IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I saw Juan Azcapotzalco, who/what/where/wher/why/(w)how?
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 3 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hallo
Wondered what Juan Azcapotzalco is since reading the Aztlan SB some 10y or so ago. Wondered what became of Juan ever since the Big D went up in smoke. Wondert where he went after taking Big D´s gift since I read Corporate DL.

So Juan Azcapotzalco, CEO of Aztechnology Corporation since 2044 or so. No history before that. Public appearances declined since 48. Last appearance on corp-internal trid in 54.
Presumably has the mojo of an Immortal Elve, but appears to be human (physically at least, but since you can become a pig by mundane PC magic...).
Ancient Files say, he may be a horror construct.
In 57 Big D bequests him a bank peposite box to be opened on the next Festival de Muertos, swearing on his name thet its contents pose no danger to Azcapotzalco, nor Aztech and warning, that most unfortunate consequences shell arrise if his instructions where to be disobeyed.
Juan follows suite and than vanishes again, to be seen by some people in some places, (kinde of like elvis I guess, maybe the chupa chabra took him to mars or something).
According to the not jet released Shadows of Latin America, he participates in peace talks with the Yucatan Rebells in 64 and is assassinated with a bomb by the fethered serpent Dzitbalchén.

So what was he, is he realy dead or did the Azzis just burn a dummy for the vanished CEO, to officially get rid of him (and Dzidbalchén btw)?

My personal favorite allways was Juan being the possessed great western dragon Vestrivan from ED (thoug I know he sacrificed himselfe in the official ED canon. was his corps ever retrived from this cloud of horrors or whatwasit?). Maybe Far Scholar and Vestrivans Brother Vasdenjas finaly found a cure?

So, what do you think? :twirl:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jan 3 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Since Juan had Karma Hazing going on and Aztechnology could make Cyberzombies, I always assumed that Juan was just a Cyberzombie. That Dunkelzahn would deal with him at all indicates to me that he was not a Horror Construct. We know how the big D interacts with Horror Constructs.

As such, if Shadows of Latin America says that he's dead, he's probably dead. He seems to have been living on borrowed time for a long time, it wouldn't be odd for that time to run out.

However, with Aztechnology having access to blood magic and cybermancy, it is equally likely that that Aztechnology could bring him back. If they aren't doing it, it's because there is a substantial amount of shareholder votes blocking the action. So the real question becomes: which side of that argument is Oliver McClure on?

-Frank

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jan 3 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

QUOTE (MK Ultra)
According to the not jet released Shadows of Latin America, he participates in peace talks with the Yucatan Rebells in 64 and is assassinated with a bomb by the fethered serpent Dzitbalchén.

Oh... Really?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 4 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

where'd you get that info? Feel like sharing the wealth?

As for Cyberzombie, I don't think so, because Ehran said that his aura looked ocmpletely mundane, but he sensed power from him, on a scale equal to an IE's. Could he possibly be another immortal? The idea I always favored was that he was a hidden life receptacle for a very powerful spirit. THat would explain why he sensed so much power off of an otherwise normal guy. The box that Big D gave him? Possibly something that he could use against that spirit, like the amulet that D gave to that guy that had been possesed by Buttercup, or something like a ghost/spectre's chain.

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 4 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,853

hey is'nt that the guy from the Dragon heart Tril?

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Jan 4 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

QUOTE (SL James)

Oh... Really?

I think he's quoting the information from FanPro.de's Sixth World Almanac, which includes a few bits of information from SOLA. Can someone confirm this?

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 4 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (SL James @ Jan 3 2006, 04:02 PM)

Oh... Really?

I think he's quoting the information from FanPro.de's Sixth World Almanac, which includes a few bits of information from SOLA. Can someone confirm this?

Right! There is nothing more about Juan in there however. Just a bit more Info about mayor events in Latin America. We would have to wait for Holostreets going online for more of SoLA.

Guess, sometimes it pays to buy a german book anyway :D , thoug I normaly prefer the english version, it doesn´t look like "Die 6. Welt" will be translatet.

Aside from a heap of shortstorys and some interessting trivia, the info not jet published in Sorce Books is not much.

Edit: The spell check sucks!

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jan 4 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #8

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Yet another reason why not selling an English translation to SR's home market is a stupid fucking move.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 4 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #9

Guests

I am with You on that. Back in the FASA days, it was ok, they did not translate every book from the regional license holders, since they were not very well balanced with the FASA mainstream. But since Wizkids and Fanpro started working coser together, they should just do all the books together and in both languages. Same goes for the american SR novels (burning time & born to run) wich were published in german but not in englich (until recently in the lettes case, which is a bit late, since the book is set in the 60s or somthing). :please:

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 4 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no way, james. we wouldn't understand it, and it wouldn't interest us anyway.

+Quote Post
Mister Juan
post Jan 7 2006, 02:22 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 7,129

I sure as hell am not dead! :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 7 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

But is hiding in Quebec that much better? :D

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 7 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

so that's what happened to the real Juan!

Grinder: Thor Drop-Bear Shots before he gets away!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 7 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

:D Yeah, he would be a worthy target for our special commandos.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jan 7 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 4 2006, 09:53 PM)
no way, james. we wouldn't understand it, and it wouldn't interest us anyway.

