he actually has a relationship with Leonardo.

One of the biggest incentives would not be the actual pay itself but whatever technology Leonardo could offer the team's hacker and rigger; it will be, like, 500 years ahead of the newest comlink. Plus, he could give them diagrams worth insane amounts of money and the plans to the set of mainframes S-K has that monitors the entire matrix. I'm assuming those were made by Leonardo, since they're beyond SOTA and they were mentioned long after he was kidnapped. This would be awesome, and would be the run of a lifetime.

I'm also thinking of Lofwyr himself flying down to the North Pole just to prevent the extraction of a very valuable asset; that would be so sweet.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 31 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i would say Renraku is unlikely at best to rescue Leonardo.

considering he pretty much screwed them over mightily and left them to the corporate court and all, i would guess they are more than a little ticked off at him.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 31 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #3

Dragon

Yeah, but they need his research BADLY.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 31 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

They'd better, becuase once they get to the North Pole, Santa and his elven sweat shop are going to tell them that Leonardo is probably being held in Antarctica, not the North Pole.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 31 2005, 03:25 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

thank-you, renraku! but your mad inventor is in another castle!

+Quote Post
Nidhogg
post Dec 31 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,934

The Johnson should definately be an agent of Artificer. :vegm:

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 31 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I was thinking it would be more interesting to have Leo at the South Pole my self. Those nifty little pyramids to check out for one....

"maybe he's looking up some old relatives?"

hehe

incidentally, Santa should be a Player free spirit with the Wealth power. So imagine what may happen if bad little boys and girls come pokin' around his work shop w/ SMG's. :D

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 31 2005, 06:56 AM
Post #8

Dragon

Should the players stand and fight Lofwyr with, like, rail guns or something if he attacks, or should he run?

Wait, stupid question.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Dec 31 2005, 08:29 AM
Post #9

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

well.. that depends if the characters:
1_ have the cranial bomb or Borrowed Time flaws, because then they're already dead, so what the hell

2_ actually have something to mount a rail gun ON in the ARCTIC to fire at Lowfyr with

3) have a good enough sensorpackage and gunnery skill to actually have a prayer of hitting a flying target shooting once every two rounds (+4 for flying/running target vs Lowfyr's combat pool to dodge)

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Dec 31 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

ah to fight a great dragon, we would all be crushed.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 31 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

hmmm... let's see... necessary gear for fighting a great dragon...

well, assuming you've somehow managed to isolate said dragon (ie his personal army is not around), and you've somehow got some way of not getting murdered by the army of bound spirits he probably has ready at any given time, then i would say an extremely large number of people, standing in a very spread out formation, each using the heaviest gun they can get, with full Auto, shooting wide bursts.

and by biggest gun you can get, i'm not talking about the ones in the core rulebook... i'm talking about the kind that deal naval damage from SR3.

and by extremely large, i mean thousands at least. all of whom would have to have at least 3 IPs.

so, perhaps some crazy amazing drone army action could help you.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Dec 31 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #12

Dragon

They RUN. VERY FAST. Preferably in a nuke submarine.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Jan 2 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Somehow dupe Ehran and Harlequin into helping you, perhaps because "the enemy" might end up taking Leonardo.
(Of course, it WOULD turn out to be Artificer, Harlequin would laugh his head off, Ehran would be pissed, and the runners would have to stay out of the crossfire.)

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Jan 2 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

QUOTE (Jaid @ Dec 31 2005, 09:59 AM)
hmmm... let's see... necessary gear for fighting a great dragon...

well, assuming you've somehow managed to isolate said dragon (ie his personal army is not around), and you've somehow got some way of not getting murdered by the army of bound spirits he probably has ready at any given time, then i would say an extremely large number of people, standing in a very spread out formation, each using the heaviest gun they can get, with full Auto, shooting wide bursts.

and by biggest gun you can get, i'm not talking about the ones in the core rulebook... i'm talking about the kind that deal naval damage from SR3.

and by extremely large, i mean thousands at least. all of whom would have to have at least 3 IPs.

so, perhaps some crazy amazing drone army action could help you.

That would be major overkill.

All you need is 4+ street samurai with Ingram Valiants w/ gyroharnesses and loaded with EX-EX ammo.

Let's say they have Heavy Weapons 4, Agility 6, and smartlinks. They'll call their shots for +4 DV. That's 8 dice, for 2.6 (repeating) hits.

Great Dragons have Reaction 11. So, fire 2 wide full bursts. You have enough recoil comp to compensate for all of that. Lofwyr spends all of his Edge using his twist fate power to make 3 of the street samurai to reroll their hits, making their attacks ineffective. He takes the last two bursts, and he doesn't roll any dice to dodge (11-5 (wide burst)- 6(previous attacks)=0). So, he soaks 14.6 (repeating) P damage with 25 Body dice+ 10 Armor dice. He'll score 11.6 (repeating) hits, taking 3 Physical Damage from each.

