IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR Statistical Data, Anybody got any numbers?
Lazarus
post Jan 5 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,542

I was going through some of my sourcebooks and I was wondering if anyone has put together some statistics for certain things in the SR world.

Such as:

What is the percentage of magical Awakened?

Does that percentage breakdown into Shamanic, Heremetic, Adapt? Is it all about equal or is there more in one area?

What is the precentage of certain metahumans compared to humanity?

What percentage of the population uses cyberware?

Any canon reference with page number would be helpful. Or anything at all.

I'm just remembering what a game designer for White Wolf said when talking about VTM. Bascially they said how rare an 8th Generation vampire was but then had a whole bunch of them everytime they put out a new book. It got me to thinking about mages in SR. 1% of the population is awakened and even less then that are trained so why is it you seem to run into them all the f**king time? Just curious if anyone else has thought about this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr.Platinum
post Jan 5 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,853

it's most likley your GM is just an evil bastard.

and remeber that your group of players are elite shadow runners , who are trained to deal with every situation and high security.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jan 5 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #3

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

Ahh hell, someone's gonna say it...

But yes, i agree that it's odd that according to "fluff" only 1% of the population is awakened, and an even smaller percentage knows it, but they always manage to find their way into shadowrunning. And that means that the ones that don't become shadowrunners, becomd counter measures. Personally, i think that there should be a higer percentage, officially.

As far as metahumans, i dont think i've ever seen a worldwide breakdown, but i know location books include them for a given area.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 5 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

What percentage of the population is above 6'10" tall?
If you have season tickets to the NBA, how many times are you likely to see someone that tall?

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 5 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #5

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Well, on April 30, 2021 1:10 adults goblinized. If we assum that an equal share of babies had previously been born as elves and dwarves, 20% of the world is metahuman instead of baseline human.

With a quick flip through SoE, Switzerland (86%) and Spain (78%) are the only countries close to the 80% human, most others are closer to 60-65% Each country has a complete demographic breakdown of the different races. SoA has a similar breakdown. (Speculation: The diminished presence of Humans in the overall demographic could be caused by Troll, Orc and Dwarf resistance to toxins and disease due to higher Bod or natural resistances which may have allowed them to better withstand the VITAS outbreaks following Goblinization)

Demographics for cyberware are going to depend greatly on industry, economic status, and type of cyberware. A datajack and image link will be much more common with executives and sararimen than muscle replacement will be, for example. Thus the multitude of variables probably restricts the formation of solid statistics by the fanbase--not to say it isn't out there, simply that I haven't seen it.

Awakenings (p.9) says that as of 2057, 1:100 people are awakened, of that only 1:10 are full mages, the rest are adepts. (Which translated to 3-4 million awakened individuals at that point.) With the arrival of SURGE, I would presume there was a rise in the awakened population due to heightened mana levels and the SURGE effect of partial awakening.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jan 5 2006, 03:28 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Aku @ Jan 5 2006, 01:58 AM)

Cute, very cute.

Originally, about 10% of babies were born UGE and about 10% of the population Goblinized, and 1% SURGEd.

However, this doesn't count VITAS I-III, different breeding rates, localised expression of one metatype over another, crib death, disasters, etc. It also doesn't include metavariants. Adding up the little stats for each country probably won't help, because they don't count the SINless.

Still with 4-5 billion or so metahumans on the planet, you've got at least 40 million Awakened out there. The reason you keep running in to them is the nature of the job; you're more likely to deal with exciting, interesting ninjas trying to kill you than boring stay-at-home husbands. The closest most shadowrunners get to the person on the street is waving hello to the housewife buying the dope she needs to get through life or bodily throwing bystanders at Lone Star in a bad King Kong impression so you can get away.

+Quote Post
Lazarus
post Jan 5 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

So would a datajack be no big deal? Looking at the costs to have one installed, while not out of reach for your average person are still up there. I know that not everyone who uses the matrix decks through a datajack.

Would it be too weak of an analogy to say that having a datajack in SR is like owning a laptop today?

Also on another point does a person need a chipjack to use Simsense?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 5 2006, 04:00 AM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

A chipjack is basicly a datajack that only does one thing, read chips. Everything a chipjack does a datajack can do just as well. Chipjacks appeal to those who want to slot chips while leaving their datajacks free for other things, slotting a Windows 2060 user guide knowsoft while working on your computer, for example. It also allows one to slot multiple chips at multiple times.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 5 2006, 04:04 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Lazarus)
So would a datajack be no big deal?
In some editions of Shadowrun, spending essence on cyberware would give you penalties to certain social tests. Essence spent on datajacks was specifically exempted in these rules, because it was supposed to be the most common implant.