FanPro has no doubt you would understand it, FanPro has no doubt it would interest you, FanPro doesn't even doubt it would interest to quite a few Dumpshockers too.

There is, however, a significant difference between the aforementioned audience and making a viable economic proposition out of doing a costly translation and the print run of a 500+ page non-standard format book which was custom-written with a German audience in mind and for a significant part focuses on the evolution of the German version of the game.

However, if you have some hard numbers or market data that might have escaped FanPro's please feel free to post it and I'll make a point of bringing it to Rob's attention.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 7 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #16

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

It's funny. We're upset that there's a product out there we can't give the company money for, and the dev team's getting sarcastic at us over complaining about it. Ironic.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 7 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Strange things happen every day :D

Wonder how good the book is selling. I know only two people who actually bought it and i know a lot of SR plays who usually buy every new SR-book (like myself).

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jan 7 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Critias @ Jan 7 2006, 02:02 PM)
It's funny.  We're upset that there's a product out there we can't give the company money for, and the dev team's getting sarcastic at us over complaining about it.  Ironic.

The fact that you are willing to give money for the book, or the fact that I would give money for the English version too (I have the German version sitting useless on the shelf), is completely irrelevant. Even 50 people mailing in demanding the book would probably be irrelevant (although it would be so unusual it would lift some eyebrows) - because for a company the size of FanPro it is simply too risky an investment to make a 500+ page book might or might not sell well, when compared with anything on its current release schedule.

Heck, for all that I'd pay for a Prime Runners 2, that wouldn't make it a viable product.

There's no getting round that the book is targeted almost exclusively at hardcore fans, carries a significant translation cost (for the record: more costly than writing an entirely new book), would require extensive editing, and would carry a higher price tag than most SR books.

Also for the record the book is selling well in Germany, but slower than either Target:AGS or Shockwaves.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 7 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #19

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Aside from a heap of shortstorys and some interessting trivia, the info not jet published in Sorce Books is not much.

Hrm... so, when looking for a nice, tidy factbook, it would be quite useless?

Das war zu befürchten.

+Quote Post
Guest_MK Ultra_*
post Jan 7 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #20

Guests

Tja, mein Dealer hat mich gewarnt, aber ich wollt nicht auf ihn hören :wobble:

But it is quiet usefull to new players, just starting with the 4th Edition, to get an overview of the SR-world. So if You did not read all the old sbs, are interested in this whole background and trivia stuff and a german text is not by default useless to You, because your Language Filter isn´t on par, then it is still worth buying iguess. Has not so much to offer for us old dinosaures except of nostalgic fealings, a small preview on SoLA and some "Ha, I allways sayed X was Y and I was right"-moments (mostly regarding things you can pick up on AH´s hp).

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 7 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Synner)
FanPro has no doubt you would understand it, FanPro has no doubt it would interest you

That's funny. The impression I've gotten from previous posts on this matter was rather to the contrary.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jan 8 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jan 7 2006, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (Synner @ Jan 7 2006, 08:19 AM)
FanPro has no doubt you would understand it, FanPro has no doubt it would interest you

That's funny. The impression I've gotten from previous posts on this matter was rather to the contrary.

Previous posts by whom? Though I can't speak for the other freelancers on here or FanPro itself, every post I've made has cited the economics of publishing this book (including the factors that limit its appeal to the general fanbase) as the biggest obstacle - not the lack of interest from hardcore fans (those will always want everything they can get translated).

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 8 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #23

Uncle Fisty

as much as I hate to say it, what about the costs of translating to PDF only for books that were inteded for German audiences only (like Shockwaves, T:AGS, or the expanded Runner Havens). Is the cost of translation still more than they believe they would make off of it? Honest question, no jibes, just so we're clear.

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Jan 8 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,552

I really don't know much about the business, but I find it really hard to believe that there wouldn't be enough fans to translate the stuff from german to english, granted, it might not be as easy as I think it would. I can read and speak german well enough, so the german-books ain't such a big deal, but it would be cool to get them in english.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jan 8 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jan 8 2006, 06:41 AM)
as much as I hate to say it, what about the costs of translating to PDF only for books that were inteded for German audiences only (like Shockwaves, T:AGS, or the expanded Runner Havens). Is the cost of translation still more than they believe they would make off of it? Honest question, no jibes, just so we're clear.

I've mentioned this before and I'll do it one more time. The price tag on the translation of a German-language book, editing and adapting the content, and replacing some sections with American-relevant content (such as the interviews and development play by play), at current costs would be higher than putting out an entirely new book.

And yes, honest answer, FanPro believes the overall cost of producing a hardcopy translation and adaptation of this book would be less than what they would make off of it (all things considered) - otherwise it would have been translated.

QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
I really don't know much about the business, but I find it really hard to believe that there wouldn't be enough fans to translate the stuff from german to english, granted, it might not be as easy as I think it would.

I seem to remember a bunch of fans getting together to do just that for Shockwaves almost 2 years ago now. Have you seen the finished translation? I certainly haven't - in fact even the overview that someone was doing on DSF wasn't finished.

But that's besides the point. Even if the translation cost was somehow reduced to half, the risks of releasing a 500+ page book with a high price tag geared essentially at hardcore fans (a fraction of the buying audience), when you're an undermanned small press company with a schedule full of new core books for SR4 and all-new setting material don't make it feasible.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.