Lofwyr fills in his Physical Track with 6 boxes of damage. He has 14 boxes remaining. Now its Lofwyr's turn. He decides to fry one with his fire breath, because they were smart and spread out to prevent them all being nuked by a single fireball.

So, Lofwyr breaths fire at one, rolling 14 dice on the Exotic Ranged Weapon test, for 4.6 (repeating) successes. The street sam tries to dodge (let's say he has 9 Reaction). So, the poor street sam takes 13P damage, and is probably unconscious and dieing.

So, the other three street sams continue firing at Lofwyr. They all call their shots at +4 DV. They roll their 8 dice, scoring 2.6 (repeating) hits. Lofwyr rolls 11-5-2=4 dice to dodge with against the first attack, scoring 1.3 (repeating) hits. He then soaks 13.3 (repeating) P damage with 25 Body + 10 Armor, scoring 11.6 (repeating) hits, taking 1 box of damage. 13 boxes left.

Lofwyr rolls three dice to dodge the second shot. The .3 fewer hits he scores results in him taking 2 boxes of damage this time. 11 boxes left.

Lofwyr rolls a single die to dodge the third attack (11- 5- 3- 2=1), scoring a mere .3 (repeating) hits. He scores 11.3 successes on the damage resistance test, taking 3 damage. 8 boxes left.

The last three attacks are exactly the same as the first two damaging ones. Lofwyr takes 3P damage from each, sending him into Overdamage. He'll take another box of damage every 1 minute, 15 seconds: He has roughly half an hour for SK medics to show up and save him, unless the sams do something about it. He can't dodge, so if one of them can see where his body fell, it would be easy enough to open up with narrow wide bursts, each of which will deal 9 damage to Lofwyr. It would take 3 of them to finish of Lofwyr off, and then it's time to run like hell and and be as surprised as anything when the executors of Lofwyr's estate give everything he has to them (because old Lofwyr's something of a traditionalist- the people responsable for killing the dragon get his hoard, by dragon traditions, though the other Greats will probably make lucrative offers to get their scaly claws on his memory crystals, which metahumans can't use anyway).

Net result: -1 Street Samurai, -1 Great Dragon. The surviving sams gain control of a megacorp.

A note on the result: This is actually much closer than the equivalent matchups in SR3. It's a sad, sad day when a dragon's best shot at survival is turning itself invisible and running, though.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 2 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #15

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Two words: Control Mob.

"Kill your compatriots."

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Jan 2 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #16

Running Target

And they're spread out far enough that he'd have been better off just frying that one, because he won't be able to get more than one, and if it's in a city, they could very well not have LOS to each other, just the dragon.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 2 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #17

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

And theoretically, the Great Dragon would fail every roll he'd make.

If push comes to shove, and they're in a city, see above. "Control Mob."
"Kill anyone attacking me."

White-walled combat dice tests are wank. A situation is kept fluid by the intelligence of attacker and defender. Should, in this alternate and bizzare shadowrun world, Lofwyr actually feel threatened by these 4 street sam, and is in fact unable to hit more than 1 target at once, and is unable to force them into the open... what is to stop him from simply toppling a building on them?

You're also conveniently neglecting the fact that Lofwyr has Mystic Armor and Hardened Armor 20. Yes, the Great Dragon entry notes that the armors are at +12, not 12. Which means that aforementioned machine guns do precisely dick all to him. That means that should these machine guns be filled with Unobtanium Bullets (for the moment) that enable them to bypass his hardened armor's bounce factor, he's rolling 21.6 (repeating) successes on soak.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Jan 2 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #18

Running Target

*looks at the book*

Hmm... you're right that it's listed as 'Hardened Armor +12'. However, I doubt that that means "Hardened Armor 20", which would have taken up less space, and given that (to my knowledge) GD's have always had Hardened Armor 12...

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Jan 2 2006, 02:10 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (nick012000)
Hmm... you're right that it's listed as 'Hardened Armor +12'. However, I doubt that that means "Hardened Armor 20", which would have taken up less space, and given that (to my knowledge) GD's have always had Hardened Armor 12...

Well, that depends on how you've read the "+10/12" entry in the old editions.
One may read it as +10 Body, 12 Armor, or (as i always did) +10 Body, +12 Armor. So in my campaigns GDs always had 20 hardened armor. And the new edition confirmes that for me. But YMMV of course.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 2 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

So have any of you fellers tried doing this run for your players, if so how well did it go?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 2 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #21

Dragon

One forgets that Leonardo himself could help with the escape; he may or may not have wired secret "Deus Ex Machina" programs into all the equipment there. Then again, Lofwyr may have been smart enough to keep him from making the very equipment that keeps him.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:30 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.