Reply to this topicStart new topic
> vehicle stats screwed up ?
maeel
post Jan 2 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,586

i just realized that the tiltwing in sr4 has a max speed of 120m/turn that got be a typo, even the autogyro is faster...

and what about these strange acceleration rules, does anybody know how these really work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Orb
post Jan 2 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,061

I agree that 120m/turn doesn't make sense. That's only 144kph!!!

Wouldn't be the first time the SR staff have got vehicle stats way wrong - I don't think any of them have ever ridden a motorcycle for one. My 650cc bike can out accelerate most production sports cars and it has only 1/3 of the horsepower of a real racing bike. Take a look at the bike accel stats - the same or worse than a car's. But... back to the main point.

How the acceleration rules work is not that clear. It says that the numbers are (walking speed)/(running speed) - I have no clue what that means.

What I've done is said the if I driver wants to accelerate make a vehicle test and increase speed by the "running speed" + 5m/turn per hit on the vehicle test.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Jan 2 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 248

QUOTE (maeel)
i just realized that the tiltwing in sr4 has a max speed of 120m/turn that got be a typo, even the autogyro is faster...

and what about these strange acceleration rules, does anybody know how these really work?

The "Acceleration" stat isn't used for acceleration anymore (until we see more advanced rules, if any).
The values are just used for Tactical Combat (p. 160), which is used if Characters are involved, so that you know when a car is "walking" or running, for the purpose of modifier determination, and how fast it is.

The Speed value doedn't matter anymore, since even the Chase Combat (p. 160) rules doesn't take it into account. It's just used to determine the timespan it takes, to fly from place A to B.

+Quote Post
maeel
post Jan 3 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Darkness)
QUOTE (maeel @ Jan 2 2006, 03:46 AM)
i just realized that the tiltwing in sr4 has a max speed of 120m/turn  that got be a typo, even the autogyro is faster...

The "Acceleration" stat isn't used for acceleration anymore (until we see more advanced rules, if any).
The values are just used for Tactical Combat (p. 160), which is used if Characters are involved, so that you know when a car is "walking" or running, for the purpose of modifier determination, and how fast it is.

The Speed value doedn't matter anymore, since even the Chase Combat (p. 160) rules doesn't take it into account. It's just used to determine the timespan it takes, to fly from place A to B.

i know that, but still.... speed stats are nonsense! they have to be changed....

about the acceleration...: a t-bird approaches a battle scene at full speed (1000m/turn) to attack a group of goons on the ground, and suddenly he only moves with 250 m/turn... what kind of nonsense is that supposed to be?

and why walkin and running speed?
i either do a full acceleration or i do it a little bit slower, so one max acceleration stat would be more than sufficient.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jan 3 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i expect the walking and running speeds are to reflect the penalties etc from movement.

for example, there are penalties for shooting while running. i would expect those penalties to apply when travelling at "running speed" in a vehicle.

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Jan 3 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (maeel @ Jan 3 2006, 05:04 AM)
about the acceleration...:  a t-bird approaches a battle scene at full speed (1000m/turn) to attack a group of goons on the ground, and suddenly he only moves with 250 m/turn...  what kind of nonsense is that supposed to be?

Well i want to see a t-bird circling and firing on a group of goons in a hilly environment at 1000m/turn. :D
They hear it from a great distance and will seek cover. The t-bird will have to slow down so it coul bring its weapon to better use, while circling the targets.
Those 1000m/ turn are nothing more than the travelling speed for the t-bird, while the "acceleration" values are the "combat speeds".

+Quote Post
maeel
post Jan 3 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Well i want to see a t-bird circling and firing on a group of goons in a hilly environment at 1000m/turn. 
They hear it from a great distance and will seek cover. The t-bird will have to slow down so it coul bring its weapon to better use, while circling the targets.
Those 1000m/ turn are nothing more than the travelling speed for the t-bird, while the "acceleration" values are the "combat speeds".

well that might be your interpretation, but ground fighter jets are still very very effective, allthough everybody has so much time to seek cover....
Why should a t-bird circle over the target area... approach with speed near the sound barrier, attack, disappear.... just like a fighterjet does...