(As an aside, looking at everything that the datajack is capable of doing, and comparing it's essence cost to the essence cost of other cyberware, it's much cheaper than it should be essence-wise, a fact that can be accounted for if you take into consideration that because of its widespread use, it's gone through a couple more R&D product generations than the rest of the cyberware field.)

Would it be too weak of an analogy to say that having a datajack in SR is like owning a laptop today?
I'd say that's an apt analogy. They may even be a little more common than that.

Also on another point does a person need a chipjack to use Simsense?
This is an unusual question, probably spurred by the fact that much of the BTL simsense content comes in chip form. However not all simsense is BTL Chips.

Disregarding the simsense that lets you rig a vehicle or access the matrix in VR, and focusing on entertainment simsense, it comes packaged in several forms. It may be delivered to your home telecom via live feed, it may be available exclusively at simsense theaters, it can come on optical disk based media, or it can come on a chip. Regardless of how the content is delivered, you need a sim player to generate a simsense signal from the raw data (theaters have their own players, you don't have to bring your own).

All that's needed to get a simsense signal from the sim player into the brain is either a datajack or a 'trode net.

Chipjacks are a specialized form of datajack designed processing Knowsoft/Skillsoft chips. However, this kind of chip based data can also be accessed through a standard datajack (If you've ever seen one of those adapters that's a USB plug at one end, and a chip slot for one of those small Flash Memory cards at the other end, just picture one of those for plugging into your datajack).

There's one other type of chip commonly encountered in the Shadowrun setting, and that'd be the BTL chip. This is a chip that contains both a simsense program that's had its sensory levels tweaked so that they're "Better Than Life" and addicting, but also a miniaturized sim player built right onto the chip. You could plug one of these chips into a chipjack, but it's just as easy to access through a standard datajack, or even a 'trode net.

+Quote Post
Lazarus
post Jan 5 2006, 05:07 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Cool. Does that mean you can receive BTL directly from the Matrix or on a disk? Because the BTL is just high signals of simsense that affect certain centers of the brain. Could you say download a BTL from a Matrix site?

I know this may be a dumb question, but which is a "better high" trode net or datajack? I assuming it's a datajack since that deals with decking speed but is it the same for Simsense and BTL?

And just curious how prevelant is BTL use versus narcotics in your game? By narcotics I mean illegal street drugs.

And thanks to all those who have helped with this post so far.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Jan 5 2006, 06:38 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Lazarus)
Cool.  Does that mean you can receive BTL directly from the Matrix or on a disk?  Because the BTL is just high signals of simsense that affect certain centers of the brain.  Could you say download a BTL from a Matrix site?
BTL content available over the matrix is quite possible. However, many street level dealers go to great lengths to protect their product, including copy protection and chips that only play a handful of times before "burning out". If your local dealer found out that you'd uploaded on to the matrix a copy of the chip he just sold you instead of just slotting it yourself like a good little chiphead, he may refuse to sell to you again. If he's a dealer with ties to organized crime, there may even be more severe repercussions. As such, you're not likely to find BTL content on the matrix unless it's the dealer himself putting it up there.

I know this may be a dumb question, but which is a "better high" trode net or datajack?
Material from the first three editions was fairly consistant that the datajack was the preference of the hardcore Simsense Afficinado and/or BTL Addict, that it supposedly gave cleaner, more pure playback. This may have changed in the 4th edition setting, as the 'trode net technology seems more advanced.

I assuming it's a datajack since that deals with decking speed but is it the same for Simsense and BTL?
It's interesting you mention decking speed, because there are two modes of simsense that a cyberdeck can pump into your brain; these are called Cold ASIST and Hot ASIST. Running Hot gives you the best bonuses, but also turns the simsense feed up into the BTL levels.

And just curious how prevelant is BTL use versus narcotics in your game?  By narcotics I mean illegal street drugs.
In my games, they co-exist like cake and pie.