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 3 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

Why? Because a T-Bird's closest analogue to contemporary military hardware isn't a fighterjet, but a tank busting attack helicopter.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jan 3 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #9

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Think the basterd off spring of a Harrier and an A10 Warthog. That my friends is a T-Bird. Ugly, armed, and rather loud.

+Quote Post
maeel
post Jan 3 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Lindt Posted on Jan 3 2006, 03:43 PM
  Think the basterd off spring of a Harrier and an A10 Warthog. That my friends is a T-Bird. Ugly, armed, and rather loud. 
RunnerPaul Posted on Jan 3 2006, 02:45 PM
  Why? Because a T-Bird's closest analogue to contemporary military hardware isn't a fighterjet, but a tank busting attack helicopter. 

i would say the t-bird is right in the middle of it, and yes it could circle over the scene if outfitted with turrets, but could also attack like a jetfighter if it uses fixed mounts...

still, in my opinion the vehicle rules and some of the stats are simply nonsense.....

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Jan 3 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

My interpretation was that the combat speeds also took into account dodging of debris and obstacles, turning corners and such.

+Quote Post
Orb
post Jan 4 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #12

Target

So let me see if I get this right, I have a example of how the rules work.

Player A has been fighting with a Troll and has been loosing badly. Player A decides to jump on his Harley Scorpion (accel 15/30) and take off.

Player A: I accelerate away from the Troll
GM: The Troll runs after you and keeps shooting

Player A: No problem I'll loose him
GM: Actually the Troll runs faster than you can ride on your Harley (Troll's running speed is 35)

Player A: What? I try to out run him
GM: OK roll your Car skill

Player A: I got 2 hits
GM: OK you're going 40 m/cbt Turn, the Troll is keeping up (He rolled 3 hits on a running test).

Player A: This is insane... You're an A^&hole I'm outta here
GM: But that's what the rules say.

Is this right, or have I completely missed something in the rules.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jan 4 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 948

My interpretation of a T-bird is that of fusion between Ah-64 Apache and an A-1 Abrahams tank. Imagine a flying Ambrahams with a crapload of ordinance at it’s disposal.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 4 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (The Jopp)
My interpretation of a T-bird is that of fusion between Ah-64 Apache and an A-1 Abrahams tank. Imagine a flying Ambrahams with a crapload of ordinance at it’s disposal.

That's rather close to how they're described in the canon sources.

+Quote Post
Wizard
post Jan 4 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,114

QUOTE (Orb)
So let me see if I get this right, I have a example of how the rules work.

Player A has been fighting with a Troll and has been loosing badly.  Player A decides to jump on his Harley Scorpion (accel 15/30) and take off. 

Player A:  I accelerate away from the Troll
GM:  The Troll runs after you and keeps shooting

Player A:  No problem I'll loose him
GM:  Actually the Troll runs faster than you can ride on your Harley (Troll's running speed is 35)

Player A: What? I try to out run him
GM: OK roll your Car skill

Player A:  I got 2 hits
GM: OK you're going 40 m/cbt Turn, the Troll is keeping up (He rolled 3 hits on a running test).

Player A:  This is insane... You're an A^&hole I'm outta here
GM:  But that's what the rules say.

Is this right, or have I completely missed something in the rules.

The vehicles stats are acceleration rates. Acceleration is a change in speed, not an absolute speed and that's the way I use it. Not exactly sure why there is a walking/running acceleration rate, I image the more advanced rules will clear that up.

In your example, after the first turn the bike is travelling at 30m/turn. On the second turn after rolling 2 hits the bike accelerates by a further 40m/turn and is now travelling at 70m/turn.

This acceleration can keep on happening until the bike reaches it's maximum safe speed of 120m/turn (140kph). Lets see the troll keep up now.

The bike can go faster as per page 159: Speed is the reasonable high-end maximum velocity of the vehicle. Drivers can accelerate past this, but start suffering real difficulties in trying to get their vehicle to go faster and still maintain control. The gamemaster should apply modifiers as she feels appropriate.

Hope that helps :)

+Quote Post
Darkness
post Jan 4 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wizard)
The vehicles stats are acceleration rates. Acceleration is a change in speed, not an absolute speed and that's the way I use it. Not exactly sure why there is a walking/running acceleration rate, I image the more advanced rules will clear that up.

In your example, after the first turn the bike is travelling at 30m/turn. On the second turn after rolling 2 hits the bike accelerates by a further 40m/turn and is now travelling at 70m/turn.

This acceleration can keep on happening until the bike reaches it's maximum safe speed of 120m/turn (140kph). Lets see the troll keep up now.

The bike can go faster as per page 159: Speed is the reasonable high-end maximum velocity of the vehicle. Drivers can accelerate past this, but start suffering real difficulties in trying to get their vehicle to go faster and still maintain control. The gamemaster should apply modifiers as she feels appropriate.

Hope that helps :)

Well, not exactly.
QUOTE (SR4 @ p.159, Accelleration)
Acceleration
Vehicles have an Acceleration rating that determine their movement rates. The number to the left of the slash is a vehicle’s Walking rate in meters per turn. The number to the right is its Running rate.
A drive or drone can attempt to move a greater distance by making a Vehicle Test (see below). Each hit on the test adds 5 meters to the vehicle’s movement rate.

But nowhere it says, that your movement rates drop after that, until you break of course. If player a gains another 2 successes on his vehicle test, he will go to a speed of 50m/cbt and the Troll will have a hard time getting him, as he gets his Sprinting boost only while he is using a complex action for sprinting.
The Troll will be faster in the beginning, but the bike will outrun him.

+Quote Post
Wizard
post Jan 4 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 8,114

QUOTE (Darkness)
Well, not exactly.
QUOTE (SR4 @  p.159, Accelleration)
Acceleration
Vehicles have an Acceleration rating that determine their movement rates. The number to the left of the slash is a vehicle’s Walking rate in meters per turn. The number to the right is its Running rate.
A drive or drone can attempt to move a greater distance by making a Vehicle Test (see below). Each hit on the test adds 5 meters to the vehicle’s movement rate.

Yeah, now I see the problem. When I read 'Acceleration rating' I automatically assumed that these figures were actually acceleration values, ie, meters per turn per turn.

But by re-reading the text it does seem to allude to that the values are really 'Speed ratings' :(.

In my games I will continue to use them as acceleration rates as it makes more sense to me.

+Quote Post
maeel
post Jan 4 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

i am with u wizard....

But i have to insist that the some of the speed values have to be changed...
Errata 1.4....

+Quote Post
Orb
post Jan 4 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #19

Target

Well this is my plan.

The tactical combat rules work well enough for a vehicle that is actively taking part in combat. By that I mean that it or its passengers are either taking deliberate offence action or are otherwise trying to take part in a tactical combat scenario. I will use the walking/running rate as is and will allow the driver to make a test to increase speed as in the book. I would allow the vehicle to move about the combat scene just a walking person would (i.e. stop, start, turn, etc) - with some limitations (no you can't ride your motorcycle up the ladder). This means that more skilled driver can go faster while attacking.

If a vehicle isn't participating in the combat and is taking some other action such as fleeing or stopping, the tactical combat rules fall apart. For accelerating, I'm going to try this.

Driver makes a driving test and adds 5*hits to the walking speed. This is the speed increase for the vehicle for that combat round. The maximum speed increase is equal to the running speed. Beter drivers can speed up faster (to a limit) and get away from Combat. For deceleration I'll probably use running speed + 5*hits as the speed change.

So here my example with new rules

Player A: I get 2 hits on my driving test
GM: OK, your going 25 m/turn, the Troll is keeping up.

Next round....

Player A: I still want to speed up. This time I get 3 hits.
GM: Ok now you're going 55 m/turn. Bye Bye Mr. Troll

Sounds not so bad, eh?

The only other change I'd make is to vary the 5*hits multiplier based on the vehicle type. Skill should still make a difference for faster vehicle types. Ground vehicles get the 5*, slower aircraft get 10* and high speed (supersonic or near) aircraft get 25*.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.