+Quote Post
Lazarus
post Jan 5 2006, 07:04 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Cool. Thanks RP! Very helpful.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 5 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

It is important to note that BTLs are generally safer than street drugs. By the addiction rules in SR3 any modern designer street drug such as Novacoke will kill you within a matter of months. BTLs will only kill you if someone puts Black IC in them.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Jan 5 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

QUOTE (Aku @ Jan 5 2006, 01:58 AM)
:rotfl:

Lets see that again. :rotfl:

As to percentages, the awaken community has increased with adepts recieving reclassification in Sot64 and the 1:100 is an estimate not including accurate stats from the sinless population.
However adventure designers often forget their own rules, though as mentioned runners tend to interact more with these elements than the 95%-97% of humanity in game time, so forget that the normal people are out there.

As to datajacks they are so common amongst upstanding citizens they do not even raise eyebrows, thats cannon sir.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Jan 5 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I tell my players that seeing someone plug something into a datajack in 2053 (yes, I'm retro) is about as remarkable as someone whipping out a PDA or iPod in 2005.

Did SR4 update the orc population demographics? I feel that by 2100 or so, orcs will run the place. It takes 13-16 years to make a human "breeder" and single births are the norm. It takes what, 8-10 years to make an ork breeder? And multiple births are the norm.

Orks are making little orks a lot faster than humans are making little humans.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Jan 5 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
I tell my players that seeing someone plug something into a datajack in 2053 (yes, I'm retro) is about as remarkable as someone whipping out a PDA or iPod in 2005.

Did SR4 update the orc population demographics? I feel that by 2100 or so, orcs will run the place. It takes 13-16 years to make a human "breeder" and single births are the norm. It takes what, 8-10 years to make an ork breeder? And multiple births are the norm.

Orks are making little orks a lot faster than humans are making little humans.

Funny, I think it was the CalFree Sourcebook where the section on Orkland had a rebuttal Shadowtalk post to the demographics that added up to like 160% Orks being a very large proportion of that. It would seem reasonable that Orks would be a gradually increasing percentage of the population, while most of the others declined just because of the differences in reproductive patterns. However generally speaking the shorter lifespan and higher poverty rates (and the accompanying rates of malnutrition, disease, still birth, child mortality, violent crime rates, etc.) of orks would probably keep this increase from being drastic.

A world census sourcebook would be a fascinating project, or maybe a CIA World Factbook 2070 edition?

+Quote Post
TheHappyAnarchis...
post Jan 5 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,978

There's also the fact that mages are not likely to be sitting around on a couch watching TV, pulling 9-5s at the local stuffer shack.

If you are a mage that instantly makes you a valuable asset, and you will be getting used by someone some time, or becoming a big enough fish to not be used.

Even if you stay small and try to avoid things, someone will try and sacrifice you for a nasty spell.

You've got to consider that being head of astral security at the local airport is the low end of mages. Well, except magical enforcer for a street gang.

Either way, you start up higher on the totem pole than others do by nature of the fact that you are awakened.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jan 5 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #18

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

Also, with thr NBA comparison, that is only a valid point, to a certain extent, after all, if you see every team play in a given season, that you'll see every player over 6'X, and the next time you see the Bulls play, you can't say, "oh yea, i saw 6 more guys over 6'X today" You're seeing the same people, thus no more counting for you.

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Jan 5 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

Being a mage must rock.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jan 6 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Lazarus)
What is the precentage of certain metahumans compared to humanity?

I once summed up all the country demographics given in SoE into a total then calculated averages.
Looks like this:
CODE
Human: 67.29%
Elf:   10.35%
Ork:    9.18%
Dwarf:  7.24%
Troll:  4.71%
Other:  1.29%

(Metavariants are included with their parent metatypes.)

+Quote Post
Ed Simons
post Jan 8 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
I once summed up all the country demographics given in SoE into a total then calculated averages.
Looks like this:
CODE
Human: 67.29%
Elf:   10.35%
Ork:    9.18%
Dwarf:  7.24%
Troll:  4.71%
Other:  1.29%

(Metavariants are included with their parent metatypes.)

I came up with:

Asia - Human 75.9%, Elf 4.8%, Dwarf 5.5%, Ork 10.8%, Troll 1.7%, Other 1.3%
Europe - Human 69.5%, Elf 8.7%, Dwarf 6.3%, Ork 10.2%, Troll 4.2%, Other 1%
North America - Human 65.7%, Elf 9.7%, Dwarf 6.7%, Ork 12.4%, Troll 4.8%, Other .8%

World Average - Human 72.9%, Elf 6.4%, Dwarf 5.9%, Ork 10.9%, Troll 2.7%, Other 1.2%

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.